I'm really shy, and need advice!

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do it!

Do it now. Or whenever.

NEVER go 'Oh, I'll do it after so-and-so' it never works out like that.

Hit her with some gags (see my INSPIRATIONAL previous posts) and work from there. If you get on well and you're not going to see her for a bit just go 'Oh, I won't see you for a bit, maybe we could meet up some time'.

Go for it or you'll regret it.
  • laser558laser558 Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    What a lovely post. This is always difficult for anyone but especially someone of your age. I remember meeting my first serious girlfriend at school when I was 15. I think you'll find you won't have to say anything in particular because if there is that chemistry between you it will be obvious. You will simply sense it...both of you. I don't think I even asked this girl out, it was automatic as if it were bound to happen. We were together for 11 years and even bought an apartment together. She left me for her own reasons and despite now being 47 and married for the past 7 of them, I still think so fondly of her. First love is so wonderful, please don't reject it. I kind of believe you are having trouble eating and sleeping right now. This is normal and part of this wonderful process. I have to add, just be yourself and not someone you're not.
  • Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lakes wrote: »
    Wow I just lover this thread.
    Ok so I am a Life Coach and could tell you to go and get the book “Feel the Fear and do it anyway “ (or you can download the audio if you know where to look)

But instead I will tell you something that happened to me. When I was your age there was a girl that was in a few of my classes. She was so nice, not just to look at but also by the things she said.

Like you I was often put with her to do some study in class, as I was shy I did not speak to her much but in truth she was all I could think about.

At the end of the year we were all going our own was, some into work and some into more study, we thought it would be a good idea to have a party. At a mates house just before we left.

On the night of the party we were all having a good time but started to run out of drink. I said that I would go for a walk and get some, one of my mates and his girlfriend said they would also come, To my surprise the girl I had liked for such a long time said she would come aswel.

On the walk back from the shops my mate and his other half walked ahead .and what was about to happened taught me a lesson for the rest of my life.

The girl I had so long admired turned to me and said “ why have you never liked me?” I was shocked, she continued, “ you don’t seem to like talking to me” All I could say was she was wrong and that she was “ all right” all right, yep I should have been shot on the spot.
    As we neared the end of our walk she turn and said “ I have always liked you”
    Sad to say that within in an hour of getting back I was so gutted on what I had missed out of that I was very drunk.

Now we move on 2 years, by this time I had a long term girlfriend. But my 18th birthday was coming up.
    A friend was having a BBQ and me and my girlfriend turned up . It was not a BBQ and in fact it was a suspired 18 th birthday party for me, arranged by my family. To my surprise it was full of my old collage friends including the Girl I had liked, She come upto me and said “ I hope you have a good birthday, me and your sister worked hard on it”

As it turned out she had liked me a lot at collage but was sure I would have turned her down if she had asked me out..
    I don’t know what would have happened if I had ever asked her out at collage and sometimes that makes me happy, it one of those things you look back on in life and smile at now.

There is now 3 things you could do,.

Ask her out and live with what happens

Become a friend with her , sometimes it can be better than a boy friend / girlfriend relationship

Our just sit back and know that she is one thing that makes it worth going to collage for. In years to come you might meet her again

You're a life coach? :confused: :eek: :D
  • TPLTPL Posts: 2,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meh and if doesn't work out you'll soon forget about her after you don't see her for months on end. It may not seem like it now but you would eventually.
  • lakeslakes Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're a life coach? :confused: :eek: :D

lol yes.
  • Dancing QueenDancing Queen Posts: 9,917
    Forum Member
    laser558 wrote: »
    What a lovely post. This is always difficult for anyone but especially someone of your age. I remember meeting my first serious girlfriend at school when I was 15. I think you'll find you won't have to say anything in particular because if there is that chemistry between you it will be obvious. You will simply sense it...both of you. I don't think I even asked this girl out, it was automatic as if it were bound to happen. We were together for 11 years and even bought an apartment together. She left me for her own reasons and despite now being 47 and married for the past 7 of them, I still think so fondly of her. First love is so wonderful, please don't reject it. I kind of believe you are having trouble eating and sleeping right now. This is normal and part of this wonderful process. I have to add, just be yourself and not someone you're not.

that's a lovely story - I'll always remember my first ever love at 15 - I think he might have had an inkling but he then went on the get a girlfriend who was far less attractive than me:rolleyes: but not shy - obviously! I did alright in the end after trying out one or two ;):D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Moose what a lovely OP.

It reminded me of when I was 16 and went to college where I met a guy who was funny, sweet, kind I really liked him so much. But I was shy really shy. We went away on an outward bound course on Dartmoor with our college group and I fell for him big time. We had lots fun together and got on so well he even rescued me when I fell in the river. When he grasped my hand to pull me out it was like electric! But still I said nothing.

For some reason my friend told one of the other guys that i fancied him (i didnt i only had eyes for W) and I overheard a conversation one night. They were talking about W and how he really liked one of the girls on the course but she liked someone else. I wondered if they were talking about me, but thought of course their not.

I remember feeling hopeless as we traveled home on the coach our eyes met as we listened to the Police "every breath you take" I knew that college was coming to an end and I would never see him again. I still did nothing.

A couple of years later I spoke to a friend from college and she told me how W had been crazy about me all along but thought I was not interested. I was now with someone else and had missed my chance.

Still now 20 years later he pops into my mind from time to time and I wonder what happened to him. I wonder what might have been.

I'm happy and have a wonderful relationship with a man I love but you never forget your 1st love especially when they were the one that you let slip away.
  • lakeslakes Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redjay wrote: »

It reminded me of when I was 16 and went to college where I met a guy who was funny, sweet, kind I really liked him so much. But I was shy really shy. We went away on an outward bound course on Dartmoor with our college group and I fell for him big time. We had lots fun together and got on so well he even rescued me when I fell in the river. When he grasped my hand to pull me out it was like electric! But still I said nothing.

For some reason my friend told one of the other guys that i fancied him (i didnt i only had eyes for W) and I overheard a conversation one night. They were talking about W and how he really liked one of the girls on the course but she liked someone else. I wondered if they were talking about me, but thought of course their not.

I remember feeling hopeless as we traveled home on the coach our eyes met as we listened to the Police "every breath you take" I knew that college was coming to an end and I would never see him again. I still did nothing.

A couple of years later I spoke to a friend from college and she told me how W had been crazy about me all along but thought I was not interested. I was now with someone else and had missed my chance.

Still now 20 years later he pops into my mind from time to time and I wonder what happened to him. I wonder what might have been.

I'm happy and have a wonderful relationship with a man I love but you never forget your 1st love especially when they were the one that you let slip away.

Lol thats just what i was saying, but dont you think is sometime feels good to have had that feeling yet never acted on it ( like you it was almost 20 years ago).
    Somtimes i hear songs and it takes me right back to that time.
    I would not change it now, i am married and have a lovey daughter, its just good to lok back .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member

But I don't want her to slip away! :(

This is going to be the part where its like Ross going after Rachel in the last Friends episode! I have to do something.

I think I'll go from the email asking about the French, if that creeps her out then it was obviously never going to happen, if it doesn't then I'll see where it goes. :)

I'll try and throw a few off topic convo starters in too. :) Now I'm nervous and excited, and I'm not even speaking to her face-to-face! :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Courage, Mighty Moose, courage. I've been dipping in and out of this thread and I'm cheering for you.

You sound just like me "some" years ago: my dad used to say "if only I knew what I know now when I was your age" and I always though, "yeah, whatever" but now I'm in danger of saying the same thing to you. :)

It's funny, but I'm MUCH more comfortable with talking to women now than I ever was back then, and have got more and more comfortable and relaxed about it through long years of being with the lovely girl who was my girlfriend, then wife and is now kays_mum.

On our wedding day, her dad said that he always knew he'd be doing the father of the bride's speech for us 'cos of how she used to talk about me when she got home from school.

And I almost let her get away due to inactivity on my part: she was on the periphery of my crowd of mates and I'd fancied her for ages, but it took one of her mates to prompt me to ask her to dance at a party before things took off.:o

Edit: that's mine and kays_mum wedding .. I didn't marry her dad by mistake.:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically, I am 16 and in college at the moment. In one of my lessons which I have once a week, I sit next to the most beautiful person I have ever, ever met. Beautiful on the outside and truly beautiful on the inside. I really, really like her, like I have never like anyone before!!

But here starts the problem. I am really, really shy. :o I never talk to her unless she talks to me, which is usually a few times a lesson, but mostly to help her with the work as I'm quite bright. :) She does pinch my stationery quite a bit though. Therefore, I can't work out if she likes me or not, becuase we don't chat all that often. She used to sit a bit further away from me next to her friend, but then moved to sit next to me, and in the gap between me and this other kid, who she talks to quite a bit as they are in the same geography class. Now in a way this is good as she is closer to me, but could it be she moved because she likes him? (I didn't want to write that as I sound like a paranoid stalker!)

Whenever she does talk to me I go even more shy, because she always stares right into my eyes! I just don't know what to say to her to be honest! I know she does languages (French and Spanish) and Geography and History, so totally different to my courses. But next year I was thinking of taking French A level in one year so I could always ask her about that I suppose. I also have her email address which I got off the college 'Moodle' where all the students email addresses are, but it might be a bit weird if I do that.

I also get really nervous! :o I am nervous just writing this now because, well, I don't know really! :confused:

I have to apologise right now if it comes across as though I'm some weird psycho person! I am honestly perfectly normal, I have had a girlfriend before (who turned out to be a right b!tch) so I don't have a face like the elephant man. ;)

I just don't know what to do for the best. I think I've fallen in love with her and I don't want to screw this up!

Help if you can,

Mighty Moose

By any chance do you go to Cornwall College?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natalie* wrote: »
    By any chance do you go to Cornwall College?

Oh natalie please be the object of Mighty Mooses desire who has by chance stumbled upon this post and is now here to recipriocate the sentiment! :):o

I'm a romantic I can't help it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh natalie please be the object of Mighty Mooses desire who has by chance stumbled upon this post and is now here to recipriocate the sentiment! :):o

I'm a romantic I can't help it!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!! We're all on tenterhooks. :Excited:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kays_dad wrote: »
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!! We're all on tenterhooks. :Excited:

How wonderful would that be!:D :)
    Forum Member
    Oh no, I am going to disappoint you all. I don't go to Cornwall College! :(:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no, I am going to disappoint you all. I don't go to Cornwall College! :(:o

ha ha ha!!! no i can tell you that i dont go to college their i just know that Cornwall College has moodle system and i thought that it was just for that college!! :p;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    damn!!!!

Moose you know what you have to do! What are you waiting for?
    Forum Member
    damn!!!!

Moose you know what you have to do! What are you waiting for?

I've sent the email just now. :) I hope, hope, hope x 10000 I get some reply! Otherwise that will be it. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But I don't want her to slip away! :(

This is going to be the part where its like Ross going after Rachel in the last Friends episode! I have to do something.

I think I'll go from the email asking about the French, if that creeps her out then it was obviously never going to happen, if it doesn't then I'll see where it goes. :)

I'll try and throw a few off topic convo starters in too. :) Now I'm nervous and excited, and I'm not even speaking to her face-to-face! :o

Put jokes in. If there's a joke, there's a . . . way?

Something like: here's a test to see how if you can speak French.

Can you speak French?

A - Oui.
    B - No.

If A - Yes, well done, you can speak French.
    If B - No, sorry you can't speak French.

(copyright Trevor and Simon)

Or: 'I'm thinking of doing French, mainly because I like reading perfume bottles.'

Good luck.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've sent the email just now. :) I hope, hope, hope x 10000 I get some reply! Otherwise that will be it. :(

Oh, I was too late with my hilarious suggestions.

Always the way!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    Aww thanks! :) I like to be able to tell her how amazing she is, but I would end up bottling it! I actually have her email address, although I could pretend I don't! ;)

We don't often do pair work, the only time we did was when we were playing Mastermind and we were going to play together, but then the horrible sub teacher moved me off to play with someone who didn't understand the rules. To make matters worse, the kid I mentioned earlier got to play with her. :mad: :rolleyes:

The teacher is running some workshop things for this subject, so I could go to those and hope she turns up. She does seem the studious type, she asked for extra exam papers last week!

I know its better to do it and regret it etc, but if I do I will know there is never that chance, I guess thats why I haven't done it yet. Plus, I am busy with golf and cricket commitments, and she doesn't deserve to come second!!! Hell, I would give up golf for her, and that is saying a lot!!!

For god sake dont start by telling her how great you think she is and dont just email her out of the blue.both could come across as a little creepy.try and find out what shes in too,music films ect and use that to strike up a conversation.Dont ask her out as soon as you manage your first good chat.

also if you can when she talks to you,ask little things about her,(people love to talk about themselves)she cant get bored if shes talking,you will get good info on what shes in too and she will think you are a great listener.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whenever she does talk to me I go even more shy, because she always stares right into my eyes! I just don't know what to say to her to be honest!

You could think of some questions to ask her. If you are asking her questions, you don't have to think too hard about what to say. Or give her a compliment. Tell her you like the way she's done her hair or something.

Plus you can do a lot without even talking. A big smile. A funny doodle on the sheet of paper before she takes it. Do a funny drawing of the teacher and point to it for the girl to see. Start a game of noughts and crosses and let her see it to see if she will play. Slide a piece of paper over to her with a love heart drawn on it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could think of some questions to ask her. If you are asking her questions, you don't have to think too hard about what to say. Or give her a compliment. Tell her you like the way she's done her hair or something.

Plus you can do a lot without even talking. A big smile. A funny doodle on the sheet of paper before she takes it. Do a funny drawing of the teacher and point to it for the girl to see. Start a game of noughts and crosses and let her see it to see if she will play. Slide a piece of paper over to her with a love heart drawn on it!

I wouldn't compliment her, that's a bit cheesy.

To show you've noticed her say something like 'I see you've gone with the hair up today then. That's a monumental decision. I face a similar one - scruffy, or non scruffy'.

Funny doodles are a good idea, if she bites on that, you're onto a winner. (But don't do a swastika like Mark off of Peep Show :) )

Noughts and crosses - good idea. Mess about as you play it, if you lose give it the old 'Oh, I thought I was crosses' or extend the board and go 'What about this bit, you haven't won yet.'

The possibilities are ENDLESS. I've given you most of repertoire here, don't let us all down now!
  • Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lakes wrote: »
    lol yes.
    A life coach that uses "lol" Next the banks are gonna start selling newspapers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A life coach that uses "lol" Next the banks are gonna start selling newspapers.

To learn in life you just need to watch people around you.