Have you ever done a random act of kindness?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RuinedGirl wrote: »

A smile, a cheery good morning, or a good night to a neighbour can literally make someones day. The other evening I had just dropped a couple of friends off outsid their flat when about 11 or 12 lads came along the pavement. I signalled to my friends to step asside so they could pass. as they drew level to us I said "evening lads" you know every one of these lads said something as they passed. One or two said hello others said goodevening and such as they passed the last lad said good night." my friends looked at me and said "that's not the usual response we get if we speek to people like them in the street." "They're just a few lads out having a good time" I said all you need to do is be nice.
    It made me feel quite proud actually that I didn't feel frightened of them.:)
  • Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    I could not perform a random act of kindness, as it would require some decision making and therefore could not possibly be random.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could not perform a random act of kindness, as it would require some decision making and therefore could not possibly be random.

'Random' perhaps means more 'ad hoc' without 'return' etc..

We have to weigh these acts up in a small way at least, even it it only takes a moment.

That small decision doesn't make it not 'random' in the sense we are discussing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I live in a small village where you tend to know most people so I'm used to just saying hello to folk. Work and spend a lot of time in Sheffield. Now it's far from perfect, but not that different from my village really. Only a small thing, but it stuck in my mind. A work mate came up from Surrey and commented on the fact that so many people said thank you to the bus drivers when getting off.She thought it was great. I genuinely didn't realise it wasn't (maybe) the norm. Hardly an act of kindness, but it made me think about how small things do make a difference
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    All the time. I'm a Christian;)
  • juspenjuspen Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Its either kind or isn't, in which case don't do it, but if it makes me feel a bit better in a world of hurt then I'll do it
  • Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    'Random' perhaps means more 'ad hoc' without 'return' etc..

We have to weigh these acts up in a small way at least, even it it only takes a moment.

That small decision doesn't make it not 'random' in the sense we are discussing.

"Having no definite aim or purpose; not sent or guided in a particular direction; made, done, occurring, etc., without method or conscious choice; haphazard."

Sorry, but the modern misuse of the word bothers me.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Having no definite aim or purpose; not sent or guided in a particular direction; made, done, occurring, etc., without method or conscious choice; haphazard."

I can understand that. However, understanding of what is meant by it, has led to some interesting thoughts, and that's worth something.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    I paid for a very distressed lady's clothes in a charity shop when she didn't have any money. Bought a homeless guy a drink because he was hot and thirsty (I didn't have any cash so I added it to my card payment in the shop). I comforted a stranger who was crying in the street after a fight with his girlfriend.

Nothing special, but I know from experience that the little things can be the difference between the worst day of your life and one that you feel like you can survive.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really troubled at seeing an old woman begging in North London this week: it was a bitterly cold day, and she was curled up rocking and really sobbing under the bridges near the tube station. I walked past, then stopped, returned and gave her some money. She looked about 70, all curled up in a ball, rocking on the pavement. I mentioned her to my OH that evening, and he recognised the description, but reckoned she was a 40 year old crack addict. Either way, it was a bloody tragedy to see. What do I do if I see her again?
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loads of random things, yes. Even something as simple recently as seeing a girl waiting at a bus stop for a bus that I knew wasn't coming (the route had just been changed) and I crossed the road to tell her not to wait for it.
  • RuinedGirlRuinedGirl Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't really think this discussion is about the correct usage of the word 'random.' Words meanings change over time, and to me a random act of kindness is either an act which one didn't anticipate doing when they woke up in the morning, or an act which someone does towards a ''random'' member of the public who could have been anyone.

For example, seeing a homeless person and making a spontaneous decision to give them food/some form of help. To me, that's random.

Or, certain people who do a ''random act of kindness'' day on their birthday. Yes, they set out that day to be kind to people, but they walk up to random people on the street and do good deeds for them. Those people walking past could have been anyone, thus making it rather random.

Again, I think the intention of this thread was for people to talk about acts of kindness, not to display their superiority over other posters by being pedantic and arrogant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

I give up my seat for anyone more needy of it (in my eyes) on the bus. Or sometimes ask people if they need help and if they do then I will.

Not a random act of kindness, just courteous and human in my eyes.

I'm not a kind person, I'm not horrible, but I'll never be kind.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do my little bit but have learnt actions speak louder than words.:D
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »

Really? Why haven't you mentioned this before?
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll help anyone that asks, if I can
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

That doesn't make you a good person...I know PLENTY of people that go out of their way to help others when they need it who are Atheists...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    No I haven't because I am an evil bastard.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll help anyone that asks, if I can
    Cop out!!! We all know that in Southampton nobody talks to each other :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    Cop out!!! We all know that in Southampton nobody talks to each other :p

You must have just smelt that day! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You must have just smelt that day! :D
    I lived there for seven years :o
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once shouted after a guy when his baby's shoe has fallen off. (He was carrying her in his arms) He said thank you and said he liked the Cider I was drinking, went in the pub and I didn't see him again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    I lived there for seven years :o

Must have been using a bad shower gel. :)
  • amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,848
    Forum Member
    Randomness just means not planned, i.e. SPONTANEOUS. Have you never made a spur of the moment decision or are you just looking for a cop out excuse? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must have been using a bad shower gel. :)
    It was named Eau de Solent. Made from Matt Le Tissier's tears and the congealed sweat of Fred Dineage :D