Match of the Day No Mark Lawrenson

Comments

• Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,590
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    I know he isn't popular but is the guy any worse than the bland Shearer.

Key is to have pundits who want to be there and talk about all the clubs - not just the ones they know.

IMO, both are as bad as each other but for different reasons, Lawrenson is just awful no insight into the game & tries to come the comedian, Shearer is just dull as ditchwater, although Garth Crooks is worst of the lot. MOTD needs a big revamp & need someone like Gary Neville in as pundit.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    < Basically, if MOTD cut out all the punditry - maybe discussed just one important theme (reffing error, great move etc), how many viewers would switch off because they weren't getting Hansen and Shearers input? >

Well, I give you that, but what the heck would they do with the three million quid a year they would save?
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's on Football Focus.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    He's on Football Focus.

The article said he would have a reduced role so its hardly surprising that he is still here.

Lawro though is an appalling pundit, very biased towards Liverpool and adds little insight.
  • onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    Was there ever a time when people watched football programmes for the football and not the pundits ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Lawro and Hansen together on MOTD, for me they are knowledgeable but balance this with debate and humour. Now I cannot stand Alan Shearer he is droll to listen to and struggles if someone has a different opinion to him.

I did think Danny Murphy did well last night.

It is good to have a range of pundits keeps it fresh however I feel the likes of Lawro could have been included in this for MOTD as well as the other BBC football programmes.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a very well-known former manager living in the Manchester area and with time on his hands now, maybe they should give him a ring.
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    There's a very well-known former manager living in the Manchester area and with time on his hands now, maybe they should give him a ring.

He retired to spend time with his wife, i know MOTD is once per week but would he really want that ? imo, no.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,713
    Forum Member
    Johnbee wrote: »
    < Basically, if MOTD cut out all the punditry - maybe discussed just one important theme (reffing error, great move etc), how many viewers would switch off because they weren't getting Hansen and Shearers input? >

Well, I give you that, but what the heck would they do with the three million quid a year they would save?

Well, because of a shorter show they'd need to spend that - and more - on extra programming.
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's good to see a rotation of faces but most of the ones suggested seem somewhat uninspiring (Robbie Fowler for instance.) The only decent additions for me are Vialli, Schmeichel and Murphy. If they could manage to use them a few times (I know Vialli has TV commitments in Italy) and were maybe able to use some of their promising past World Cup pundits every so often (Klinsmann, Seedorf & Martin O'Neill), plus some of their decent pundits they've used previously still involved in the game (e.g. Laudrup, Phil Neville, Mick McCarthy), plus some guys who've impressed on punditry elsewhere (Clarke Carlisle, Roberto Martinez), plus some of their more underrated pundits (e.g. Pat Nevin and maybe even the likes of Graham Taylor/Jimmy Armfield, etc.) then I think they'd have a very good show! I know that not all of these would be available every week or whatever but it does suggest to me they could do a lot better job than they do.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last season, "Twitter" comments, now weve got "Did you think its a penalty" vote now............WTF.
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    blitzben85 wrote: »
    He retired to spend time with his wife, i know MOTD is once per week but would he really want that ? imo, no.

Doesn't have to do it every week though, does he?
  • hotguy25hotguy25 Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Readingfan wrote: »
    I think it's good to see a rotation of faces but most of the ones suggested seem somewhat uninspiring (Robbie Fowler for instance.) The only decent additions for me are Vialli, Schmeichel and Murphy. If they could manage to use them a few times (I know Vialli has TV commitments in Italy) and were maybe able to use some of their promising past World Cup pundits every so often (Klinsmann, Seedorf & Martin O'Neill), plus some of their decent pundits they've used previously still involved in the game (e.g. Laudrup, Phil Neville, Mick McCarthy), plus some guys who've impressed on punditry elsewhere (Clarke Carlisle, Roberto Martinez), plus some of their more underrated pundits (e.g. Pat Nevin and maybe even the likes of Graham Taylor/Jimmy Armfield, etc.) then I think they'd have a very good show! I know that not all of these would be available every week or whatever but it does suggest to me they could do a lot better job than they do.

robbie seems to be everywhere. he is on lfctv, he sometimes does sky sports, the europa league on itv4 and used to do ESPN
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Readingfan wrote: »
    I agree about having a bigger pool of pundits.
    Not sure about using people who are still in the game though.
    They should have a good insight into what is happening as they are there day in day out but generally they are unwilling to give stong opinions because they may upset team mates, staff, opposition etc.

Kompany was on last season and although he spoke well and came across as an intelligent guy you could see when he had to zip it and not say what he wanted to.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Last season, "Twitter" comments, now weve got "Did you think its a penalty" vote now............WTF.
    I didn't mind the one line stats about goals etc. but the social media stuff was terrible. Not on;y was it three lines of text to ask the question and give the twitter details it then went to a second screen of t&cs
  • wavy-davywavy-davy Posts: 7,122
    Forum Member
    Replace jug ears with Chapman please beeb.
  • Steve1977Steve1977 Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought MOTD did great last night. People are clamouring for them to shake it and they did try new things...things which were a success.

Lineker chatting to Martinez was great. Something different made you think MOTD was still relevant and not something on when the last of the crisp packets have been swept up. (sure it was pre-recorded but it was different to the token after match interviews)
    Also the Twitter interactivity was done right and due to it offering an opposite viewpoint to the presenters, it had them giving a solid reason for their viewpoint. In this case it was Alan Shearer and he offered his viewpoint and correctly said it was a penalty to Villa. Rather than tell us what was happening...he was telling us something that most of us missed. Fantastic punditry.

I think some people who are moaning about MOTD are as predictable with their opinions as how they perceive the show. They are trying to do something new and it was a great first show.
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I agree about having a bigger pool of pundits.
    Not sure about using people who are still in the game though.
    They should have a good insight into what is happening as they are there day in day out but generally they are unwilling to give stong opinions because they may upset team mates, staff, opposition etc.

Kompany was on last season and although he spoke well and came across as an intelligent guy you could see when he had to zip it and not say what he wanted to.

I'd agree with some and don't think you'd want a whole panel of them. But Laudrup and Phil Neville were both on last season and I thought very good, and I was very impressed with Roberto Martinez on ITV in Euro 2012.

I also agree with whoever said MOTD sometimes feels a bit rushed. I don't know exactly how you strike the balance between covering all the matches and giving a broader context to some things but it would be nice if a better one could be found.
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve1977 wrote: »
    I thought MOTD did great last night. People are clamouring for them to shake it and they did try new things...things which were a success.

Lineker chatting to Martinez was great. Something different made you think MOTD was still relevant and not something on when the last of the crisp packets have been swept up. (sure it was pre-recorded but it was different to the token after match interviews)
    Also the Twitter interactivity was done right and due to it offering an opposite viewpoint to the presenters, it had them giving a solid reason for their viewpoint. In this case it was Alan Shearer and he offered his viewpoint and correctly said it was a penalty to Villa. Rather than tell us what was happening...he was telling us something that most of us missed. Fantastic punditry.

I think some people who are moaning about MOTD are as predictable with their opinions as how they perceive the show. They are trying to do something new and it was a great first show.

I disagree. hy does social media have to invade Match of the Day? It's bloody everywhere else, as it is. 76% of respondents thought it wasn;t a penalty - then Alan Shearer demonstrated with the support of a replay from a dfifferent angle why it was a penalty (something which wasn;t shown when people could "vote"). It smacked of dumbing down and was just totally pointless.

Why do we have to listen to longer interviews with managers/players after the game. They rarely offer anything insightful. Roberto Martinez is one of the more fair-minded and open managers in the Premier League but it was basically as dull as ditchwater.

Match of the Day is a highlight show of the days football. Show extensive highlights - and then have the pundits discuss the games afterwards. Not rocket science really and I'd say it's what most football supporters want from this type of show.

As for the poster that thought Vincent Kompany was a decent, intelligent-sounding analyst - I think he's probably the worst that has ever been on the show (along with Marcel Desailly). Boring and never got off the fence he was sititng on, during the entire show.,

I saw Peter Schmeichel on Goals on Sunday today. I thought he was good - and offered an alternative view on the Match of the Day analysts about penalties and whether goalkeepers (or club staff) should study what a penalty-taker does with his kicks beforehand. He thought it should be instinctive and that a goalkeeper shoult try to read what the penalty taker will do.

Tend to agree with Peter Schmeichel's view.
  • Steve1977Steve1977 Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they had a time limit as to the amount of highlights they can show per game?
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve1977 wrote: »
    I thought they had a time limit as to the amount of highlights they can show per game?

Yeah, by extensive I mean longer than a few minutes. Should have worded it better
  • C HorseC Horse Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very happy to see both Lawrenson's decline and fresh faces coming on.

Lawrenson's expertise (being one of the greatest defenders ever) didn't help him much when he tried, briefly, to coach at Newcastle.

And I don't think he would have got many caps for his national team (he was only "Irish" because of his grandfather, I seem to recall).

Despite this, he witters on as if he's the only defender that ever played football (for Liverpool, don't you know). Hansen's equally poor, but saved himself a few years ago when he agreed a bet with Tim Lovejoy to squeeze the word "rounding" into that night's programme!

I like Savage - he did a fabulous job on a Football Focus in Salford Boys Club once, and brings something refreshing. As did Danny Murphy.

It's not easy, as Shearer has found out, but better a refreshing viewpoint than the old slippers we've had recently.
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't dislike Lawro as much as some on here, but I do welcome the move to freshen a few things up on MOTD. Some of the innovations were good, I thought it was interesting to see the public view on the second penalty incident at Highbury, and would echo the comments that the chat with Martinez recorded after the Everton match was a plus, even if it was five or so hours old by the time we saw it.

But for the first weekend of the season, having Alan Shearer as the "lead" pundit, was not a good move. I saw Hansen on MOTD2 last night, so maybe the two Alans were swapped around for scheduling reasons, and Hansen will take the lead on the main programme next week.

I disagreed with Shearer on both the Koscielny penalty incident and that the ref in the Arsenal-Villa match had a good game. The penalty may technically have been a foul, but there is no way on God's green earth had that exact same incident happened at Old Trafford, and Siralex was still manager, that a pen would have been given. I would like to have seen some analysis along the lines of when refs do, and do not, give pens when it is a split-second, judgment call. Villa had already been given a penalty, and it is extremely unusual for two pens to be given against one of the usual top four teams, at home, almost regardless of the circumstances. Instead, all we got was Shearer giving the typical striker's view that any kind of contact in the area is a penalty. Were that the case then there would be five spot kicks for each team every week. Similarly Koscielny probably shouldn't have been sent off, even though technically it probably was a bookable second offense. The ref compounded it by not then sending a Villa player off for an even worse second bookable offense.

I write all of that not as a fan of Arsenal, I just thought that was a match where two or three decisions by the ref probably affected the outcome. That happens in football, Arsenal will get plenty of calls in their favour this season, Villa will be hard-done by. I just wish we'd get some pundits who would call it the way it is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great News.... however, why on earth demote Lawrensen, and yet still retain the pathetic Lineker and Shearer?
  • franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C Horse wrote: »
    Hansen's equally poor, but saved himself a few years ago when he agreed a bet with Tim Lovejoy to squeeze the word "rounding" into that night's programme!

That was with Skinner & Baddiel on Fantasy Football.