CS: Owen Armstrong is a fantastic character

NathanJohnsonNathanJohnson Posts: 2,672
Forum Member
✭✭✭
He is the best male character in the show by a mile. He is a great actor, very intimidating but a very nice person. Actually he is the sort of character who isn't good or bad, but can still be likeable, and its good Corrie have a long term villain or rogue who hasn't turned into a murderer or taking anything too far.

Plus the actor who plays him is kind of hot, especially as he is older. And the character clearly loves his family, but just worries about them and wants to do right.

Hopefully the character remains a good long time.

Comments

• AuntieSoapAuntieSoap Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is the best male character in the show by a mile. He is a great actor, very intimidating but a very nice person. Actually he is the sort of character who isn't good or bad, but can still be likeable, and its good Corrie have a long term villain or rogue who hasn't turned into a murderer or taking anything too far.

Plus the actor who plays him is kind of hot, especially as he is older. And the character clearly loves his family, but just worries about them and wants to do right.

He's a slow burner. I'm in a minority but I like the Armstrong/Windases very much.

Will be interesting to see Owen/Anna/Liz interact when she comes back... they have history that wasnt really explored.
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The writing for Owen is very good, he may not be likeable all the time but he's always consistent. He's a nicely layered character and certainly one of the strongest males on the show, I liked how earlier in the year he was involved in some way in every story running. I've always said I see shades of Len Fairclough in Owen, and Len was probably the strongest male lead the show's ever had.
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good storyline with him this week. I'd forgotten about his dalliance with Liz, should be interesting when she turns up.
  • CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Owen's the only likeable one out of all the Windass/ Armstrong lot. Its nice the way he looks out for his family, but its a shame he acts like a gangster about it, threatening and bullying, breaking into someone's house to steal their valuables as a way of getting a debt paid, trying to run Tim out of town on Anna's say so etc, their like something from the Wild West who think they can do as they please!
  • innovativebecinnovativebec Posts: 394
    Forum Member
    I like his character - he was quite sinister with Eileen at one point wasn't he too?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also like Owen, he can be the hard business man when needed but strives to provide and protect for his family. I think him and Anna make a good couple too.
  • ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I quite like him, I just wish someone would tell him to stop being so aggressive all the time.

It was so funny last night when he went speeding off on that bike.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would
    :o
  • ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would
    :o

Good for you :D
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose if the street has to have a bad tempered hobbit as the local builder,he is adequate!
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,596
    Forum Member
    Always been one of my faves. I see him as an instrument that dispenses hard but fair justice on the street.
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best male on the show.

But since the rest are emasculated to the point of spinelessness.:cool:
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best male on the show.

But since the rest are emasculated to the point of spinelessness.:cool:

All except Norris :D
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tykechick wrote: »
    I also like Owen, he can be the hard business man when needed .............

Didn't he say at one point that it wasn't the first time phelan had made himself bankrupt to avoid paying bills?

If that's the case, why did he allow him to build up so much debt?
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great character. It's quite refreshing to have a strong male character who isn't a spineless wimp (Steve, Brian etc.) or a psychotic villain (Karl)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like him too, I'm not even sure why.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great character. It's quite refreshing to have a strong male character who isn't a spineless wimp (Steve, Brian etc.) or a psychotic villain (Karl)

Wasn't he a bit of a psychotic villain when he first came into Corrie?
  • wavlovrwavlovr Posts: 3,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like Owen, he`s a great character. He can be a real pig sometimes, but I do like him. He does have a sense of decency about him and he`s a great family man. I admire his restraint with that spiteful cow Faye. She will get a lot worse when the teenage years hit.
  • EmrysEmrys Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    I can't understand how he one day he's buying Anna's house so she is became his tenant, then the next he's unable to pay his employees because of one late payment (Stella and the Rovers), and then goes back to flashing the cash re: the surrogacy. :confused:

Surely he needs to employ a proper book keeper / accountant instead of either Tina (who got the job with no experience) and then Katy (ditto)!
  • mandead88mandead88 Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alison Partridge!
  • SonicmfcSonicmfc Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like him as he's actually quite layered and will always have a decent motive for everything he does. His writing is really good too in the sense that no matter what the situation he's always consistant and will only slightly change through natural progression
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the way he is with Faye now - teasing her when she's playing up but also ready to be caring whem necessary. Very true to life.
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emrys wrote: »
    I can't understand how he one day he's buying Anna's house so she is became his tenant, then the next he's unable to pay his employees because of one late payment (Stella and the Rovers), and then goes back to flashing the cash re: the surrogacy. :confused:

Surely he needs to employ a proper book keeper / accountant instead of either Tina (who got the job with no experience) and then Katy (ditto)!

Simple cashflow. Buying Anna's house and paying as he did for surrogacy would mean Owen probably was living job to job. One bad payer would put his whole business in jeopardy.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't really get last weeks story, if it's a standalone plot it was over and done with very quickly fa I can't see the point of it.
  • ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wasn't the actor in Life on Mars as an intimidating character called "Toolbox" ? :D

He plays it well .