White Britons a minority by 2066

Comments

• riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Given that Farage has lied in the past about immigration levels (Romanians and Bulgarians), I wouldn't be in a hurry to believe him.
    And the sweet irony of Farage being descended from Hugenot asylum seekers (sorry, REFUGEES) is not lost on many people either...I wonder if his ancestors ate swans or 'refused to integrate', 'only shopped in Hugenot shops' and 'arrogantly spoke French on the street'
  • trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a debate, you have to agree terms. In the real world we have this wonderful thing called the Dictionary, which standardises the language that we use. When you use a different meaning other than what is intended, you are being misleading.

So don't try and spin your way out of this by implying that a fixation with rigour and truth is somehow an inferior debating style. You have been cornered and shown to be someone who relies on soundbites and phrases that you do not understand. You cannot be taken seriously and, in any reasonable arena of debate, you would not be.

You're funny:D It's like debating with a fog
  • helioslumoshelioslumos Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trunkster wrote: »
    You're funny:D It's like debating with a fog

No argument, not even an attempt at an argument. Educate yourself, you will appreciate the benefits
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I get time I will check it. I read once that if the Huguenots emigrated to Britain today, it would take them 27 days instead of several centuries.

I can find nothing to support it - it sounds like another lie from Farage. What I do know is how notoriously incomplete (in many cases non-existant) records are from the early modern period (to say nothing of mediaeval times). To make such a bold statement with no details as to the comings and goings of people (as well as accurate records of those killed in wars, those considered migrants to England from Scotland and Ireland when the countries were independent, mercenaries from abroad and those who fled (and returned or were replaced) due to the Reformation and the tumultuous religious climate which existed for hundreds of years, strikes me as patently ludicrous. Farage (and his party) have a track record of lying on the issue - why should we imagine he suddenly has access to such staggering information (yet provides no proof) when he can't even correctly google the populations of Bulgaria and Romania?

My suspicion is that he is basing his outrageous claim on population levels alone - without in any way taking historical relativity into account, nor the fact that rising population levels are the norm nearly all over the world, and not due to immigration.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    riceuten wrote: »
    And the sweet irony of Farage being descended from Hugenot asylum seekers (sorry, REFUGEES) is not lost on many people either...I wonder if his ancestors ate swans or 'refused to integrate', 'only shopped in Hugenot shops' and 'arrogantly spoke French on the street'

And since when has Farage said he's against all immigration?
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course not. An immigrant is someone who chooses to live permanently in a difference place to which they were born. There is no other implication of analogy, so don't try to pretend that there is

I'm sorry but if we lost WWII and the Nazis goose stepped up Whitehall, are you seriously trying to say they are merely immigrants who have chosen to live permanently in a difference place to which they were born?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm sure that he has not. But his language is incredibly anti-immigrant, while ignoring all of the potential benefits that immigrant can bring
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry but if we lost WWII and the Nazis goose stepped up Whitehall, are you seriously trying to say they are merely immigrants who have chosen to live permanently in a difference place to which they were born?

It doesn't matter how they entered but the fact they were from somewhere else and then chose to stay.

Nice job trying to appeal to emotional / incredulous with a reference to the Nazis, though
  • rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    So White British may be a minority by then. Whoopie doo, I really could not give a monkeys. In fifty years time many of those who have grown up in this country will consider themselves British and that is what counts, not their origin prior to that.
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    Like the millennium disaster where technology was doomed to fail
    Like the end of the world in other predictions
    Just more nonsense and that it comes from that scummy rag is no surprise
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure that he has not. But his language is incredibly anti-immigrant, while ignoring all of the potential benefits that immigrant can bring

Is he not against all immigration for five years? Ie. he's against it for the length of a parliament? That's the last I heard, although when I looked up their policy on the issue, it was 'under review'...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No argument, not even an attempt at an argument. Educate yourself, you will appreciate the benefits

Oooo the old I'm educated and you're not line. It's understanable when you've been bested.
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    In a debate, you have to agree terms. In the real world we have this wonderful thing called the Dictionary, which standardises the language that we use. When you use a different meaning other than what is intended, you are being misleading.

So don't try and spin your way out of this by implying that a fixation with rigour and truth is somehow an inferior debating style. You have been cornered and shown to be someone who relies on soundbites and phrases that you do not understand. You cannot be taken seriously and, in any reasonable arena of debate, you would not be.

Excellent points
    It's a shame that so many don't let facts and dictionaries get in their way
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He said the other day that it was the right thing to do to rescue the Ugandan Asians as they were only 27,000. Compare that to say NET migration of nearly a quarter of a million in 2010 and about 230,000 settlements or ILR and its plainly about numbers and the pace of change. Why does it always have to be all or nothing. What's wrong with low level, slow, sensible, managed immigration that actually benefits individuals in this country?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooo the old I'm educated and you're not line. It's understanable when you've been bested.

HAH! First time that I have laughed all day
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, I've been to the website you've mentioned and searched in vain for anything on there that says White Britons a minority by 2066.

So much ad hominem.

http://www.migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/briefings/immigration-population-and-ethnicity-uk-international-perspective

And while you might not have said the British are mongrels it's usually how this sort of topic ends up, it already has if you haven't noticed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

..like cheap labour that undercuts others wages
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HAH! First time that I have laughed all day

I can believe that
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter how they entered but the fact they were from somewhere else and then chose to stay.

Nice job trying to appeal to emotional / incredulous with a reference to the Nazis, though

Well the previous invaders had already been used, it could have been the Soviet union as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ..like cheap labour that undercuts others wages

No, this is a legitimate drawback which must be countered by policy. I said that the benefits were being ignored. A balanced list be can found here
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the previous invaders had already been used, it could have been the Soviet union as well.

I have no idea what you mean by that
  • OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone is seems to be missing the point. Many people like myself do not have a problem with immigrants or immigration however do have an issue with a lack of integration.

By failing to learn to the language and not mixing with other sections of society, immigrants are often marginalised. This not helped a lack of basic religious tolerance i.e hate preaching.

Immigration is in my opinion is not the problem here but integration..
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    As an Anglo-Saxon I may not be native to Britain, but I am native to England - a country dying on it's arse for so many reasons, multiculturalism being one of them.

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Immigrants are not all the same, some are beneficial many are not. Immigration is like a medicinal drug, a small dose now and again makes you better, taking too much all at once makes you ill. The immigration proponents don't want to accept that numbers are way too high, so instead they lump all migrants together and claim we have been enriched by their diversity and they are essential to boost our economy etc.

We could be just as economically well off with selective immigration, with much lower numbers and the predictions of 2066 would never happen.
  • Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow. this thread took off.
    You think the conquering peoples/tribes that have come here over the millennia is a myth then?

ahhh, yes, but who did they conquer?
    As an Anglo-Saxon I may not be native to Britain, but I am native to England - a country dying on it's arse for so many reasons, multiculturalism being one of them.
    spubbbba wrote: »
    The Anglo-Saxons were immigrants too you know.

If you hate multiculturalism so much maybe you should go back to where you came from. ;)

i think you need to re-read Liams post. it's quoted above for you.

what's his ancestry got to do with anything? he isn't racist nor is he claiming he is pure 'english blood'. if you think he is racist, post a link to back up your claim.

he doesn't want to stop all immigration.still that doesn't stop the smear campaign being ramped up by the toreis and labour.

such as? (and try to ensure your reply doesn't mention food).