Constantine

Comments

• varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    It wasn't the mid-season finale, it was the final episode of season 1 making it the season finale.

Sorry you're right; the original order was slightly more than a half season
  • MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    So the divine plan involves an Angel, who's out to do good, and who needs John to vanquish evil, though said Angel has evil working for him?
    YES! The Divine Plan involved the Agents of Light needing the Agents of Dark to highlight one against the other. In swamp Thing, the two hans (of god?) come together resulting in the sharpened distinction between the light and dark. And, this leads to the first issues of Hellblazer but the angel there is Gabriel ("the Snob", as Constantine calls him.)
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The trouble is that supernatural shows like this need a good budget and without a major network the funding will fall: I dont think you could do this on a small budget. Plus that will mean keeping to 13 episodes which means a major rethink. Apparently Warners own DC and want the film sndctv world kept separate: that also limits what the can do.

It seems that the network has said the fate of the show will be announced in May. Meanwhile I assume the actors and staff will be open to other jobs because it might be months after that before production begins.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of NBC's new shows are flopping or have flopped

A-Z and Bad Judge flopped
    The Mysteries of laura, Marry Me, Alegiance, The Slap and State of Affairs are all flopping

I think NBC will have to bite the bullet and renew a few of their lowest rated shows. Constantine may be one, purely for it's fan campaign and major social networking buzz
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of NBC's new shows are flopping or have flopped

A-Z and Bad Judge flopped
    The Mysteries of laura, Marry Me, Alegiance, The Slap and State of Affairs are all flopping

I think NBC will have to bite the bullet and renew a few of their lowest rated shows. Constantine may be one, purely for it's fan campaign and major social networking buzz

I still think it all comes down to profits. The CW has renewed BATB apparently because it is big abroad. As long as there is a way to make money a network will renew. As people have different viewing habits networks have to be inventive. I read Hannibal was renewed despite low ratings partly because the critics like it but also it is cheap because it is only partly funded by NBC.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BleedingCool - Daniel Cerone Tweets The Status Of Constantine
    Daniel Cerone, the executive producer of Constantine took to his twitter account to make some things about the show very clear starting with the show has not been cancelled. NBC won’t decide upon the fate of the show until May, after it gets a look at their new pilots as well as a second season pitch from the show’s writers. In the mean time, the network is watching how the show continues to do through other mediums like NBC.com, hulu, iTunes, Amazon Prime as well as foreign markets. According to the writer foreign popularity can make a huge difference like it has on the series Hannibal.

The studio holds options on the cast and writers until mid-June, so that won’t be an issue and Cerone is certain they will have a decision by the up fronts (3rd week of May). He says it’s not time for a letter writing campaign yet, but re-watching the episodes through some of the above mentioned outlets would definitely help

(snip)
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    really hope this get's renewed, since this is one of the better ones out there
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cancelled by NBC. Another one bites the dust.
  • varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Yeah that's just the same rumour that has been going around since the first season finished.As has been confirmed by the producers that nothing official has been announced yet!
  • MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Cancelled by NBC. Another one bites the dust.

The writer that reported it retracted her report:

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Constantine-Almost-Certainly-Cancelled-71317.html
    Forum Member
    Well Constantine has now been officially cancelled by NBC

However executive producer Daniel Cerone has said on Twitter that they are trying to find a new home for Constantine elsewhere!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stephen Amell tweeted out that he'll guest star on the show if another network picks it up :D
    Forum Member
    I really hope someone picks it up now just to see if he will go through with his promise!
  • F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awwhh
    Couldn't Netflix pick it up? Seems like the kind of thing that they might go for and I'm sure they could use anything possible to get people to subscribe so if it already has a cult following, it would be well suited for them to tap into that audience.
    The only issue might be it conflicting with Marvel and their agreement on programming.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a shame, was quite enjoying it towards the end.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They will have until end of july to find a home. That's when the contracts run out and the cast are free to look for other work.
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will hold my anger in.

I'm extremely annoyed it got cancelled. Easily my favourite show that's been aired in the last year. Really disappointed in NBC. Though, I'm not surprised they did it. NBC seem to like cancelling great shows.

I'm glad to see a lot of actors supporting Constantine on Twitter. Here's hoping another channel will see the potential it has. :cry:
  • Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    They chose the wrong actor, should have chosen someone who can actually do British regional accent properly.

In any case, Supernatural does such theme better.
    Forum Member
    But Matt Ryan is British though?

Wasn't Constantine shown on Amazon Prime so maybe that will stop it ending up on Netflix.Despite me thinking that Constantine is a perfect show for Netflix!
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    But Matt Ryan is British though?
    Yes, but listen to his accent on the show and tell me which accent you think he is trying to do.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alex_B1 wrote: »
    Yes, but listen to his accent on the show and tell me which accent you think he is trying to do.

Hardly the reason the show was cancelled though was it?

He could have done his natural accent and still said he was from Liverpool and most viewers in the US wouldn't know the difference.
  • BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    I didn't have a problem with his accent, I thought Matt Ryan did a ok job considering the dreadful writing of the show. I said it before in my last post in this thread but they really need to make the show a lot more adult & a lot darker than it was if it ever does get picked up by another network.

They have decades of great storylines from the comics they can use, Constantine is a b*st*rd so they should portray him that way & make it a lot less scooby gang than it was in season 1.
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    Hardly the reason the show was cancelled though was it?
    I didn't say it was. However, I do think his inability to do an accent properly reflects poorly on his acting skill. I wondered what his accent is supposed to be when I first watched it until it was revealed he is Liverpudlian (which never crossed my mind, I can actually do a better Scouse accent than he did). They should have just made him American and used an American actor.

Anyway, the whole show came across as a bad imitation of Supernatural even if in actual fact Supernatural took some its ideas from Constantine.