Options

Religion just isnt COOL enough

Comments

• Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That doesn't surprise me. I'm in my 20's and I only know a small number of people, whom are around about my age, who are religious.

We had to have a meeting with a vicar a month or so back, as we were trying to find out the exact location of a family grave.

He said he'd meet us after the Sunday service, where he happened to be calling the banns for a relative's wedding. He'd talk to us as the parishioners had their after church coffee.

There was not a single solitary parishioner under 70, maybe 75. Not one. Not a sausage. Pas une sausage. Less than a dozen of them, too.

Same story here in my parish. I have seen em going in and out. I suspect those urban churches with a younger congregation, are more of the nutjob Alpha Course American right wing evangelical persuasion - charismatic religion (Jesus with guitars). So they are anomalous. The vast majority of rural churches are just six pensioners, five of whom are WI.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Talking of hostility to religion do you still want to have one of the major religions banned and all its priests deported?

wns_195 wrote: »

Yes.

Then it is clearly not just People who don’t follow religion who perceive that the wrong done in the name of religion reflects the teachings of those religions.

At least one person who follows a religion, i.e. yourself, does precisely that.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We like to think we're all independent thinkers - I'm not totally convinced - much of what we are is a product of our friends and age culture.

Religion is not cool at the moment, not many young people believe in a 'something'. Back in the late 60's it was very cool to believe in a 'something'.

It's in our Western nature to think we are progressing - so atheists are encouraged by the current view that science and rationality is taking over from religion - and that religion is dying out at least here.

I believe the truth is that youth culture is cyclical - and middle aged belief is rooted in the youth culture it came from. I think religion will become cool again - not in the form of the old established Christian church goers - but in some new form where people take delight again in arationality and wisdom poetry and are not afraid to call that being spiritual.

Last year I went to a Frank Turner concert and the whole hall sang as one 'There is no God', a month later I was in the same concert hall listening to the whole hall sing 'The Spirit Carries On' with Dream Theater. Nothing stays the same for very long - and I suspect the current road to atheism is not a one way trip.
  • Options
    RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Religion isn't a trend. That said I don't believe in mass
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm both a Christian and a Southampton supporter...And it's not my faith that stops me from being cool and smooth!! :(:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm both a Christian and a Southampton supporter...And it's not my faith that stops me from being cool and smooth!! :(:mad:

What is it then, poor fashion sense or something?
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    I think the fact that religion hasn't really progressed for hundreds of years doesn't help. Their attempts to modernise tend to be embarrassing at best.

I do believe it's primarily science, reasoning and mass communication that has caused the development of more free thinkers however.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Dove wrote: »
    Oh it's a cult and isn't recognised as a religion here in the UK. Mind you it still gets more than £300,000 of taxpayers' cash every year

is that through tax breaks?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RickWhite wrote: »
    What is it then, poor fashion sense or something?

Was a sly dig at my beloved Football team! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was a sly dig at my beloved Football team! :(

Haha what a fool I am! I don't do football so that was well over my head. I'm sure you look divine and sexy x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the fact that religion hasn't really progressed for hundreds of years doesn't help. Their attempts to modernise tend to be embarrassing at best.

I do believe it's primarily science, reasoning and mass communication that has caused the development of more free thinkers however.

I don't know if I agree with that. I certainly don't agree with science. Certainly some religious people lack reasoning, no one's denying that. But I'm fairly into science and I have a lot of books written by scientists who are Christians, I believe in Evolution and I believe in the big bang but I'm still a Christian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RickWhite wrote: »
    Haha what a fool I am! I don't do football so that was well over my head. I'm sure you look divine and sexy x

Well I certainly like to think so and I don't often flirt with people called "Rick" but it IS nearly 2013 after all ;););)
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Religion was always going to decline with the explosion of the internet and the ability for people to research science much more easily.
  • Options
    confuddledconfuddled Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I certainly like to think so and I don't often flirt with people called "Rick" but it IS nearly 2013 after all ;););)

book a room gentlemen:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno, people who are not religious wear crosses and other religious symbols such as rosary beeds. I would say certain aspects of religion are quite cool, if not for the wrong reasons.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Dunno, people who are not religious wear crosses and other religious symbols such as rosary beeds. I would say certain aspects of religion are quite cool, if not for the wrong reasons.

It can be argued that the Catholic church in particular wasn't above taking on aspects of pagan religions it considered popular in its early days. The "The Dark Ages: An Age of Light," that was recently on BBC4 had an episode that covered it.
  • Options
    The DoveThe Dove Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    is that through tax breaks?
    Mostly through rates relief as local Councils can make discretionary awards.

'Church' members are told they have to donate all they can to buy new 'Ideal Orgs'. These expensive buildings are purchased and have built up quite a nice propery portfolio for headquarters in America.

Us taxpayers help save the 'Church' hundreds of thousands in the UK every year and David Miscavige is laughing all the way to the bank.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The internet has had a big hand in the decline of religion - where before youngsters just had to take their parents' word for it, now there's a whole world of contrasting opinion online.
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aliens coming down in spaceships?

Well, there is mounting evidence that life beyond earth is possible, and we know spaceships are real because we have built them ourselves........so in a way, it could be considered more grounded in reality than many religions which speak of gods, angels, resurrection etc - for which there is no evidence.
  • Options
    MissliMissli Posts: 3,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the problem with religion these days that it just isnt cool?

I dont think ive ever met someone that's into religon that is cool and kinda smooth.

Why dont certain religons have a marketting dept? just like any other business.

Define cool, to have a religion is. Think it's more about personality.
  • Options
    CatWolfCatWolf Posts: 2,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    The internet has had a big hand in the decline of religion - where before youngsters just had to take their parents' word for it, now there's a whole world of contrasting opinion online.

Yes, its causing the rapid decline and death of religion in America for example.:)
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    CatWolf wrote: »
    Yes, its causing the rapid decline and death of religion in America for example.:)

Is that actually true?
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    O'Neill wrote: »
    Is that actually true?

I think the comment may have been an ironical one. :)
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CatWolf wrote: »

Not sure if serious, but atheism is on the rise in the US - even at a higher rate than its population increase.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think in schools they're definitely trying to make religious belief cool. Not necessarily when teaching R.E., but at my old school they often booked religious bands to perform gigs during lesson time, and attendance was compulsory. What was worse was that these bands were either heavy metal, rap-based or indie rock. I dunno, I just think there's a bit of cynicism in booking those bands in particular - so they're singing about loving Jesus but also doing it in a cool way to attract more people to Christianity. I just found it all a bit questionable really, and I held those sentiments even when I was 12. I'm not sure if this happens in many other schools at all.