Options

Karen for Craig

Comments

• Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like someone of Karen's background on the show that like her has also trained, competed, taught and judged specifically in Latin and Ballroom dancing for a large period of their life, but I doubt Strictly would go for a former Pro like Karen or any other old favs, as they've had the opportunity to do so but (to our knowledge) not asked anyone. I think even Camilla hinted at wanting to become a judge (when she left) but they never asked her (by presumption of her non-appointment) so, who knows, could be a number of factors why e haven't seen any of the former loved Pros in the position on our version after they left Strictly (of their own accord rather than being sacked).

For some reason some people think Craig is irreplaceable as a good judge but I don't think he is irreplaceable, just as none of them are. There is always someone better around the corner that could replace all of them, but it's just finding the better ones (and them being available) that isn't always easy. There are so many versions of Strictly all around the world, and I'm sure some of them have judges on it with a wealth of Latin/Ballroom experience that could easily eclipse at least three of our judges' level of knowledge of this disciple. Len wasn't even the first choice for Strictly, another guy was, but he wasn't interested and put forward Len's name. I always thought Shirely Ballas would be good, but maybe the BBC don't think she'd appeal to the audience as a personality (as seperate to her knowledge) or, if she was asked, maybe she was too busy during the periods Strictly is on.
  • Options
    davegolddavegold Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Len should be the one to go and I wonder if Erin would be a good person to fill the spot. Karen might be too much like Darcy. Although Craig marks too low you do need a judge on the panel who has some variation and he's also the panto villain for the show. Darcy is nice with constructive comments and Bruno is marking well this year, imho.
  • Options
    Twinkle toes noTwinkle toes no Posts: 1,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a pointless thread as it is only peoples favourites we want to go or stay. The beeb decides not us.:)
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bendymixer wrote: »
    If Karen was a judge would turn off SCD for good she is too erratic in her judging (from experience) and too erratic in herself to be in front of camera on the panel

I can't comment on her judging, but I think she was a great pro on the show and comes over very well on ITT.

Maybe you see things differently because you know her, where as I'm like every other viewer and only know her from the show. :)

I think the important thing is to replace Len with a suitably experience person and not another choreographer or dancer.

I'm sure people can come up with suggestions for Len's replacement (Shirley Ballas?), but personality is such an important factor. The current judges grow into their roles, How do you bring in an unknown as the head judge on the BBC's flagship show?
  • Options
    tinyangeltinyangel Posts: 1,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amytigger wrote: »
    Craig is far and away the best judge. I wish someone could replace Len but doubt it will happen. But please NOT Karen Hardy - I find her even more irritating than Bruno and that's saying something!

This^
    It's like you read my mind! :)
  • Options
    isledanceisledance Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HollyC wrote: »
    I totally agree! Len is the most qualified judge for SCD, but he is also the rudest, most inconsistent and least helpful to the celeb dancers.

Bizarre, that! :confused:

True he is, but Karen is far more qualified than Len, and has achieved World dance championship status, but still think she should replace one of the other judges though.....!
  • Options
    bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't comment on her judging, but I think she was a great pro on the show and comes over very well on ITT.

Maybe you see things differently because you know her, where as I'm like every other viewer and only know her from the show. :)

I think the important thing is to replace Len with a suitably experience person and not another choreographer or dancer.

I'm sure people can come up with suggestions for Len's replacement (Shirley Ballas?), but personality is such an important factor. The current judges grow into their roles, How do you bring in an unknown as the head judge on the BBC's flagship show?

Karen on that Living channel programme was dreadful IMO and it is different to give your opinions after you have had time to consider them ie ITT but off the cuff on the judging panel I really don't think she is right.

Problem is a lot of really suitably qualified and with a good personality etc wont touch SCD with a barge pole - Shirley Ballas is great but think she may be far too busy - would love to see someone of her calibre on the show - will have to discuss that at the British next week and look at who is judging

I know Len can get on peoples nerves god knows i have shouted at the Telly myself but if he goes it must be someone ballroom and latin qualified - and he is suitably qualified
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    isledance wrote: »
    True he is, but Karen is far more qualified than Len, and has achieved World dance championship status, but still think she should replace one of the other judges though.....!

having won major competitions does not make you more qualified - taking the exams and working your way up do both Len and Karen are championship adjudicators and though Karen has competed more does not make her more qualified
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karen on that Living channel programme was dreadful IMO and it is different to give your opinions after you have had time to consider them ie ITT but off the cuff on the judging panel I really don't think she is right.

Problem is a lot of really suitably qualified and with a good personality etc wont touch SCD with a barge pole - Shirley Ballas is great but think she may be far too busy - would love to see someone of her calibre on the show

I know Len can get on peoples nerves god knows i have shouted at the Telly myself but if he goes it must be someone ballroom and latin qualified - and he is suitably qualified

Can't remember if I saw the Living show tbh. I completely agree about somebody suitably qualified, so can't you use your contacts to get someone to have a quiet word with Len to try to get him to go back to scoring sensibly (most of the time)?!!
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't remember if I saw the Living show tbh. I completely agree about somebody suitably qualified, so can't you use your contacts to get someone to have a quiet word with Len to try to get him to go back to scoring sensibly (most of the time)?!!

Suspect Craig marks deliberately low the lower placed celebrities, knowing full well Len will over mark. Karen has in the past been known to be overly sympathetic to the male celebrities. She has been somewhat reticent like that this year, I wonder why?

Odd how often for the better couples the marks are very similar from all judges. All 9s for Susanna & Abbey, & all 8s for Sophie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    HollyC wrote: »
    I get what you mean, but surely that's the professional's job to explain and sort it out? The judges only have limited time to give their opinions.

Just what I was going to say. The judge's job is to spot the problem and explain it both briefly and in terms the public can understand. It's then the pro's job to teach the celeb how to fix it .

Which said, I'm fairly sure I've read that Craig DOES talk in more detail to the dancers outside the show to expand on what he says on the night.

Craig can sometimes be overly harsh - when he can find nothing nice or constructive to say whatsoever.But generally I find him by far the best and most consistent judge of dance technical quality. Bruno can be quite good at spotting what is wrong in terms of attitude or tone and I think is generally second-best in terms of consistency. Darcy seems to have lost all paddles with a score below 5 and struggles to give harsh criticism, however deserved (but is still a MASSIVE improvement on her lame predecessor). Whilst Len might as well roll a dice and quite possibly does for all the sense his marking makes.

Ditch Len over Craig anytime.
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't mind Lilia as a judge, rather than Karen. Lilia certainly has personality and I think she might be more forthright than Karen.

Lilia and her response to her result on the Dance Mat Challenge remains one of my all-time favourite moments on ITT:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRt-9byBRRk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sadly think Len believes the BBC hype now and thinks he is judge almighty :D there is no telling him II'm afraid - and it would be nice to have influence on the powers that be but I is just a humble teacher :D

Though am delighted to say one of our former pupils will be dancing on SCD with the professionals at Blackpool this week :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly think Len believes the BBC hype now and thinks he is judge almighty :D there is no telling him II'm afraid - and it would be nice to have influence on the powers that be but I is just a humble teacher :D

Though am delighted to say one of our former pupils will be dancing on SCD with the professionals at Blackpool this week :D
    That's great news, bendymixer. You must be very proud of your pupils.

As a dance expert, who would you like to see as a judge instead of Len, or indeed any of the other judges? What's your opinion of Crain, Bruno and Darcey as judges on Strictly?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find myself and my mum, dad, bro, sister in law (all dance teachers ) and in fact most pros on my timeline agree more with craig than we do Len marks wise but also agree the board needs a mixture of judges for an entertainment show so I like Craig can just abut put up with Bruno and Len too if he reverted to the early years, but really would replace Darcy Im afraid know she is a marvelous world renowned Ballet dancer but she just doesnt get it for me

I would love Shirley Ballas on the panel
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    look out for Gary on Saturday he is a great lad :)) and good dancer (from Burn The Floor) http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i50/bendymixer/gazza_zps69ece737.jpg
  • Options
    tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amytigger wrote: »
    Craig is far and away the best judge. I wish someone could replace Len but doubt it will happen. But please NOT Karen Hardy - I find her even more irritating than Bruno and that's saying something!

I find her even more irritating than a yeast infection.

:o
  • Options
    RocknRollaRocknRolla Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    None of the judges need replacing, and especially not Craig.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find myself and my mum, dad, bro, sister in law (all dance teachers ) and in fact most pros on my timeline agree more with craig than we do Len marks wise but also agree the board needs a mixture of judges for an entertainment show so I like Craig can just abut put up with Bruno and Len too if he reverted to the early years, but really would replace Darcy Im afraid know she is a marvelous world renowned Ballet dancer but she just doesnt get it for me

I would love Shirley Ballas on the panel
    Thanks for the feedback. Personally, I'd drop the judges to three, keep Craig and Bruno (I'm not sure Bruno's ever said anything of substance but he's entertaining) and replace both Darcey and Len with Shirley Ballas. She would fill the female judge slot and, more importantly, she must be one of the very best for ballroom/latin expert slot.
  • Options
    pabirdpabird Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of for and against and even the statements that Craig knows his ballroom and Latin in the full technical manner? sorry not so.

Side by side ,hand shaping,musicality and toe pointing yes but in-hold technique and knowledge in depth Craig continues to prove he is out of his depth, he has learned some in-hold basics over time from other judges and I suspect some book learning but his appearances on ITT demonstrate low level understanding

I accept people can like and be entertained by his waspish comments but he truly lacks expertise in ballroom and Latin and yes I know it is an entertainment show but technical judgement from all judges should be available if not only to allow expert guidance for learning competitors and viewers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    memmh wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. Personally, I'd drop the judges to three, keep Craig and Bruno (I'm not sure Bruno's ever said anything of substance but he's entertaining) and replace both Darcey and Len with Shirley Ballas. She would fill the female judge slot and, more importantly, she must be one of the very best for ballroom/latin expert slot.

shirley is a dance icon:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Will be looking out for him now!

I think Craig's way of scoring is by far the best. He marks each couple by comparing this week's performance with their last. Len and Bruno mark on this week's performance only. I'm not sure what Darcey does, but I do like her on the panel.
  • Options
    kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would like Lilia and Ian on panel with Craig. 3 judges means no head judge vote in dance off and more time for constructive comments.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Much as I yearn yearn yearn for Karen to be on the show as ANYthing ... even a judge .... the only person should could replace is Darcey.

Len is the chairman and the anchor for the whole show along with Brucie. Who could possibly replace Bruno !!! And Craig is the absolutely compulsory hard man.

Remember this is an ENTERTAINMENT SHOW. It is not "Come Dancing" all over again. Craig gives it the absolutely essential edge. Light and shade people.

If it were up to me I would have five judges just to bring Karen back, because Darcy is so .... mmmm... yummy :):p
  • Options
    StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Craig is often floundering in terms of being able to judge from a position of knowing what he's talking about but he'll be kept on, for the pantomime baddie act.
    I think that Darcy wasn't a good choice and that Len is rather too carried away with a sense of his own importance. There are plenty of people who could replace a few of the judges. Why the producers aren't doing that is a mystery. Perhaps the current ones are willing to do as they're instructed ie to go along with the agenda ? I think a tell all book from any of the judges would blow the lid off SCD in not a good, way. So they're probably on board...forever...