What Would You Improve: Fifth Doctor Era

2»

Comments

• BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    A lot of it has been mentioned already (less harsh lighting, less hammy Master, no Twin Dilemma to round off the season...), but one thing I'd definitely change is the way the companions dressed.

I get that JNT did it to create a recognisable "brand" look, but god it was awful seeing them in such obvious colour-coded costumes every damn episode. Such a damn bad idea that makes them look like charicatures not people.

Plus, that TARDIS control room must have been getting really pongy by the midway point of Season 19.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of it has been mentioned already (less harsh lighting, less hammy Master, no Twin Dilemma to round off the season...), but one thing I'd definitely change is the way the companions dressed.

I get that JNT did it to create a recognisable "brand" look, but god it was awful seeing them in such obvious colour-coded costumes every damn episode. Such a damn bad idea that makes them look like charicatures not people.

Plus, that TARDIS control room must have been getting really pongy by the midway point of Season 19.

I agree with this. The worst one I thought was Tegan.

I know you have to suspend disbelief when watching Doctor Who but I find it very difficult to accept anyone would want to stay in their work costume any longer than necessary.

I don't know about anyone else on here but after a day's work, the first thing I wanna do is shower and change and get into my own clothes asap. If I accidentally wandered into the TARDIS in my work clothes and realised I was unlikely to get home in a hurry I'd want to get changed asap here as well and it's not as if the Mysteriously full TARDIS Wardrobe doesn't cater for everyone!

Tegan could easily have changed into more proper everyday casual clothing which I think would make more sense, even if she wore the same costume for a couple of stories at a time as she did in Season 21. Why would she want to keep wearing her work outfit the whole time? She knew could change back into it at anytime?!!!!

I agree Adric and Nyssa should have had more changes of costume too. :)
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Hah! That lack of costume-changes used to niggle me too! Previously, companions had ALWAYS had a new outfit for every story - particularly the girls/women. At least it was rectified by Davison's final season. Even Turlough donned his shorts!
    Tegan's uniform would have stood up by itself!!
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with this. The worst one I thought was Tegan.

I know you have to suspend disbelief when watching Doctor Who but I find it very difficult to accept anyone would want to stay in their work costume any longer than necessary.

I don't know about anyone else on here but after a day's work, the first thing I wanna do is shower and change and get into my own clothes asap. If I accidentally wandered into the TARDIS in my work clothes and realised I was unlikely to get home in a hurry I'd want to get changed asap here as well and it's not as if the Mysteriously full TARDIS Wardrobe doesn't cater for everyone!

Tegan could easily have changed into more proper everyday casual clothing which I think would make more sense, even if she wore the same costume for a couple of stories at a time as she did in Season 21. Why would she want to keep wearing her work outfit the whole time? She knew could change back into it at anytime?!!!!

I agree Adric and Nyssa should have had more changes of costume too. :)
    Maybe the TARDIS has special cleaning powers on clothes.....
  • ewarwoowooewarwoowoo Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    This is the era where I got into Dr Who.

Changes I would have made:

Tegan would have left at the end of Time Flight and wouldn't have returned, this would have allowed more development of Nyssa's Character.

The Master would have been far less camp pantomime and more evil like Roger Delgado's version. I believe JNT wanted the pantomime performance.

Peri would have been introduced earlier, I would have liked to have seen more stories before the regeneration featuring Peri and the Doctor.

Never warmed to Turlough and don't think he brought much to the series to be honest. Interesting contrast having a companion with an evil side but I don't think he should have been a long-term companion and should have gone after the Black Guardian stories finished.

Warriors of the Deep would have been darker.

No Twin Dilemma - Caves of Androzani was the perfect ending, Twin Dilemma was such a weak effort by comparison.

Costumes - should have been changed more regularly as mentioned.

The scene where the cyberman shoots the freighter's console while Adric is desperately trying to solve the logic codes would have been re-shot as it's clear that Matthew Waterhouse knows the console is going to explode, it's the only real cringeworthy bit of Earthshock.
  • doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,022
    Forum Member
    A lot of good suggestions. Which I can only repeat. However, in the main, Kamelion should have been more thoroughly tested and evaluated as a creditable character, before getting an appearance on screen, and I would rather Kamelion was never used actually.
    Peri introduced a lot earlier, easily the Fifth Doctor was most suited to Peri and a promising start was made between them. With the bits of humour we see at the start of The Caves of Androzani a prime example of how I would have liked to see them develop together.
    Adric's acting is a concern at times, just seen some of his scenes in Kinda and it's a bit painful, someone tell him to take his hands out of his pockets please. Maybe an earlier exit would have to be written in. Or just move Earthshock in the running order to earlier in Season 19, as his exit is excellent in an all round excellent story.
    Some of the stories that need attending to are Four to Doomsday and Terminus. These could be so much more but are flat.