Options

Marvel's Daredevil

Comments

• Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to Charlie Cox that fight scene is one take. There were 3 takes where they made it all the way through to the end. They picked the best one out of the 3.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    According to Charlie Cox that fight scene is one take. There were 3 takes where they made it all the way through to the end. They picked the best one out of the 3.

I read the same in an interview with Steven DeKnight.

Brilliant scene.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished the series and I was very surprised at the gritty realism of it all. It was a welcome change and thoroughly enjoyable viewing.

I thought Charlie Cox (as expected) was utterly flawless as the lead. Exceptional at portraying Matt as a desperate man who oozed sympathy for his cause.

Fisk on the other hand was a a story of two sides. I couldn't stand the mushy love struck nervous teenager stuff but the sheer brutality of him was just enough to compensate it.

And just another note - the red suit was awesome.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Quite tempted by this. How does it compare to Arrow ?

It makes Arrow look like the neutered cartoon it became, after GA stopped killing off bad guys. Daredevil is gritty, well realized, and not too much of stretch. Bags of quality characterization, too.
  • Options
    margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just finished. It is so great watching in one go. I am sure this is the way forward. Network TV has too many hiatuses and the shows are too long with fillers. Not surprising that ratings fall. The fight scenes on this were amazing. I especially liked the one with the Ninja and the way they split it from the beginning of the show to the end. He looked done for and throughout the episode you wondered how he got out of that situation.

I also liked the conversation with the priest and Foggy. Superheroes are vigilantes which is outside of the law. I liked the battle with morality in his head. I was so waiting for the moment when he put on the suit. I never understood before where daredevil the name came from: I never appreciated the horns. Not sure if the film version had the horns.

I was sorry to see Wesley go as I grew to like him. Not sure about the way he exited. Did he just make a huge mistake?
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched the first 3 episodes, enjoying it so far, and the way that guy offed himself in the 3rd was pretty grimm :0
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »

cheers for that
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    kendoguk wrote: »
    Watched the first 3 episodes, enjoying it so far, and the way that guy offed himself in the 3rd was pretty grimm :0

That was pretty awesome. Very unexpected even tho the spike was shown well in advance.

I had got to episode 3 two days ago but then the missus decided she wanted to watch so I had to restart. We got up to no 4 last night.
    You could see it coming that Fisk was going to go apeshit on the Russain for ruining his date. That was pretty awesome too.

As a matter on interest are there any rules regarding spoilers for shows like this given that everyone is watching at a different pace ?
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not going to mention details for people at different episodes, but it was brilliant, the sort of show that has me shouting at the screen one minute, recoiling in shock the next and then grinning and cheering.
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a quick question, is this show set in the same universe as AOS and the movies etc, I presume it is with New York being rebuilt, just wanting to clarify. Hope I'm not being stupid lol.

Edit, just had a look on wiki and it says yes it is. Sorry for the silly q lol
  • Options
    caz06caz06 Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 5 episodes in and have to say I'm enjoying this in a very different way to Aos, agent carter and avengers ect, the fact it's set in the same
    Universe but yet very dark, violent and brutal is a welcomed but strange change , I mean I couldn't imagine someone getting their face smashed in with a bowling ball on agents of shield haha. However I do believe that in order to cut piracy down and spoilers and leaks this is the way forward, using a subscription based service that gives you a full series their and then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^^ it's also set after the events of Age of Ultron.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I echo what others have said about Vincent D'Onofrio, he's a perfect Kingpin.

Previously, I'd never really been interested in Daredevil as a character so I have been pleasantly surprised by how much I've enjoyed the show. This is my first delve into a comic book TV show as I don't have Sky but I've always enjoyed the films and am looking forward to the rest of the Defenders series now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    caz06 wrote: »
    I'm 5 episodes in and have to say I'm enjoying this in a very different way to Aos, agent carter and avengers ect, the fact it's set in the same
    Universe but yet very dark, violent and brutal is a welcomed but strange change , I mean I couldn't imagine someone getting their face smashed in with a bowling ball on agents of shield haha. However I do believe that in order to cut piracy down and spoilers and leaks this is the way forward, using a subscription based service that gives you a full series their and then.

I wonder if it actually does cut down on piracy. It is available to be watched on sites that aren't Netflix for those that don't fancy taking out a sub.
  • Options
    caz06caz06 Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you have a widely popular and successful service like netflix that you can use on phones, tablets , smart TV's and even Virgin media then I think it does, it would be a huge download compared to just streaming a new show when and where you want and especially when netflix offer first month free , I'm not saying it would stop it completely but it would fall dramatically I think, the recent leak of
    Game of thrones is a good example , people download them before aired on tv, less viewers, less revenue
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    ^^ it's also set after the events of Age of Ultron.

No its not. Its set after the Avengers.
  • Options
    BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    Finally finished watching the show last night & I have to say I loved it, they could have flung in a lot of villains from the comics but they kept it mostly down to the Kingpin. I also loved the fact it wasn't campy in any way like some comic stuff can be. The tone & dark violent grittiness really suited the show & the pacing was flawless.

Charlie Cox was great as both Matt Murdock & as Daredevil & played the conflicted nature really well.

Vincent D'Onofrio was excellent as Wilson Fisk, I thought the way he played the awkwardness of the character who was prone to violent rages was really well done.

Deborah Ann Woll who was the best thing about True Blood after it went downhill quality wise also deserves praise for her performance as well, if the show does get more season I look forward to seeing her play the emotionally scarred character as more of her past comes out.

Elden Henson played Foggy Nelson much better than the character was portrayed in the movie, in the show he while still being funny & light hearted also showed him to care about what was happening & I liked the slowed down pace of the episode where he is talking to Matt after finding out his secret & the flashbacks to their college years.

Vondie Curtis Hall was a great choice as Ben Urich as well, the guy has such a striking facial look that really helped make the character down to earth & every bit the downtrodden reporter, I do think he was killed off a bit too soon though even though you could see it coming.

Toby Leonard Moore was also great as Wesley & his closeness to the Kingpin really made the scenes where Wilson found out what happened to him all the more emotional.

All of the other characters were really well done as well but I have to say I love Madame Gao, I think the actress really nailed the character & I also think that her home is the mystical K'un-L'un that will feature in the Iron Fist TV show.

All in all I would give it 10 out of 10, I didn't think it would work but after watching it they really nailed it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Binge watched this in two days.I haven't done that to any show in ages. Absolutely brilliant...so much so that I think this show has ruined Flash, Arrow and AoS for me. So dark and gritty and the casting was fantastic especially the guy who plays Fisk. His performance alone is worth watching this show. Loved the fight choreography and the realism in what happens in a city run by evil people. This show deserves more seasons and I will definitely be watching this again.
  • Options
    Artie FischalArtie Fischal Posts: 1,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »

I just watched that episode. The scene nearly put me off me cornflakes!
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WOW EPISODE 3 IS BRUTAL

was like something out of the sopranos or even worse.

i know its in MCU but i really couldnt imagine daredevil in avengers 3 or a crossover with AoS!

i imagine jessica jones,iron fist and the other 1 they are makinf must be gritty too? as the defenders team up wont make sense otherwise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No its not. Its set after the Avengers.

Hmmm I know I read somewhere that it was set after Age of Ultron but I can't remember where. So I went to IMDB trivia and it says there that it's set after Avengers (2012). Hmmm, I stand corrected.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished watching season 1 so can read this thread now. With the quality in standards with recent superheros (The Flash and Arrow) I was expecting something with similar standards and I wasn't disappointed. I love how Daredevil is more darker and grittier, the fighting and violence is more brutal, it's all well done, very impressive.

I love the villain too. I like how they show 2 sides to him and he's not the typical bad guy with no feelings, he plays the sensitive guy and the brutality guy so well. A really intriguing character.
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndreaJx wrote: »
    Binge watched this in two days.I haven't done that to any show in ages. Absolutely brilliant...so much so that I think this show has ruined Flash, Arrow and AoS for me. So dark and gritty and the casting was fantastic especially the guy who plays Fisk. His performance alone is worth watching this show. Loved the fight choreography and the realism in what happens in a city run by evil people. This show deserves more seasons and I will definitely be watching this again.

Yep, I've spent the last few days unable to get Daredevil out of my head and wading into the others now feels a bit cheesy and very tame by comparison.

Oh well.:(
  • Options
    JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    I am now on episode 5, and so far am really enjoying it.

I tried Arrow, Flash and AoS but found them all a bit boring especially AoS but this is just great all round.

And dark, very dark, and all the better for it.
  • Options
    hurrikane313hurrikane313 Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished the final episode after watching the entire season over the last few days, I have to say its bloody brilliant in every single way. This is how you do a comic book show, casting, writing, acting, direction, every single thing was perfect.