The Originals (Vampire Diaries Spinoff) Discussion Thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTKj52BUEeU

New series preview video is up.

I'm excited for this, it will air every Tuesday starting in October on the CW. :)

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the pilot was really weak, but i have hopes for it.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    I'll be watching it, though would hope TVD doesn't suffer as a result. That being said, TVD is on to it's 5th season next, and it's a possibility that'll be the last. Should that be the case, the Originals show would fill that void (guest appearances welcome). If TVD goes on and on, I've a feeling the Originals may fall short.

How long can you really expect two shows, in the same universe to run side by side? There's only so much you can really do with vampires, werewolves and witches.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I'll be watching it, though would hope TVD doesn't suffer as a result. That being said, TVD is on to it's 5th season next, and it's a possibility that'll be the last. Should that be the case, the Originals show would fill that void (guest appearances welcome). If TVD goes on and on, I've a feeling the Originals may fall short.

How long can you really expect two shows, in the same universe to run side by side? There's only so much you can really do with vampires, werewolves and witches.

not if your creative. angel had 4 seasons alongside buffy
  • LMLM Posts: 63,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It all depends how they develop the mythology
    Angel and Buffy's mythology and main stories were very different. Angel was more based on his past and how his actions have now affected today, while Buffy was very much about having the weight of the world on your shoulders
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Interesting to see they've included a scene that we've yet to see in that video. Davina, apparently she plays a significant role in the whole 'controlling of the witches' situation.
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems the Syfy channel in the UK will be showing this.

They keep showing a quick photo of Klaus in ad breaks.
  • JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    donna255 wrote: »

Yes, it's been confirmed that they will, although I'm not sure when.

It's a shame Daniel Gillies was still tied/is still tied into Saving Hope, as I've a feeling it will cut down on his appearances as Elijah in the Originals, just as it impacted on the amount he could film for TVD. I know they juggled his schedule around to try and fit in with his Saving Hope commitments, so hopefully they found a way round it.
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was hoping Saving Hope(:D) would be cancelled pretty quickly. Gave it up after a few episodes as it was just going now where.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do wonder how much damage this show will do to TVD. apparently ratings weren`t great to start with and with a lot of viewers only watching TVD because of the originals. once they go then them fans will leave since there is nothing left for them to keep watching. I also don`t understand this its more adult than TVD. isn`t the originals on at 8 in the us so how much more adult can it be?
    Forum Member
    I was hoping Saving Hope(:D) would be cancelled pretty quickly. Gave it up after a few episodes as it was just going now where.

Same here :). I just can't bear his character in Saving Hope - so bland and one-dimensional - the polar opposite of Elijah. Although Season 2 is an improvement on Season 1, I've got to about episode 7 and not bothered catching up yet.

Daniel Gillies belongs in TVD world! I think he would have snapped up The Originals like a shot had it been available when he was taken on aboard Saving Hope. He has a strange sense of humour, but I remember reading in one interview that he signed on for Saving Hope because he needed the money!
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the vd ep set In new orleans so looking forward to it but cannot believe klaus and Caroline aren't going to get together
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

It's disappointing that it's on Syfy, not ITV2. Surely it should be on the same channel as TVD? I will have to wait until it is released on dvd, and then either get it from Lovefilm, or if it's not on there, buy it!
    Forum Member
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s229/the-originals/news/a518215/vampire-diaries-spinoff-the-originals-gets-uk-air-date.html

The Originals will air on 22 October on Syfy, so not long to wait for it in the UK! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Yes! Thanks for confirming the date. A shame it's on SyFy for those who wanted to watch it on Freeview though.
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very excited for this. The VD episode setting up the show was very intriguing, and both Klaus and Joseph Morgan more than deserve their own TV show.

I do agree though that, without the Originals, VD will suffer. I don't think the exec producers expected Klaus and the Originals to be as massively popular as they are, despite season 3's main story being about them. Klaus was supposed to die at the end of season 3, after all. It's to their credit they managed to keep them in season 4.
    Forum Member
    Am I right in thinking that today (in our time tomorrow)'s pilot is basically a repeat of TVD Episode 4x20 when they went to New Orleans, with some extra scenes, and 'told from Elijah's perspective'?

I'm wondering if it's already been leaked online since July, as I came across some YouTube clips of Elijah, Sophie and Hayley, which weren't in the TVD 4x20 episode. They were described as a directors's cut. Further digging online revealed an entire episode (a repeat of 4x20) with extra dialogue and a final scene introducing a new character.

Again, this seems to have been around for a few months. Has the entire first episode actually been leaked online?

I suppose I'll have the answer to that tomorrow.
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am one of those who will stop watching TVD because they can't keep the basic love triangle going round in circles without it getting boreing. I really hope that Marcel's witch will bring back Kol. Hopefully he will appear in flashbacks. He grew on me as a character and Klaus etc need a more equal opponent.
  • nats18nats18 Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    Jayma wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that today (in our time tomorrow)'s pilot is basically a repeat of TVD Episode 4x20 when they went to New Orleans, with some extra scenes, and 'told from Elijah's perspective'?

I'm wondering if it's already been leaked online since July, as I came across some YouTube clips of Elijah, Sophie and Hayley, which weren't in the TVD 4x20 episode. They were described as a directors's cut. Further digging online revealed an entire episode (a repeat of 4x20) with extra dialogue and a final scene introducing a new character.

Again, this seems to have been around for a few months. Has the entire first episode actually been leaked online?

I suppose I'll have the answer to that tomorrow.

According to what I've read there's 3 different versions of 4x20/pilot. The original one/the one with the new character/elijahs pov.
    All a bit overkill but whatever. I'm quite interested in this show as the originals are the best characters though I reckon they work so well because you look forward to them as apart from Klaus they weren't main characters so it might suck but I'm going to give it a few weeks before I decide
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    It was a great episode. I think I preferred it slightly to TVD but that's just me of course :)
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JustArun wrote: »
    It was a great episode. I think I preferred it slightly to TVD but that's just me of course :)

I liked it too, though I didn't really believe in the cliffhanger much, as I suspect it'll be undone immediately. Apart from that it was grand.
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this and TVD and preferred this. The bits that were cut out before were very good. I liked Elijah protecting Hailey and telling Sophie to beware. They may have a partnership but there will be tension. I do wish they had cast another actress for Hailey as she doesn't express any fear on her predicament.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jayma wrote: »
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s229/the-originals/news/a518215/vampire-diaries-spinoff-the-originals-gets-uk-air-date.html

The Originals will air on 22 October on Syfy, so not long to wait for it in the UK! :D

thanks, will remember to series link :)

was the ep shown last night the same as April or new?
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Bex. wrote: »
    was the ep shown last night the same as April or new?
    Half an Half? Elements of it were the same, some scenes seemed to be extended, and there were other segments of the episode nobody had seen before.

I quite liked it, save for the ending. They're bound to turn that around sooner rather than later, especially as Rebecka is suppose to be back too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Half an Half? Elements of it were the same, some scenes seemed to be extended, and there were other segments of the episode nobody had seen before.

I quite liked it, save for the ending. They're bound to turn that around sooner rather than later, especially as Rebecka is suppose to be back too.

• SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex. wrote: »

Yeah, it was essentially covering the events of the episode from TVD Season 4 again, but from Elijah's perspective instead of Klaus', with some scenes we'd already seen where Elijah and Klaus cross paths. :)