Options

Why do we buy DVD/Blu-ray's?

2»

Comments

• Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    In my opinion if physical media is wiped out I would very sad. I enjoy building up collection, also It feels more like you own something if you can hold it in your hand. So ownership is one reason, I mean if your streaming company went bust then you've lost all paid media. Second is quality I spend a lot on getting good quality sound and picture, I'm not going move over to lower quality service that won't take full use my equipment.

Thank god this country alone could not support such move for a very very long time. We have average of 6.2 Megabits connections across the UK according to of com. America has average 5.5. So I think we are going to have physical media around for long while still.
  • Options
    Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People want to physically own their own items. I would rather pay £10 for a physical DVD than download it for free.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can loan discs to your friends.

They also have a resale value when you upgrade.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    I often look at my ever expanding DVD collection and think "Why do I have SO many!?" the truth is I only buy films I truly enjoy, and it's nice to own the odd cinematic gem and various cult classic. I like owning the film/TV series in it's tangible, art form. I also enjoy the extras, which as others have pointed out, you don't get with the cold act of streaming.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With Blu-rays the image quality will be what appeals.

Personally I wouldn't buy a DVD that I could watch on TV.

I have started buying 3D Blu-rays. But only of films that I really want.
    At the moment I don't think that there are enough available out there at the moment that are good enough to convince me to buy them.
    I won't fritter all my money away on them but I will pay for quality.

I also appreciate the value of having a physical tangible product to hold in your hand as opposed to a download where it doesn't feel like you actually have anything.