Comments

• sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it, I like it a lot
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, they didn't stay under wraps for very long, did they. ;)

Got to admit they look pretty fantastic, though.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They look good!
    They look much more cyborg-esque and less robot-like whilst still not being too different from the previous design.
    They do look a bit plastic-y, but I suppose that may change when we see the final episode.

Overall, I'm pleased. Definitely looking forward to this episode.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    They look good!
    They look much more cyborg-esque and less robot-like whilst still not being too different from the previous design.
    They do look a bit plastic-y, but I suppose that may change when we see the final episode.

Overall, I'm pleased. Definitely looking forward to this episode.

Probably just because they're new, they only started using them on location yesterday.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably just because they're new, they only started using them on location yesterday.

Yes, that's why I said that it will probably change.
    Forum Member
    Yes, that's why I said that it will probably change.

I don't mean new as in new to us (which is what I presumed you meant from "when we see them in the final episode"), I meant new as in not newly made (not worn in).
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at those Cybermen, the front, side and back view are just right.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    But are these new sleek models Mondas or cybus ?
    Forum Member

Judging by their heads and this:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a436955/doctor-who-writer-neil-gaiman-i-want-to-make-cybermen-scary-again.html

Mondas
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All Cybermen since Series 5 have been Mondasian they just could not afford to change the costumes when they first appeared in TPO.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member

That Gaiman comment has got me ridiculously excited. Looks like they are going to turn down the hydraulic stomping noise. Good. :). I really liked the alternate universe cyberman story with the airships and battersea etc. A very good couple of episodes. But I am very much looking forward to having some good old fashioned non stompy cybermen back. Fingers crossed.
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....Are they different?
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member

Yes. Definitely.
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn't call it a redesign, just a spruce up.
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't call it a redesign, just a spruce up.

Call it what you like, it's a redesign, these are not the old ones slightly modified, they're designed and built from scratch. They've just designed them similar enough to be recognisable to the casual new who viewer.
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All Cybermen from Series 1-6 were Cybus. I'm assuming these new ones will be mondasian, though Gaiman may just leave it for the viewer to decide as they did in 5/6.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, will this be a VOTD style episode where the old models briefly appear alongside the new ones?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big thumbs up from me love the new look..:)
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    All Cybermen since Series 5 have been Mondasian they just could not afford to change the costumes when they first appeared in TPO.

Didn't the Cybermen in TPO have Cybus logos? I assumed the first appearance of the Mondasian Cybermen was A Good Man Goes to War. Though it has never been explicitly stated they are from Mondas.

I'm not convinced Gaiman's story will mention Mondas. I think there will be no mention of their origins. Cybermen are just Cybermen.

Having said that this new design is kind of an hybrid of Mondasian and Cybus. I like it, much sleeker.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »
    Didn't the Cybermen in TPO have Cybus logos? I assumed the first appearance of the Mondasian Cybermen was A Good Man Goes to War. Though it has never been explicitly stated they are from Mondas.

I'm not convinced Gaiman's story will mention Mondas. I think there will be no mention of their origins. Cybermen are just Cybermen.

Having said that this new design is kind of an hybrid of Mondasian and Cybus. I like it, much sleeker.
    The new design looks awesome. I do think it would be better to forget about Mondas and Cybus from now on. Call them Cybermen and just leave it at that.

On the other hand, to have the new design as the Mondasmen and the old one as the Cybusmen (with or without logos) in a 'civil war' would be awesome.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They did have Cybus Logos but like I said they could not (at that point) afford to change them. They managed a small change (removal of the Logo) for AGMGTW.

Pretty sure it was stated (by Moffat I think) that they were meant to be Whoverse Cybermen and not Cybusmen (the skull in the helmet adds to this as well*).

*yes the Cybusmen did start doing conversions where the human body was mostly left intact when their resources ran low but the usual conversion was just a brain in a robotic body.
  • king yrcanosking yrcanos Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're not that different :rolleyes:
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent! [clenches fist in a camp manner]

It would be nice if the Cyber King (from The Next Doctor) could be mentioned as alien technology that fell from the sky and was adapted by the Mondasians.
  • stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're not that different :rolleyes:

Thank Zod. I thought I was the only one.

They're still massively closer to what we've had since 2006 than any of the versions seen in the Original Series.