Steven Moffat on Time Lords and Echo Clara

Slayer2012Slayer2012 Posts: 109
Forum Member
In the new issue of DWM, SM answered a question many have asked since Time of the Doctor - in Day of the Doctor, Gallifrey was hidden away, frozen in time. But in TOTD, the Time Lords on Gallifrey were trying to make their way back and gave the Doctor a new set of regenerations, so how did they become active?

SM: "In case you hadn't noticed, the Doctor is regularly wrong. We only have his word that they're frozen in that other dimension - clearly it's not so simple! Oh, those slippery Time Lords. I wonder where they'll pop up next?"

Is this a hint?

And on the echo Clara that encountered the First Doctor, SM confirmed that she was Gallifreyan, not a Time Lord. Which would seem to confirm the long-held suspicion by many fans that all Time Lords are Gallifreyan, but not all Gallifreyans are Time Lords.

Slayer2012

Comments

• Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slayer2012 wrote: »

And on the echo Clara that encountered the First Doctor, SM confirmed that she was Gallifreyan, not a Time Lord. Which would seem to confirm the long-held suspicion by many fans that all Time Lords are Gallifreyan, but not all Gallifreyans are Time Lords.

Interesting to hear him put that distinction out there. I wonder if he'll go as far as to put it into the actual lore by addressing it in the show itself.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,474
    Forum Member
    Though never explicitly stated, it's fairly obvious to me (from the 50th special, at least) that there are non-Time Lord Gallifreyans - what with all the foot soldiers, guards and ordinary looking civilians running and being slaughtered. In fact guards and other lower status minions have been shown on Gallifrey before.

What's the point of being a lord if everyone else is a lord too (at least everyone who is anybody :)).
  • Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hasn't it been known for ages that not all Gallifreyans were Time Lords. Lord is a rank, and the Doctor had to enrol in an academy to become one.

Gallifreyans do live for a long time, like Susan, and I think they are born with the potential to regenerate, but they have to be taught how to do it.

But then there's other evidence that suggests Time Lords are given their set of regenerations. Its all kind of vague I guess.