The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 57)

Comments

• FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I'm not saying all the performances got deserved places, clearly some did better than others, but going on the night I think molly and her performance was about 17th best out of 26th. And personally I do fault her as she looked uncomfortable and stiff throughout. When she sang 'the doctor gave me now' and the 'before it gets too late' bits in each verse she sounded though she was really struggling. I don't believe in being a hypocrite and god knows I criticised kasey for Ireland for her below par performance so why shouldn't I do the same for the UK. At least I owe Eurostar that!!

Exactly the point I was making.

I respect how she took this on and the ambassador she's been for the contest in this country. I can't ask more of her than that anymore and maintain she tried her best at that moment and it didn't happen. I had issues with the execution more than anything, but again I look forward to the future for her, for the UK Eurovision, and for the contest in Austria now.

It's a bit like putting your two weeks notice in. Enjoying your time but knowing it's now only temporary as you move onto other things.
  • BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one has yet used the fanwank word - would appear that the UK was this years :(

#betterthanBonnie#
  • MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    BBAnne wrote: »
    No one has yet used the fanwank word - would appear that the UK was this years :(

#betterthanBonnie#

Hell, I'd take 'fanwank' over 'brushed over by everyone' any day. :D:D
  • kobiashimaruxkobiashimarux Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    QuartzMan wrote: »
    I went to Austria last summer and it really is an incredibly beautiful country. The people who will be traveling there next May will be extremely lucky!

Been to Austria a few times and love it. OMG the food!!! I may go next year. Congrats to Austria, long overdue win and done in style with a spectacular song IMHO and personal. Can't think of a contestant i have loved more than Conchita.

weiners/stadium for Austria 2015:D
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

#betterthanBonnie#

Fanwank is Sweden this year.
  • MikayMikay Posts: 10,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wading through Facebook and Twitter from last night it infuriates me so much when people are still saying "The UK are never going to win again..."

Were they even watching the show last night??! AUSTRIA WON!... Austria!!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hell, I'd take 'fanwank' over 'brushed over by everyone' any day. :D:D

Exactly MissM! I'm embracing the fanwank :)
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So here we are, the Boxing Day of Eurovsion. How is everybody feeling? :)

In case you need something to perk you up just remember that we scored higher than Azerbaijan which means we have now managed to get a higher score than every single country in the history of the contest at least once.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrono88 wrote: »
    Fanwank is Sweden this year.

I don't think a 3rd place really equates to a failure in scores that epitomises the word
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    My "post-Eurovision forum bingo card" is now full.

We've had accusations of miming, a plea to get Simon Cowell involved, someone with a straight face mentioning the Iraq war and the suggestion that "even Adele wouldn't win this". FULL HOUSE!

EDIT-

I don't care if it's over a year away- Saint Lu or Conchita for Austria 2015! They need to capitalise on their guaranteed place in the final (please God no more Du Bist!)
  • AxGAxG Posts: 25,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe Germany didn't give Austria 12 points!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So here we are, the Boxing Day of Eurovsion. How is everybody feeling? :)

In case you need something to perk you up just remember that we scored higher than Azerbaijan which means we have now managed to get a higher score than every single country in the history of the contest at least once.

And that's the fact of the day, right there :)
  • MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    Israel was quite fanwanky too. Sad for Mei, to be left behind in the semi finals. :(

What amuses me is that Conchita came second to Trackshittaz in 2012, who then completely bombed, finishing at the very bottom of the board in semi final 1. Having Conchita going on to win the whole thing by a convincing margin in 2014 is a sweet justice. :D
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still can't quite believe Austria of all countries won. I mean obviously Conchita, the song and performance was amazing of course but just think about it for a second: Austria, the actual nation of Austria won! The Portugal of the German-speaking world (well aside from that one time they won when it didn't really matter)! I honestly think they entered this year for the sake of entering: an internal selection that was dragged out over four months or something and I think released online without much fanfare early in the morning IIRC. And just think of all the times they pulled out moaning that they would never do well!

And bizarre to think of the Netherlands in second as well. A crazy year all in all.

Great comment on my Facebook: "granny's opinion on the bearded lady "he looks like our lord"" :D
  • Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm feeling so deflated. I already want to know where Austria will be hosting Eurovision, what their concept will be, which countries will be competing, how they'll choose their acts. Why is it so long until it starts again?
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    Israel was quite fanwanky too. Sad for Mei, to be left behind in the semi finals. :(

What amuses me is that Conchita came second to Trackshittaz in 2012, who then completely bombed, finishing at the very bottom of the board in semi final 1. Having Conchita going on to win the whole thing by a convincing margin in 2014 is a sweet justice. :D

As somebody said last night, Trackshittaz are now the only act in Eurovision history to triumph over Conchita.

So in a way, they are the best act of all time ;-)
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think a 3rd place really equates to a failure in scores that epitomises the word

Sorry my bad.
  • .:Tom:..:Tom:. Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    The trajectory of Sweden 2008, is IMO very similar to the UK's this year.

My firm favourite was The Netherlands but I can't begrudge Austria winning. I think, with the wide-appeal of the song, the strength of the vocal and the perfect staging, that was all that really mattered.

I held off from commenting last night because I was bitterly disappointed by the UK's result. However, I saw the writing on the wall. A few thoughts to add on things I think played a minor role (but still a role):
    - I do think lack of exposure prior to the final and a wave of hype driven by semi-final and resultant itunes success give a significant advantage. Its true Germany won without semi-final exposure in 2010 but the itunes/downloads era didn't really kick in until more recently. I could see how people were reacting and commented on it in here on Thursday. I think the Big 5 should be able to perform in the semi-finals to level this out.
    - Going on last may have played a part
    - Block voting DID NOT play a part and anyone who suggests that after Austria and The Netherlands did so well are blinkering themselves.

All this said, I knew we didn't stand a chance once Molly began to perform. The vocals were off, the performance didn't translate to the stage and on the whole it just felt disappointing. If people are feeling bewildered by our poor result, I'd suggest fans look no further than Sweden 2008 for some precedent of how/why this happened. That year Charlotte was a hot favourite, did well in polls and vocally/performance wise seemed to have it in the bag (The Melodifestivalen performance was strong). Then, on the night, I remember having the exact same sense of disappointment which in turn led Sweden to 18th place. That we came 17th, I can see how we followed a very similar trajectory.
  • Drew PeacockDrew Peacock Posts: 12,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

#betterthanBonnie#

I think the award must go to Israel. We even had it second in our poll yet it was only 10th in the UK televote and 14th overall and not within a sniff of qualifying.

Alexander Rybak has a different but still positive take on Conchita.
    Say what you want about CONCHITA WURST, but her voice is unique. Just like when Michael Jackson did his operations, and created this "no other white man can sing like this"-phenomenon. Now I see a lady (although with beard), but still her lovely grace has a genius mix with masculine power that only a person with male genetics can possess. I know it probably started as a statement, but now it has become something truly unique in the music business. I hope I'm not the only one in Europe who thinks like this tonight. But of courses, I'm mostly curious about who is YOUR favorite tonight? Mine is Netherland, by far!!! And I'm extra happy that the ESC audience seems to like it as well.
  • bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrono88 wrote: »
    Sorry my bad.

Undo my bad.
  • bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .:Tom:. wrote: »
    My firm favourite was The Netherlands but I can't begrudge Austria winning. I think, with the wide-appeal of the song, the strength of the vocal and the perfect staging, that was all that really mattered.

I held off from commenting last night because I was bitterly disappointed by the UK's result. However, I saw the writing on the wall. A few thoughts to add:
    Firstly, things I think played a minor role (but still a role):
    - I do think lack of exposure prior to the final and a wave of hype driven by semi-final and resultant itunes success give a significant advantage. Its true Germany won without semi-final exposure in 2010 but the itunes/downloads era didn't really kick in until more recently. I could see how people were reacting and commented on it in here on Thursday. I think the Big 5 should be able to perform in the semi-finals to level this out.
    - Going on last may have played a part

All this said, I knew we didn't stand a chance once Molly began to perform. The vocals were off, the performance didn't translate to the stage and on the whole it just felt disappointing. If people are feeling bewildered by our poor result, I'd suggest fans look no further than Sweden 2008 for some precedent of how/why this happened. That year Charlotte was a hot favourite, did well in polls and vocally/performance wise seemed to have it in the bag (The Melodifestivalen performance was strong). Then, on the night, I remember having the exact same sense of disappointment which in turn led Sweden to 18th place. That we came 17th, I can see how we followed a very similar trajectory.

Rightly or wrongly, Europe was too busy laughing at how catwoman looked to even notice the song. If she hadn't looked so bizarre, I firmly believe she would have done much better.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The anti-Conchita page that got nearly 40k likes (the one that is based in Austria) posted this this morning. Just the picture and nothing else: https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/10157380_876834742342110_1870274471550227862_n.jpg

Maybe they've changed their mind, now? :p
  • kobiashimaruxkobiashimarux Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    Can't help but agree with the bit in bold. I almost want him to change the mind about giving Eurovision up just to see the reception he gets in Austria next year. :D

Not familiar with Mills pillock, who is he?

I agree about the booing of those poor twins. Why ruin their experience of the event for something they are not responsible for or even understand. shameful. :o
  • Drew PeacockDrew Peacock Posts: 12,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AxG wrote: »
    Can't believe Germany didn't give Austria 12 points!!

First in the German televote but another case of being dragged down by the jury. Conchita and one of the jurors (Sido) had a history when he was a judge on the Austrian talent show she took part in and it was known he didn't like her. He even placed her last in the semi-final. Revenge is sweet.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know if anyone already worked this out

United Kingdom
    Avg jury: 13th
    Avg televote: 15th
    Avg combined: 14th

i.e. we did a little better on the full vote than the scoreboard result (17th). A crumb of comfort, but still very disappointing. Back to the drawing board! :)
This discussion has been closed.