Options

A bit Scared

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
Forum Member
Hello :)

About 3 weeks ago my laptop was stolen from my home while I was out. Anyway just now I noticed a man staring at me through the living room window (he was right against the glass) and I started panicking and probably screamed and he wouldn't go away and I woke my mum up and she shouted a bit and he went away. Now I just feel really vulnerable and I can't help thinking it may have been the person who who stole my laptop. I have already reported my laptop being stolen to the police, do you think maybe I should tell them this too?

I'm not quite sure what I am asking for I feel very silly but quite shaken up. :(

Comments

• Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    So what has your mum said or done about this man?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO you should at least tell someone. Even if it is just to signal the police that a stranger was staring in your window. There isn't a lot they can do, but they'll probably do some drive-by's over the next couple of evenings which should deter the weirdo.
  • Options
    oldtimer55oldtimer55 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Close the curtains,imho.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My mum just shouted at him to go away nothing more.
    It was a crack in the blinds (curtain pole fell down).
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    If you received a crime number from the police over the laptop being stolen, report to the assigned officer about this man, giving as many details as possible - hair, colour, age, time, date etc.

Keep your curtains/blinds closed tight and make sure doors and windows are locked when you are up alone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you received a crime number from the police over the laptop being stolen, report to the assigned officer about this man, giving as many details as possible - hair, colour, age, time, date etc.

Keep your curtains/blinds closed tight and make sure doors and windows are locked when you are up alone.

I will speak to my assigned officer :) I am also currently under a vulnerable adults list due to my illness.thank you for the advice. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You didn't ring 999? Sorry, but you should have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And say a man was looking at me through the window? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simi89 wrote: »

Absolutely, yes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes. If nothing else they'll respond and YOU feel safer. That's what the police are there for!
  • Options
    Andy CarltonAndy Carlton Posts: 4,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stickler wrote: »
    Absolutely, yes.

And by the time they dialed 999...off he was into the night... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stickler wrote: »
    Absolutely, yes.
    Yes. If nothing else they'll respond and YOU feel safer. That's what the police are there for!

Ok thank you :) sorry for being so silly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Very disturbing. If this happened to me, I'd be going everywhere with a knife in my pocket including around the house! Definitely note down anything you can remember about this freak so you don't forget it later on and report it - preferably to the same officer investigating the theft. It's not guaranteed that this man is the same one who committed the theft, but you can only assume.

But obviously, phone the police. If he is confident enough to come up to your window and look at you and refuse to move away, even after you've spotted him and raised the alarm, then lord knows what he will do next. Certainly make sure you're on high alert when you're out and about and lock all windows and doors when you're alone in the house or at night.

Sounds like a frightening situation - make sure you do all that's necessary to protect yourself and your mother.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I will speak to my assigned officer :) I am also currently under a vulnerable adults list due to my illness.thank you for the advice. :)

Please don't be too scared to move or do anything that you normally do - this may have just been a random nosey parker who fancied a sneak in any window he could find! But as you also had the theft, it's better to get anything a bit odd, on record. Just be aware and keep yourself safe.

Your assigned officer will welcome any information you can provide, don't ever be worried that you are worrying them, they won't think that at all.

Wishing you and your Mum well. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    iHelix wrote: »
    Very disturbing. If this happened to me, I'd be going everywhere with a knife in my pocket including around the house! Definitely note down anything you can remember about this freak so you don't forget it later on and report it - preferably to the same officer investigating the theft. It's not guaranteed that this man is the same one who committed the theft, but you can only assume.

But obviously, phone the police. If he is confident enough to come up to your window and look at you and refuse to move away, even after you've spotted him and raised the alarm, then lord knows what he will do next. Certainly make sure you're on high alert when you're out and about and lock all windows and doors when you're alone in the house or at night.

Sounds like a frightening situation - make sure you do all that's necessary to protect yourself and your mother.

He was bald, wearing a leather jacket, olive skin. I'm just writing this to remind myself. Didnt get a proper look at him was kind of panicking a bit. My mum due to her psychiatric state has a habit of leaving windows and doors unlocked so I will be checking all of these now. I feel that if he hadn't realised I wasn't alone then I wouldn't have moved :( I may speak to mum's crisis team as well. thank you for being so kind. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And by the time they dialed 999...off he was into the night... :rolleyes:

Ah, but by dialing 999 an incident report is filed and a process has been set in motion. As I said before they can't do much (unless he was standing in your front garden in which case it is trespassing on private property) but you should feel safer and if it ever happens again they should respond even more quickly because of it happening before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Please don't be too scared to move or do anything that you normally do - this may have just been a random nosey parker who fancied a sneak in any window he could find! But as you also had the theft, it's better to get anything a bit odd, on record. Just be aware and keep yourself safe.

Your assigned officer will welcome any information you can provide, don't ever be worried that you are worrying them, they won't think that at all.

Wishing you well. :)

thank you :) My friend is trying to convince me that it may just be some drunk person as there is a pub down the road. But we have a garden area infront the window so he took the effort to come into I think that is what making me feel worse. Sorry for keep going on about this.

Thanks for the supportive replies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You're not going on - this is 'Advice' and is your thread after all, and we all chose to be here. Say whatever you feel like. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    He was bald, wearing a leather jacket, olive skin. I'm just writing this to remind myself. Didnt get a proper look at him was kind of panicking a bit. My mum due to her psychiatric state has a habit of leaving windows and doors unlocked so I will be checking all of these now. I feel that if he hadn't realised I wasn't alone then I wouldn't have moved :( I may speak to mum's crisis team as well. thank you for being so kind. :)

It's no problem. I can't even begin to understand how awful it must be to have this happen - very creepy. You definitely need to make sure your entrances/exits are secured. This man may not have been a weirdo - he could have been a thief eying up the property he was planning to rob. But now that you've seen him, and providing he is a thief, he may not bother.

But it's best to keep everything locked, secure and tight to deter anyone who may be plotting to break in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You're not going on - this is 'Advice' and is your thread after all, and we all chose to be here. Say whatever you feel like. :)

aw thank you :)
    iHelix wrote: »
    It's no problem. I can't even begin to understand how awful it must be to have this happen - very creepy. You definitely need to make sure your entrances/exits are secured. This man may not have been a weirdo - he could have been a thief eying up the property he was planning to rob. But now that you've seen him, and providing he is a thief, he may not bother.

But it's best to keep everything locked, secure and tight to deter anyone who may be plotting to break in.

I will make sure everything is locked up and secured now. :)

thanks again everyone. I really appreciate it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting things like this off your chest and discussing it, even if it is "just on a forum" always helps. It feels good to know there are people "out there" who know what's going on. And as Radiomaniac said, this is your thread so keep going ;)
  • Options
    FrameBreakerFrameBreaker Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could be a crackhead. No point calling the police though, they take ages to show up.

Maybe tell your neighbours and ask them if they've had anything similar. That way if something was to happen and they hear anything out of the ordinary they can aid you in beating up said crackhead.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simi89, sorry to hear about your frightening snooper. As others have said, do report it to the police.

Make extra efforts to keep all windows covered with net curtains if you don't have them, and all curtains/blinds drawn when house lights are on.
    Of course also make sure you have window locks and use them, along with door locks of course.

The main thing is don't allow this person to dominate your mind; regardless of whether he was the returning burglar or just a nosy parker with mental issues.
    Just keep safe and go about your business and I'm sure you'll be fine.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have a camera or mobile phone camera, keep it handy. If the guy tries it again - take his photo. He'll either run off scared, or totally freeze. Either way, you have evidence for the police that they can progress.

If he does it more than twice, and you have his photo, the police should be able to guide you in how to take out an injunction against the guy - then, if he tries it again, the police can immediately arrest him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Hello dear,
    Sorry to hear about your crazy man troubles. I am currently living in a student house in a rather dodgy area of a dodgy city - i know aaaall about random crazies!
    As well as ringing 999 next time you feel that scared, i would also suggest getting in touch with your local Police Beat Team/Safer Neighbourhoods Team depending on where you live.
    To find them, go to the website of your local Police Force, find the link which reads something like 'local police' and normally there is an area or postcode type search to help you find your local officers.
    Sorry if the explanation is a bit confusing but thats how it works on my local Force's website.

Anyhoo, under your local team's page there should be e-mail and/or telephone numbers for your local Police officers. By the nature of their role they should be more than happy to drop by and have a chat to you about this incident and also give you information on how to keep the house more secure etc.
    It is also good as once they know who you are, tehy tend to keep a closer and more protective eye on you - certainly works where i am.

Hope that helps

xx