Options

The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 57)

Comments

• Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope that Stella Jones gets a really good job for Austria 2015 :P Maybe host :D:D:D
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    I've got a cup of tea and a Borgen boxset raring to go. It might not be Eurovision but I get to see Pilou in his natural habitat.
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,277
    Forum Member
    CelticMyth wrote: »
    Stella Jones from Austria
    Laura van den Bruel from Belgium (aka Iris from 2012)
    Ivan Broggini from Switzerland

The 3 jurors who ranked UK first :D

They did their best, bless 'em! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.stellajones.info/stella_jones.html

She was born in Germany, but her parents have very English names also, so I imagine maybe they are English?
  • Options
    Andrea_ParmaAndrea_Parma Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Ivan Broggini is one of the Simplus (ESC 2012)
  • Options
    AliceyAlicey Posts: 5,294
    Forum Member
    Stella Jones for UK 2015! Work that diaspora vote!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, my step dad just posted on Facebook that people can't complain about political voting now, because Austria gave us Hitler and Fritzl and they won. He then said he voted for Conchita twice, but preferred Holland voted for them 5 times. Hmmmm....

Well, at least his opinion of the contest changed lol.
  • Options
    sbrum1984sbrum1984 Posts: 6,466
    Forum Member
    Stella Jones at Eurovision 1995:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOm5xy0Z3VM

I have that horrible post Eurovision feeling. Hate all the talk of withdrawals, makes me anxious!
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sbrum1984 wrote: »
    I have that horrible post Eurovision feeling. Hate all the talk of withdrawals, makes me anxious!

Be positive - only 366 days until the first semi final of Eurovision 2015. :D
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    http://www.stellajones.info/stella_jones.html

She was born in Germany, but her parents have very English names also, so I imagine maybe they are English?
    Could her parents be American perhaps. Or dad an American? Many American troops in Germany at the time.
  • Options
    gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before Conchita when was the last time an act won that was chosen entirely internally, ie the public had no say whatsoever? In Azerbaijan in 2011 they could vote in the preceding semis at least (I think). Was Sertab and the song chosen internally?
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mum has me looking up older Eurovision songs. This was one of her favourites, and I quote, "This is when Eurovision was good"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc5M1Ql6pEA
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    Mum has me looking up older Eurovision songs. This was one of her favourites, and I quote, "This is when Eurovision was good"

I uhm... like her costume.
  • Options
    QuartzManQuartzMan Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel this year can draw parallels to 2012 in that the first and second place acts had the ability to send the contest in different directions. Had the grannies won in Baku at the expense of Loreen, it would have been a travesty and the novelty element would have become much more pronounced. Similar to this year had the Netherlands won we would have seen a great increase in the quality of music next year, whereas Austria has shown that the performance (and performer) come before the song.

Obviously in 2012 Russia over Sweden would have set the contest back and I'm slightly concerned Austria winning may have let the contest lose some of the credibility it has produced in the past couple of years. Although Conchita's song itself wasn't that camp (had she won with her NF song it would have been totally different) so maybe I'm just getting a bit paranoid.

What i'm saying is we had Austria (a more performance-based act) and the Netherlands (a more song/staging-based act). I'm just unsure on what this effect might have on certain countries contributions next year.
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gottago wrote: »
    Before Conchita when was the last time an act won that was chosen entirely internally, ie the public had no say whatsoever? In Azerbaijan in 2011 they could vote in the preceding semis at least (I think). Was Sertab and the song chosen internally?

Ruslana was the last winner to be chosen internally, so 10 years. :)
    As a matter of fact, 3 of the top 4 were all internally selected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last male winner we've had was Rybak! (well, except Ell and Nikki, but they're a duo!). Maybe 2015 we'll have a really yummy man to look at for the nfs the following year :p
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deleted - already answered.
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I uhm... like her costume.

That's one more thing than I liked. Still, i'd prefer it to Satellite :p
  • Options
    sbrum1984sbrum1984 Posts: 6,466
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    Be positive - only 366 days until the first semi final of Eurovision 2015. :D

:cry:

Listening to Cher to ease myself back into other music.
    Toy_Hero wrote: »

My Dad's a massive fan of that one. Probably his favourite along with Vicky Leandros' 2nd go.
  • Options
    rorybbrorybb Posts: 3,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a thought - how important is it nowadays to have votes broken down by country? So many other Eurovision traditions have gone (orchestra, live instruments, juries voting blind to focus only on the song) it makes me wonder just what the point is of having voting by country especially when it is open to abuse. The technology is there now to have one single aggregated vote across Europe and to allocate a ranking based on a straight pan European vote, where one vote really would count equally to another. The top songs really would depend purely on how many people voted for them - true democracy and equality. You could also have 100% televoting as it wouldn't really matter if San Marino has a party line with Italy or if Crimea is in Russia, Ukraine or Outer Mongolia. By having a single pan Europe televote, you might even be able to squeeze in a few more songs. Plus it would cost Azerbaijan a lot more to try and skew the televote by giving away free simcards as they'd have to buy enough to guarantee several million voters.

Frankly I've had enough of watching past performers hamming it up to the camera to read the votes, stilted attempts at humour whilst some unfunny clown stands in front of the town fountain having his 90 seconds of fame, I'd happily give up national voting and juries if it finally led to a truly representative and transparent vote. You'd still have the tension whilst the votes were collated and checked but the process would be over that much quicker without buffoons playing to camera holding up proceedings as happened last night.

I think that would effectively nix the chances of pretty much any smaller country. Also the voting is one of the bets parts of Eurovision! I don't think many people would agree with it being taken away
  • Options
    posiepebblesposiepebbles Posts: 1,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gethsemane from Jesus Christ Superstar.

Thank you to my own brain for finally coming up with what I was reminded of when I heard Rise Like a Phoenix. Many apologies if this comparison has been made a thousand times but I can only read so many posts.

I'm not saying it's a rip-off, by the way, it just strikes similar chords and the tone chimes with me in a similar way. And, having tried to explain the fluidity of gender and sexuality elsewhere, it's a bit embarrassing to confess that maybe I'm drawing a comparison between two people just because they've both got long hair and a beard :blush::blush:
  • Options
    gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ruslana was the last winner to be chosen internally, so 10 years. :)
    As a matter of fact, 3 of the top 4 were all internally selected.

Oh really? That's surprising, I thought they'd always had NFs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone on YouTube: "Take away the hormones and surgery and what do you have?"

Little does he know, Conchita is 100% woman. No hormones or surgery :p
  • Options
    Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last male winner we've had was Rybak! (well, except Ell and Nikki, but they're a duo!). Maybe 2015 we'll have a really yummy man to look at for the nfs the following year :p

I've already come up with the theory that the Dutch spokesman will be next year's entrant for the Netherlands. There must be some reason they put a random singer there. But he's not exactly a big name.
  • Options
    Suzy07Suzy07 Posts: 2,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edwin Okli wrote: »
    I've already come up with the theory that the Dutch spokesman will be next year's entrant for the Netherlands. There must be some reason they put a random singer there. But he's not exactly a big name.

Oh he was cute :D
This discussion has been closed.