Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 53)

Comments

• Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    SCD got 7.8m on Friday night, no?

Yes, but in a late(r) timeslot on a Friday night, when a lot of women who'd watch the show would be out, or some wouldn't be aware that it was on, or a lot of the children who'd watch the show would be in bed (hence their parents wouldn't be watching because they'd be putting them to bed)... X Factor had none of those excuses last night!
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,229
    Forum Member
    Yes, but in a late(r) timeslot on a Friday night, when a lot of women who'd watch the show would be out, or some wouldn't be aware that it was on, or a lot of the children who'd watch the show would be in bed (hence their parents wouldn't be watching because they'd be putting them to bed)... X Factor had none of those excuses last night!

Britain's Got Talent has also fallen that low in an earlier slot. No crisis there, eh?
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Hassan, what I was saying is that the 5min clash vs Scd as well as the later finish and poor bootcamp format seemed to hurt XF. But next week the situation looks even worse: Xf will be clashing vs Scd for 25mins which is definately going to damage its ratings more and it will also be finishing late once again. If you think tonights rating is disappointing, just wait for next week's! And that's not even mentioning November 23rd when it will face the most hyped show of the year, a program which will rate significantly more than yesterdays Atlantis' 5.6m.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Thought it was 5.6m? Good share though.

5.8m is probably not tape-checked. Atlantis ran 20:29-21:14 rather than the scheduled 20:25-21:15, so the 5.8m will include three minutes of Strictly. In fact Atlantis lasted 45 minutes so it was never going to fill the billed 50-minute slot.

Strictly and X Factor clashed for about eight minutes (20:20-20:28), but as Robbie said, the closing five minutes of Strictly were reprises of the dances, so it would be interesting to see the ratings for the 20:20-20:30 period.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Hassan, what I was saying is that the 5min clash vs Scd as well as the later finish and poor bootcamp format seemed to hurt XF. Buy next week the situation looks even worse: Xf will be clashing vs Scd for 25mins which is definately going to damage its ratings more and it will also be finishing late once again. If you think tonights rating is disappointing, just wait for next weeks! And that's not even mentioning November 23rd when it will face the most hyped show of the year.

How come you fail to mention Atlantis? I'm almost certain that the audiences overlapped, more so than Merlin.

X Factor also dipped to 7m a few weeks ago, when it's lead in was also only 2m. Stepping Out was beaten by a YBF repeat FFS!

Did you even watch X Factor? You seem to spend an awful amount of time commenting on it seeing as you don't seem to watch it.
  • Options
    DrifterDrifter Posts: 12,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know how anyone is remotely surprised by this. Strictly was always going to dominate. It's held up much better than x factor in recent years, it has the peachiest slot allowing it to get a head start, it has a strong lead in, it had an even stronger lead out that will have hurt x factor, something that was always going to happen, x factor finished later and itself had a terrible lead in which only will have helped Strictly. Need I go on?

Any benefit X Factor gets next week from a better lead in (which it might not be! ) is countered by the longer strictly clash.

ITV only have themselves to blame for this, it was coming a mile off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All I'm gonna say is if you think tonights XF rating is disappointing, just wait and see next saturday's! Hassan, my predictions about XF are right normally, and I'm advising you now, don't get your hopes too much up about a XF ratings recovery next Saturday. Even though Atlantis will rate weaker than yesterday, taking everything unto account, there are more factors going against the X next week than yesterday.
  • Options
    SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassan, what I was saying is that the 5min clash vs Scd as well as the later finish and poor bootcamp format seemed to hurt XF. Buy next week the situation looks even worse: Xf will be clashing vs Scd for 25mins which is definately going to damage its ratings more and it will also be finishing late once again. If you think tonights rating is disappointing, just wait for next weeks! And that's not even mentioning November 23rd when it will face the most hyped show of the year.

I thought you said after this week X Factor would be going up because of Atlantis. Now your saying the next few weeks will be disappointing!!

Anyway saying that lets hope Doctor Who beats Strictly, X Factor and I'm a Celebrity that night and is the number 1 show.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmmm I suppose from now until Christmas its going to be page after page after page of people arguing over Strictyl/X Factor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Those of you who feel like an argument, use this one as a base.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=64872061&postcount=3211
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet another XF is dying post... :yawn:

I fail to see why you call 7.8m for SCD respectable, but really poor for X Factor. :confused:
    Friday night versus Saturday night perhaps? Where you might expect Saturday nights to rate better?
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    My questions are -
    Why is SCD down a little on Friday and then up quite a lot on Saturday?
    Why is XF down so much? - the usual bootcamp effect? - the opposition? - the changes?
    Is the Atlantis rating as good as it looks or likely to fall from here?
  • Options
    Barkers_NippleBarkers_Nipple Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    I think the BBC needed that last night. I think 2013 has been pretty wretched for them especially on Saturday nights and that should ease a few worries there.

Have to say for the first time I'm not watching X Factor this year as I stopped watching Eastenders this year - I think these big shows have become too reliant on their audience and are paying the price.

Strictly is a good family entertainment show, the judges and presenters make the show as much as the contestants and it just has a real 'feel good' to it which X Factor has lost along the way.

I also hear a lot of people saying that the Sunday Show is enough for them to know what's happening and so why watch Saturday. As for Atlantis, as a Merlin fan it didn't grip me in the same way but I'll stick with it as it looks good and as long as the storylines are there then it's a good X Factor alternative.

P.S. The other reason last night was good for the Beeb was because the wretched 'I love my Country' finished!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All I'm gonna say is if you think tonights XF rating is disappointing, just wait and see next saturday's! Hassan, my predictions about XF are right normally, and I'm advising you now, don't get your hopes up about a XF ratings recovery next Saturday.

It's almost as if you're worried about me being a teeny bit optimistic. I don't think I'm going to need to take valium over a TV rating! I'll be disappointed if it drops again but it'll only last like 10 seconds. :D

Once again, why do you keep going on and on about X Factor if you don't watch it?
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,016
    Forum Member
    Can we expect ITV to reshuffle the pack for next Saturday?
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    I always thought X Factor drops for Boot Camp stage of the show, however that is pretty bad when compared to SCD rating.
  • Options
    soupnazisoupnazi Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judges' Houses next week never does that well either (even when Cheryl made a 'surprise' appearance last year).

Any panic at ITV should NOT be about this year's panel (which is the strongest since 2010) or the format...but the lack of a lead-in and crucially, the increasingly late start and finish times (2150 last night!!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Why is XF down so much? - the usual bootcamp effect? - the opposition? - the changes?

I reckon it is down because:

a) people probably didn't like the format.
    b) it probably wasn't promoted enough.
    c) Atlantis probably took away a few viewers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    XFactor is a massive discussion point as it is an absolutely key part of Itvs schedule. Xfactor rating so underwhelming last night is major news ratings wise and should be discussed accordingly at length rather than brushed over. The year on year comparisons don't look pretty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    soupnazi wrote: »
    Judges' Houses next week never does that well either (even when Cheryl made a 'surprise' appearance last year).

Any panic at ITV should NOT be about this year's panel (which is the strongest since 2010) or the format...but the lack of a lead-in and crucially, the increasingly late start and finish times (2150 last night!!)

A 21:50 finish doesn't really harm it. It's when it begins to finish past 10pm that it's an issue. The lead-in the past few weeks has been a bit piss-poor. They'll be hoping that Celebrity Chase does better for them. They've started running adverts for that and Fool Britannia so maybe it'll work out better than Take Me Out against Strictly for them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    XFactor is a massive discussion point as it is an absolutely key part of Itvs schedule. Xfactor rating so underwhelming last night is major news ratings wise and should be discussed accordingly at length rather than brushed over. The year on year comparisons don't look pretty.

It got 7.9m / 8.2m last year.

They do look pretty if you do the correct comparisons with the auditions.

Repeat, I said correct.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My questions are -
    I wonder if people timeshift more on the Friday (especially as it is on later).

The timeshift figures could be interesting
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James J wrote: »
    Strictly: 9.11m
    X Factor: 7.83m
    Atlantis: 5.62m

Fantastic figure there for Strictly and a great start to Atlantis. Pretty poor figure for Xfactor but that should be back up tonight without Strictly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My questions are -

Too late on Friday, may have done better 8:30-9:30 followed by Miranda. But I guess Miranda was like a warm up comedian after depressing EastEnders.
  • Options
    Forum Member

It may hit ITV financially in terms of advertising revenue.
This discussion has been closed.