Do you still read childrens books as an adult?

Comments

• Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've also got all the Faraway Tree books which I love. Mine are the ones my Mum read as a child so they star Jo, Fanny, Bess, their cousin Dick and Dame Slap. None of this Joe, Frannie, Beth, cousin Rick and Dame Snap nonsense.

Oh yes they renamed the characters for the cartoon series because of the Fanny & Dick names also Dame Slap was deemed inappropriate as she used corporal punishment.

They also renamed the pixie in the Wishing Chair series Jigs as in the original book he is called Chinky haha
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I occasionally read my old Jacqueline Wilson books. They're bloody good stories!
  • purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christopher Pike - the last vampire books - awesome!

Also love the Beaver Towers books (posted on the first page), that witch still scares the life out of me!
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I re-read Saturday Night and Sunday Morning last year and it still stands up as good literature. Very evocative of post-war Northern Britain and how much better things were for the average working man than they had been for his pre-war equivalent.

Most definately not a childrens book.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, loads of them. Just read all of the so far published Percy Jackson novels and quite enjoyed them.
    Luner13 wrote: »
    Did he write Stardust?

Yes and one of my other favourite books, Neverwhere.
    pickwick wrote: »
    Yep. Children's books are great, you have to put actual stories in them. Diana Wynne Jones is probably my favourite author, and I read a lot of other YA stuff, especially in SF and fantasy.

Like you my young adult reading is mostly in the sci-fi and fantasy genre.
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    The three Hunger Games books were the best thing I read last year!

And yes, have always read them. There are some fantastic writers for kids _ David Almond, Alan Garner, William Nicholson, Phillip Pullman, Tolkien's 'The Hobbit', of course... I have never grown out of Richmal Crompton's 'William' books, either.

I've tried and better tried to read The Hunger Games trilogy, just can't get into them at all. Will keep persevering though as I have them on Kindle so it's easy to go back to.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do! Children's books often have hidden depths you miss as a child, or they are just great fuel for the imagination. I would collect children's books if I had the money/space. I think they're lovely, especially older ones when it comes to illustrations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So glad to see that I'm not the only one that still enjoys Enid Blyton books sometimes.
    I think I'm in the minority here though but I've always preferred The St. Clare's and The Secret Seven Series, instead of Malory Towers and The Famous Five.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    I felt sorry for Gwendoline :blush:

Re-reading as an adult so do I! :o

They were proper nasty to her weren't they :(
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Yes, loads of them. Just read all of the so far published Percy Jackson novels and quite enjoyed them.

Yes and one of my other favourite books, Neverwhere.

Like you my young adult reading is mostly in the sci-fi and fantasy genre.

I've tried and better tried to read The Hunger Games trilogy, just can't get into them at all. Will keep persevering though as I have them on Kindle so it's easy to go back to.

Have you tried the Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness?
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lexii-Mae wrote: »
    So glad to see that I'm not the only one that still enjoys Enid Blyton books sometimes.
    I think I'm in the minority here though but I've always preferred The St. Clare's and The Secret Seven Series, instead of Malory Towers and The Famous Five.

I didn't really like any of her books except for maybe the Malory Towers ones. They all seemed so silly and the some of the characters were treated really badly. You can see that Enid Blyton wasn't a very nice person herself, the way she gave some names like "Fathead" and "Fatty" and so on. The characters seem to have no depth to them and all have to have the same values as Enid Blyton herself and the things that they do are just so impossible, i.e The Famous Five and the Secret Seven.
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Yes,Dr Seuss's The Cat In The Hat and The Lorax, I was scared of The Once-ler as a child,:o the Lorax cartoon Once-ler was even more scary, he looked like a plant,:o:o however, The Once-ler in the recent Lorax film isn't scary at all, he's a little too easy on the eye for that!:D:):kitty:;):cool:
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Not long ago I tracked down some old Rupert Bear Annual pdfs and enjoyed re-reading them (the actual books I'd long since got rid of).
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Have you tried the Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness?

No, I hadn't heard of him or that series, have just had a quick squizz to see what they're about, not sure they're my kind of thing but will see if anyone I know has them that I can borrow.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member

I reread part of a Malory Towers book recently and was surprised at how nasty and bitchy Darrell was. I never noticed that as a child but I can't imagine a children's story being written nowadays with someone like that being presented as the heroine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another Enid Blyton fan here, of the originals though, not the newer PC ones. Particularly the Naughtiest Girl in the school series, the Secret Island, Mallory Towers, The Faraway Tree and the Wishing Chair. Love them all.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I didn't really like any of her books except for maybe the Malory Towers ones. They all seemed so silly and the some of the characters were treated really badly. You can see that Enid Blyton wasn't a very nice person herself, the way she gave some names like "Fathead" and "Fatty" and so on. The characters seem to have no depth to them and all have to have the same values as Enid Blyton herself and the things that they do are just so impossible, i.e The Famous Five and the Secret Seven.

"Melisande" was christened "Smellisande" by "Susan" which was a horrible name to call a poor girl who has had a house fire. This must have been disturbing to me when I was a child as I could remember the nastiness when I read the book "Six Cousins On Mistletoe Farm" again last year.
  • laineythenomadlaineythenomad Posts: 3,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reread part of a Malory Towers book recently and was surprised at how nasty and bitchy Darrell was. I never noticed that as a child but I can't imagine a children's story being written nowadays with someone like that being presented as the heroine.

I agree! Definitely a nasty piece of work with her uncontrollable temper, and so smug, looking down on the characters who weren't good at games and swimming. Yuk. As another poster mentioned, I did love the Adventure series by Enid Blyton (Island, Castle etc) - and original text preferred too! The last time I read "Castle", the character of Tassie the gypsy girl had been changed to "wild girl"!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    No, I hadn't heard of him or that series, have just had a quick squizz to see what they're about, not sure they're my kind of thing but will see if anyone I know has them that I can borrow.

fantastic books, not my usual thing either but read all three in about a week. Highly recommended!

I love YA fiction, and review it for my blog, I find Ya authors take themselves less seriously and can have more fun with a story than adult fiction writers.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I say, rather! They were absolutely beastly to her ;)

Nowadays it would be classed as bullying behaviour.

I reckon Gwendoline had underlying low self esteem issues :blush:
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree! Definitely a nasty piece of work with her uncontrollable temper, and so smug, looking down on the characters who weren't good at games and swimming. Yuk. As another poster mentioned, I did love the Adventure series by Enid Blyton (Island, Castle etc) - and original text preferred too! The last time I read "Castle", the character of Tassie the gypsy girl had been changed to "wild girl"!!

I love Kiki the cockatoo in the Adventure books :)

ps. Is there an Enid Blyton books discussion thread? :blush:
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    oooo i havn`t read him for ages.

i love book threads, bet it gets moved.[/QUOTE]

sigh.
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like pop-up books. They enthrall and scare me in equal amounts.
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    I used to read, as a child, my brother's books of 'Jennings and Darbyshire' by Antohny Buckeridge. They were really entertaining and I developed a crush on one of the school's teachers, Mr Carter who was the tolerant one of the mischevous boys. Great fun.
  • laineythenomadlaineythenomad Posts: 3,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reddybook wrote: »
    I used to read, as a child, my brother's books of 'Jennings and Darbyshire' by Antohny Buckeridge. They were really entertaining and I developed a crush on one of the school's teachers, Mr Carter who was the tolerant one of the mischevous boys. Great fun.

Oh yes, Jennings! Personally I loved Old Wilkie, a complete nutter. Wish I'd had him as a teacher, LOL. If the books were made into a film or TV series I could just imagine John Cleese in that role :D
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member

The greatest crime of political correctness was to get rid of one of the most distinct and memorable Enid Blyton villains, that of Jo-Jo, the black manservant in Island of Adventure. I think it is because of the pidgin English and eye-rolling idiocy that he displays which was perhaps considered controversial, but the conclusion reveals that this was an act, and that he was a devious and cunning antagonist. The bland "Joe", a white guy no less, that replaced him in later revisions has nowhere near the same impact. An utter shame.