Options

Me versus ALL TECHNOLOGY!! (it seems!) Please Help!!

Hi,

Can I just point out that all replies will need to be in langauge that can be understood by a uneducated muppet - which is what I am when it comes to technology. (Despite being fairly intelligent in all other aspects of life!)

Let me start at the beginning.

I purchased a Philips HD Ready 42" Plasma tv (42PF7520) 20 months ago and since then I've never been happy with it. The picture quality is very poor, the only way I describe it is that in the black/dark areas of the picture its as if you can see the gas flickering (told you I was a idiot when it comes to this stuff) and sometimes faces are greenish! (but only sometimes) oh and also Eastenders is very bad quality - very grainy - but only that programme is that bad. I had Currys out and they said there was nothing wrong with it so, on the advice of other people, I repositoned the furniture further away from the tv, I played around with the settings to try and sharpen it up, I bought a more expensive scart for the sky/tv connection and made sure it was in Ext 1. Now these things have helped marginally, although the picture is still laughable for a tv that cost £1299 and to be honest I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm just going to have to live it but I've just purchased a new dvd player with HDMI connection and a HDMI lead - I thought at east I can watch dvd's in good quality if nothing else - but I can't find the bloody HDMI port on the tv now!!!! I'm pretty sure there isn't one!!! Which why I'm even surprised with this tv I do not know.

So the upshot of this sad sorry tale is does anyone know if I can connect my HDMI lead to my tv or not??? And does anyone have any other tips on making the picture quality any better???

I would be eternally grateful for any help!! But remember - baby language please!

Thanks.x

Comments

• Options
    broadzbroadz Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't have HDMI input. It has DVI input (the other way to connect a HD source to a HD Ready TV). You need to buy a converter that converts HDMI to DVI.

(I'd send the telly back if I were you. It's a Philips!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 42PF7520 doesn't have HDMI but it does have a HDCP compatible DVI socket which if you buy a HDMI to DVI cable or HDMI to DVI adaptor you are in business for the DVD. The upscaling on the DVD via HDMI-DVI could very well provide a better picture than your current DVD via RGB Scart cable.

The AVF site has a dedicated Plasma section and you'll more specific info on your screen over there:)

Nothing much wrong with Philips, my older 9986 is an excellent performer albeit before the HD Ready spec was launched so only one DVI:)
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your TV does not have an HDMI port. However it does have a DVI port with HDCP which means that you can get a converter cable. http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=148_176

You will have to connect the sound separately as DVI doesn't carry sound.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all your replies! How do you know all this stuff! Thank god for the internet I say! So if I buy a HDMI to DVI adaptor can I use that with the HDMI cable I have just bought or is that another cable entirely?
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all your replies! How do you know all this stuff! Thank god for the internet I say! So if I buy a HDMI to DVI adaptor can I use that with the HDMI cable I have just bought or is that another cable entirely?

You can do either, Sky installers carry adaptors to use with the HDMI lead supplied with Sky HD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member

See how much you can find an adapter for, but I get the feeling you might be cheaper just buying a new cable.

One of these:

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=13609&category_id=182

... should do the trick. £4.41 delivered.

There is an adapter on the same site (and these guys are cheap) and it's twice the price of the cable:

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=15156&category_id=182
  • Options
    Pablo DiabloPablo Diablo Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Can I just point out that all replies will need to be in langauge that can be understood by a uneducated muppet - which is what I am when it comes to technology. (Despite being fairly intelligent in all other aspects of life!)

Let me start at the beginning.

I purchased a Philips HD Ready 42" Plasma tv (42PF7520) 20 months ago and since then I've never been happy with it. The picture quality is very poor, the only way I describe it is that in the black/dark areas of the picture its as if you can see the gas flickering (told you I was a idiot when it comes to this stuff) and sometimes faces are greenish! (but only sometimes) oh and also Eastenders is very bad quality - very grainy - but only that programme is that bad. I had Currys out and they said there was nothing wrong with it so, on the advice of other people, I repositoned the furniture further away from the tv, I played around with the settings to try and sharpen it up, I bought a more expensive scart for the sky/tv connection and made sure it was in Ext 1. Now these things have helped marginally, although the picture is still laughable for a tv that cost £1299 and to be honest I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm just going to have to live it but I've just purchased a new dvd player with HDMI connection and a HDMI lead - I thought at east I can watch dvd's in good quality if nothing else - but I can't find the bloody HDMI port on the tv now!!!! I'm pretty sure there isn't one!!! Which why I'm even surprised with this tv I do not know.

So the upshot of this sad sorry tale is does anyone know if I can connect my HDMI lead to my tv or not??? And does anyone have any other tips on making the picture quality any better???

I would be eternally grateful for any help!! But remember - baby language please!

Thanks.x

Make you've got the sky box set to 16:9 and RGB in the Picture Settings menu (Services > System Setup).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Make you've got the sky box set to 16:9 and RGB in the Picture Settings menu (Services > System Setup).

:confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    Pablo DiabloPablo Diablo Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    sancheeez wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:

I was referring to her poor TV picture.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah I've got the picture settings set up correct, I just checked. I also went out and purchased a DVI adaptor (before I read your replies about a new lead being cheaper) and that doesnt fit into my tv either!!! Although the port does say DVI on it! Oh I give up!

Thanks for all the help though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi sancheez,

I think I'll purchase the cable, rather than the adaptor, as you have kindly shown a link to. If your sure it'll work with my (joke of a tv) Philips 42PF7520?? (Becuase I don't have a clue!) I don't suppose I could be cheeky and ask you which cable for carrying the sound you would reccomend?? All the choices just baffle me! Thanks.x