The Tenth Doctor and Rose Tyler

13»

Comments

• DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one thing that bothered me most about the ending Rose/TenToo got in Journey's End was the fact that I never quite believed that TenToo was 100% exactly the same man as Ten himself. Through Donna's involvement in his creation he was not only part human (which enabled him to be more open with his feelings for Rose), but he IMO also partly had Donna's personality and it seemed to me that it was unfair to both Rose and to him that Ten just expected them to get a happy ending without ever giving this a thought and even more so I was annoyed that we were expected to accept that this never bothered either of them.

I think the whole way they used Rose in The Stolen Earth/Journey's End was just wrong. It made a nonsense of that wonderful ending in Doomsday. I found it impossible to believe that the Doctor would pack Rose back off to the other universe; there seemed no reason for him to do this. And like you I thought it was absurd that Rose was meant to accept some second-rate substitute, and apparently we were meant to see this as her getting a happy ending.

As someone said, it would probably have been best to have her only appear in Turn Left: helping Donna out but unable to stay any length in this universe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the whole way they used Rose in The Stolen Earth/Journey's End was just wrong. It made a nonsense of that wonderful ending in Doomsday. I found it impossible to believe that the Doctor would pack Rose back off to the other universe; there seemed no reason for him to do this. And like you I thought it was absurd that Rose was meant to accept some second-rate substitute, and apparently we were meant to see this as her getting a happy ending.

As someone said, it would probably have been best to have her only appear in Turn Left: helping Donna out but unable to stay any length in this universe.

Actually Rose getting a second-rate subtitute wasn't the main problem for me as I'm hardly a fan of Rose (though it wasn't fair to her either) and I definitely don't consider TenToo to be 2nd rate, in a way I actually personally prefer him over Ten. I was more disturbed by what ten did to TenToo and his self-righteousness in the way he behaved to him. TenToo had all the memories of the Doctor, so I thought it was quite cruel from Ten to kick him off from the TARDIS and take the possibility of traveling the stars from him under the notion that getting Rose is an adequate compensation of losing all of that. Sure, there's the deleted scene where Ten gives him a piece of the TARDIS to grow, but it wasn't shown in the episode and RTD himself has claimed that the scene isn't canon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually Rose getting a second-rate subtitute wasn't the main problem for me as I'm hardly a fan of Rose (though it wasn't fair to her either) and I definitely don't consider TenToo to be 2nd rate, in a way I actually personally prefer him over Ten. I was more disturbed by what ten did to TenToo and his self-righteousness in the way he behaved to him. TenToo had all the memories of the Doctor, so I thought it was quite cruel from Ten to kick him off from the TARDIS and take the possibility of traveling the stars from him under the notion that getting Rose is an adequate compensation of losing all of that. Sure, there's the deleted scene where Ten gives him a piece of the TARDIS to grow, but it wasn't shown in the episode and RTD himself has claimed that the scene isn't canon.

That always depressed me to no end. He no longer has the TARDIS, the only constant in who knows how many centuries, the very last reminder of his home planet, gone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    The really sad part is that he knows how he felt when he had to be exiled to Earth, and that only lasted a few years at most. Now he's sentencing himself to a human lifespan on Earth!
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jellyfish7 wrote: »
    Now then - in comparison - clara and 11?? Step back Rose/River et al - cos clara and 11 could have been dynamite... :eek:

I really liked the scene in TNOTD, where the 11th Doctor put his arms out and said 'come to me Clara." And they hugged before he said "My Clara!" and kissed her on her forehead. :)

It was quite a sweet moment, and has become one of my all-time favourite 11th Doctor moments. :D:D :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1lAHEaOg6w&feature=player_detailpage#t=101s
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Khof wrote: »
    The really sad part is that he knows how he felt when he had to be exiled to Earth, and that only lasted a few years at most. Now he's sentencing himself to a human lifespan on Earth!

Hmmm. And if Donna's half-Time Lord mind would have burned up unless the Doctor hid his history from her - what's going to happen to the half-human Doctor's?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm. And if Donna's half-Time Lord mind would have burned up unless the Doctor hid his history from her - what's going to happen to the half-human Doctor's?

I think the difference is that Donna was born as human and her brain developed as a human brain for a very long time and suddenly the Time Lord conciousness was thrust into it while the 10.5 Doctor was "born" with the Time Lord consiousness and therefore would be much better equipped than Donna to deal with it.

But mentioning Donna makes me feel even more sorry for 10.5, he probably had an even stronger bond to her than the Doctor and he's not only never going to see her again, he also had to know what would happen to her and that the Doctor would have to take her memories away and that indirectly it was acually kinda his fault, because Donna only got the Time Lord conciousness due to him being "born".
  • Davetherave70Davetherave70 Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will never be equaled.