Mad Men.

Comments

• Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,372
    Forum Member
    I knew that something was up with Bob Benson. Now we know what. That being said, there are probably much better options for a gay guy in Manhattan than Pete bloody Campbell.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get the feeling Bob Benson is just playing Pete like he is playing everyone, no one knows who he really is, he is dark horse!
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    I watched the Favours episode before A Tale of Two Cities by mistake, but boy Favours was the best episode!. Bob Benson coming on to Pete was just like wtf!!! And Sally seeing Don 'comforting' the neighbour!! Season always starts off slow and then boom!
    The 'comforting' scene was one of the best scenes ever of MM...which could be the beginning of the end of Don, and Sally may never get over...it was an Epic Scene.
    "You hate that Daddy supports my dreams. You just think I'm a pain in the ass."

Did like the Rat trouble Peggy had, Pete too with his Mum&Manolo and Bob the Knee...yes-wtf.:eek:

And the draft dodger Mitchell; Sally's friend mentioned someone called Mark Lindsay {pop star from the 60's} who he looked like, he did.;)

"Imagine if every time Ginger Rogers jumped in the air, Fred Astaire punched her in the face."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Third episode in and it has been utterly dreadful. I am such a huge fan too.
    Nothing is happening. Don looks like he is going to fall asleep in every scene, Megan is still the most annoying creature in the shows history, Peggy and Joan are shrews and even Roger's antics are too stupid.

What happened.
  • RavenRaven Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    What happened.

Remember everyone walking round say that in the 70's :(:confused::cry:
  • RavenRaven Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks to me like they are going for the "realistic" approach to the last season.

Jeez its really kinda sucking, its Madison Avenue afterall - We deserve a "Happy Ever After"

It does look like its been filmed in little sections that have been pieced togather and has really lost its flow- that said maybe things will improve as it reaches the climax
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm still enjoying it. even bought a Now TV entertainment pass so I don't have to leech off my daughter's sky sub!
  • xander63xander63 Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still enjoying it as well, I think Matthew Weiner's decision to split the shows final season over 2 years has had massive negative impact with viewers.

I think this time next year the viewers will probably come back to see how things finally wrap up.

I personally don't care whether there is critical buzz about this or any other show I watch, as long as it satisfy's myself on a personal level is what counts.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still watching, but it's no longer "must see" for me like some other shows still are... I can happily watch it later in the week.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never cared when I watched it, that's not my definition of "must see" - most of the last series I didn't watch until months after broadcast.
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've forgotten most of what happened last season. Can anyone help me out?

What happened to Bob Benson? (Did Pete do something)

Pete Campbell, Is he now divorced from Trudy?

Who's the new guy in Dons office (The one who doesn't care for Peggy)

Is Joan still married to the doctor? Is he still in Nam?

Finally, who knows about Don's true identity? (i remember that Pete and Betty know) Is it even still a thing?

Thanks!
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    logansdad wrote: »
    I've forgotten most of what happened last season. Can anyone help me out?

What happened to Bob Benson? (Did Pete do something)

Pete Campbell, Is he now divorced from Trudy?

Who's the new guy in Dons office (The one who doesn't care for Peggy)

Is Joan still married to the doctor? Is he still in Nam?

Finally, who knows about Don's true identity? (i remember that Pete and Betty know) Is it even still a thing?

Thanks!

I'll try but I'm not even certain with some of those.

1) Pete found out he was a fraud but decided not to take him on (after how it turned out when he tried to strongarm Don/Dick). Then after Ken gave up the Chevy account they gave it to Bob, so he's now in Detroit looking after that.

2) I don't think so, but I'm not certain.

3) Lou Avery - Don's (interim?) replacement as creative director. Duck Phillips brought him in during the season 6 finale as Don was leaving.

4) I think they got divorced and he went back to Vietnam.

5) Bert Cooper also knew ages ago (when Pete revealed it) but didn't care at the time.

I've enjoyed the season so far (but why is Megan still on the show???). The scenes last week between Don and Sally were brilliantly crafted. I'm a bit disappointed they're going to show the final 7 episodes next year. Its popularity is on the wane and I worry it'll get forgotten.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sticking with it, but i'm also disapointed that the final season is being stretched over such a length of time.
    The last episode i saw had me rolling my eyes when Peggy mistaook her secretarys roses as her own. Mad Men has never really did something so "soap opera" as that before and it belonged to a lesser show and i don't believe Peggy would act so rash tbh.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sticking with it, but i'm also disapointed that the final season is being stretched over such a length of time.
    The last episode i saw had me rolling my eyes when Peggy mistaook her secretarys roses as her own. Mad Men has never really did something so "soap opera" as that before and it belonged to a lesser show and i don't believe Peggy would act so rash tbh.

I think the incident with the roses was a coming-together of two of the strands in the series so far: Peggy's dislliusionment with SC&P (if that's what it's called now) and the underlying racism in American culture. That episode had a lot of references to racist attitudes and Peggy's immediate assumption that a big bouquet of roses could not be for her black secretary was a sign that even a feminist can have some deeper prejudices, even if she's not aware of them. Also it was classic Mad Men awkwardness: no one learned from it or came out of it a better person.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    I think the incident with the roses was a coming-together of two of the strands in the series so far: Peggy's dislliusionment with SC&P (if that's what it's called now) and the underlying racism in American culture. That episode had a lot of references to racist attitudes and Peggy's immediate assumption that a big bouquet of roses could not be for her black secretary was a sign that even a feminist can have some deeper prejudices, even if she's not aware of them. Also it was classic Mad Men awkwardness: no one learned from it or came out of it a better person.

I see what your saying. Perhaps it was the way the scene was acted/filmed, it came over quite clumsy and made me feel as if i was watching a tv show which Mad Men has never done to me before, it's always been so real and true I've felt as though I've been peeking in on real peoples lives!

I think i'm hankering for the old days at the office..Don swanning about, Roger, whisky in hand delivering sarcastic putdowns, Pete sliming away in the corner..!
    I know the plots have to develop and things change but i do miss them when they were in their heyday.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    I've enjoyed the season so far (but why is Megan still on the show???).

Hell, why is Betty still on the show?

At least Megan is still married to Don and still sees him.

Betty serves no purpose to the show. Now Sally is away at school, Betty is not needed to enable there to be Sally scenes, and does anyone really care about what her and Henry are doing?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'm still watching - only complaint is maybe there are too many irrelevant characters - Betty and her scenes seem pointless. But overall every season, complaints start that its too slow and its lost its way - only to be praised later in the season. Its never been fast paced to start with.

What seems key is Don is behaving himself with women and Megan...and has been keeping tabs on the agency and knows exactly what is going on and now has a foot in the door... he has a plan and I wouldn't want to be Joan or Peggy when he gets back to the top but he's getting on with the new Pete and Roger fought his corner despite their ups and downs.

And the references to Ted's moping in California and Peggy loosing it - thats building up somewhere.
    Forum Member
    Some thoughts...

Why bring back Betty? For god's sake. Go away you awful woman. Your kids don't love you? Hey imagine that huh? Maybe if she didn't turn every little thing into a massive drama, they would.

Megan dumping Don was the best thing that could have happened to Don. I hated her. He should be glad he never has to look at her terrifying teeth again.

Joan in knee high boots looked sexier than ever.

Don should have ripped up that contract, punched them all in the face and then pissed all over the desk.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    A rather uncomfortable episode for all involved! Betty really hasn't changed at all since season. She might be the only one who hasn't! Still so self-absorbed and immature. She did have the best line of the episode though:

Bobby: "I think she likes you."
    Betty: "Yes, well, that blouse says she likes everyone." :D

I was surprised to see the attitudes of Peggy and Joan towards Don. Peggy's just been uber-cranky this season, but I thought Joan was the only one who "gets" Don. Even when the other partners decided she should sleep with the guy at Jaguar to seal the deal, he was the only one who opposed it.

I didn't think I would be but I'm rooting for Don at the moment.
    Joan in knee high boots looked sexier than ever.

Oh yes!
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I first watched Mad Men I thought Betty was a bitch. Then I watched it from the start upto the end of series 4 and I thought she's not that bad. Especially in the first season. She tries really hard to make things perfect for Don but he pays little to no attention whatsoever. And of course his constant cheating doesn't help her.

She tried sweet once, and she still got her heart broken. Now she'd rather put up a brick wall and alienate herself from those around her and her true feelings. She grew up in a time when success for a woman was to look beautiful. Now the world is changing and she doesn't quite know how to deal with it. Altough I'm sure she's a well educated woman. She had a good upbringing and she's quite often shown with a book in her hand. Betty is a smart lady, but she just can't see how her smarts can work better for her than her looks.

It's very hard, though, to have sympathy for someone who reacts more childishly to a situation than her eight year old kid.

I think she's a very interesting character. The show would be poorer without her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    I think this season shows how much Don has changed.
    He is faithful to Megan and ironically she dumps him citing infedelitity as one of the reasons
    The Don of yesteryear would never have accepted those conditions on his contract
    The old Don would never have worn that polyester brown suit either lol
  • SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see what your saying. Perhaps it was the way the scene was acted/filmed, it came over quite clumsy and made me feel as if i was watching a tv show which Mad Men has never done to me before, it's always been so real and true I've felt as though I've been peeking in on real peoples lives!

I think i'm hankering for the old days at the office..Don swanning about, Roger, whisky in hand delivering sarcastic putdowns, Pete sliming away in the corner..!
    I know the plots have to develop and things change but i do miss them when they were in their heyday.

I think that's my main problem with this series so far. There's none of that. All the main characters are spread around and hardly interact with each other. Don is at home, Pete in Florida, Roger in some hotel. Hopefully Don coming back to work will centralise things a bit more and we can have more of that interplay between the characters that we care most about.
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This show is starting to stink up the joint. I hope it drastically improves quickly.
    Forum Member
    I was surprised to see the attitudes of Peggy and Joan towards Don. Peggy's just been uber-cranky this season, but I thought Joan was the only one who "gets" Don. Even when the other partners decided she should sleep with the guy at Jaguar to seal the deal, he was the only one who opposed it.

That bothered me too. Peggy was outraged Don had returned. Why? She wouldn't even have a career if it wasn't for him. He offered her comfort when she gave up her baby, and has protected her loads of times. Why was Joan so angry? He gallantly raced to her defence when that Jaguar guy wanted her to sleep with him, and they really seemed to connect during that episode when she had a meltdown.

Cooper is an ungrateful bastard too. Don kept that company afloat for years. Only Roger stood by him. Nothing Don did was worse than loads of shit other people in that company have done. Hell, Roger once sabotaged a deal with a client because they were Japanese, and vomited in front of other clients.

The whole "Los Angeles" thing has been a massive distraction. Megan derailed this show. Too many pointless characters (Michael, Stan etc....) and now Betty is back for no reason at all. I'll pull my hair out if Don goes back to her. Where's Bob Benson? What happened to his friendship with Joan? I miss Lane. He gave the show a real momentum. Harry is still hanging around doing nothing. Ken is stuck with an eyepatch.

It's still a great show but it's lost its way. I mean seriously, how easy would it have been to write Betty's story in that last episode? It basically boiled down to "Betty Gets Angry Over A Sandwich".
This discussion has been closed.