Sara a trained barrister???

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe Sara worked for a small family firm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    TBB wrote: »
    Barristers can be paid up to £200,000 but if she won the show she would have only been paid £100,000? I don't get the logic of some people :p Or is it just a case of wanting her 5 minutes?

some counsel get paid that and much more BUT starting out they don't. getting a degree of fame, unless she made a tit of herself, she'll get more work through people being curious about her. it will give her a kick-start in reputation.

personally, I liked her and thought she was arguably the prettiest woman this year. she also comes over well in the likeability stakes.

lawyers out of law school/bar school are not the finished article and I have come across worse articulators than her.
    Forum Member
    I doubt Sara has obtained a pupillage as she is only 25 - she has an LLB, LLM (which takes her to 22/23 yrs old at the least), and then the BVC (23/24)...so did she save her father's company in one year and do her one year pupillage?...hmmm she's lying about something.

She would have to obtain a position in a top-flight chambers to make really good money as a barrister. If she did do a pupillage, she probably worked in a local chambers doing criminal/legal aid work, and realised she wouldn't make anymore money than a mid-level civil servant. Hence, her move to 'international car sales'.

The Telegraph call her a 'trainee barrister'.

LL.B. is automatic on the degree course, but LL.M. is only 'honourary' if it is an Oxbridge one - they are so prestigious that managing to pass the basic degree and then living an extra year on top entitled people to ask to have it upgraded to an LL.M. - that was the case for my former senior partner anyhow. It's probably why they have to emphasise where they went, so that people don't think it's a proper LL.M.

most "high-street" lawyers including counsel in regional chambers earn a lot less than the public generally expect, so she probably chose a more lucrative career.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe we are all questioning Sara'a profession simply because she got the tense of a word wrong whilst under the pressure of being on a radio show :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Spoon wrote: »
    LL.B. is automatic on the degree course, but LL.M. is only 'honourary' if it is an Oxbridge one - they are so prestigious that managing to pass the basic degree and then living an extra year on top entitled people to ask to have it upgraded to an LL.M. - that was the case for my former senior partner anyhow. It's probably why they have to emphasise where they went, so that people don't think it's a proper LL.M.

most "high-street" lawyers including counsel in regional chambers earn a lot less than the public generally expect, so she probably chose a more lucrative career.

Spoon, I haven't got a clue how your comments relate to Sara - I never said any of her degrees were honorary. She took a 3 yr LLB at Leicester Law School and an LLM supposedly full-time which takes 1 year = 4 yrs study, taking her to 22/23 years old minimum.

Oxford does not grant LLBs or LLMs at all, so no one can upgrade to an LLM. The BA in law is upgraded to an MA. The LLM equivalent is the Mjur or BCL which students must study for - there is no automatic upgrade for these degrees.

At Cambridge the BA becomes an MA after the degree has been held for 2 years (this is for all Cantab BAs not just law). Once again, no upgrade to an LLM is available. Cambridge does offer an LLM but a student must study for this. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Spoon, I haven't got a clue how your comments relate to Sara. :)

I was thinking that about Spoon's post aswell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nwbrfc wrote: »
    Oh ok and Jennifer M really was the best sales person in Europe was she? And Kevin really was a bank manager? I worked in a bank for 15 years and I know the he could not have reached management status in a bank at his age. And when you say "she's obviously got all the qualifications and training" - what evidence are you basing that on?

Uhuh.

Tell that to my bank manager who is about the same age as Kevin....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    big-mother wrote: »
    Uhuh.

Tell that to my bank manager who is about the same age as Kevin....

Your bank manager has probably achieved his/her position via a graduate scheme. My cousin was a bank manager at 23/24 after using a graduate scheme - albeit just a local branch. It's hard to see how Kevin was able to work his way up - usually people with no higher education in banks hit a glass ceiling fairly quickly.

Even a fully-fledge bank manager in a large city branch doesn't earn porche money. I would imagine Kevin's porshe is a dinky toy, or 15 years old.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    radiance wrote: »
    I don't doubt Sara did the BVC - it's not hard to get onto, and you can call yourself a barrister afterwards, it's getting a pupillage that is difficult and apparently she never tried to get one but went straight into business...

I agree i dont think shes done her pupillage yet. Im assuming she thought the family business was a more worthwhile cause plus she wants to be her own boss.
  • lumpbottomlumpbottom Posts: 18,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bevheth wrote: »
    She has a BA (Hons) in Law and Economics from the University of Leicester and was in international car sales.
    The other one who was in law was Nicholas De Lacy Brown who had an LLB from King's College London and had passed his bar exams.

Neither defended themselves well in the boardroom.
    International car sales covers a multitude of jobs. I could say I was in international car sales as I did all the factory ordering for stock and customers from both European and Japanese manufacturers.
    You could also say the same about salesperson on the showroom floor, the 17 year old in admin who fills out the forms to register them, or the valeter who prepares them.

It could also be a importer of dodgy second hand 4x4s.
    Kevin has 2 A levels and a food hygiene course. As well as Porsches and property. He must be a manager at Coutts.
    Only 2 A levels?:eek:
    His Porsche was probably a fifteen year old 944.
    Property could be a shed he bought to put at the bottom of his parents' garden.

In the bank I used to used everyone was a manager, but only one of them actually managed the bank.
    Forum Member
    Spoon, I haven't got a clue how your comments relate to Sara - I never said any of her degrees were honorary. She took a 3 yr LLB at Leicester Law School and an LLM supposedly full-time which takes 1 year = 4 yrs study, taking her to 22/23 years old minimum.

Oxford does not grant LLBs or LLMs at all, so no one can upgrade to an LLM. The BA in law is upgraded to an MA. The LLM equivalent is the Mjur or BCL which students must study for - there is no automatic upgrade for these degrees.

At Cambridge the BA becomes an MA after the degree has been held for 2 years (this is for all Cantab BAs not just law). Once again, no upgrade to an LLM is available. Cambridge does offer an LLM but a student must study for this. :)

shows how much I know! I had assumed that she had an auto-LL.M., not an earned one. therefore, I assumed that she could get on with other things whilst waiting for her degree upgrade to be installed.

I forgot that Oxbridge law degrees were BA not LL.B. - despite going for interview back in my pre-degree days...

some places you could choose whether to have your degree as an LL.B. or a BA, depending on whether you expected to use it to enter the legal profession.

if she's done her LL.M. then well done to her. I still think flogging top-end motors would gross more than a career in the law though. but there again, I've had one of those days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lumpbottom wrote: »
    International car sales covers a multitude of jobs. I could say I was in international car sales as I did all the factory ordering for stock and customers from both European and Japanese manufacturers.
    You could also say the same about salesperson on the showroom floor, the 17 year old in admin who fills out the forms to register them, or the valeter who prepares them.

It could also be a importer of dodgy second hand 4x4s.

Sara works for Dhada Motors of Leicester. A family firm. www.dhada.com
  • lumpbottomlumpbottom Posts: 18,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sara works for Dhada Motors of Leicester. A family firm. www.dhada.com

Doesn't tell you much.
    Looks like a non-franchised importer of non British spec. vehicles who doesn't take trade ins but will sell your car for you for a cut of the price it makes. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    You have no idea how long it took to dig this out!

If you trawl through a zillion Google entries you eventually come across this:-

Legal News from The Times 17/12/2004

She's listed as Sarah Dhada (Leicester) under Benefactors Scholarships, Middle Temple, Major Scholarships 2004 (BVC).

That might give further clues to her education.

She does seem rather inarticulate for a lawyer though.

Maybe it's a simple case of losing what she was taught after flogging cars for a number of years?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    You have far too much time on your hands:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Imy786 wrote: »
    You have no idea how long it took to dig this out!

If you trawl through a zillion Google entries you eventually come across this:-

Legal News from The Times 17/12/2004

She's listed as Sarah Dhada (Leicester) under Benefactors Scholarships, Middle Temple, Major Scholarships 2004 (BVC).

That might give further clues to her education.

She does seem rather inarticulate for a lawyer though.

Maybe it's a simple case of losing what she was taught after flogging cars for a number of years?

Again, this means nothing. It just means she had some funding towards her BVC. It doesn't mean she ever did pupillage or got tenancy, just that she took the BVC, which again is very easy indeed to get onto.