Options

Il Divo were rubbish

Comments

• Options
    Jim KowalskiJim Kowalski Posts: 4,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to think I preferred Carreras to Pavarotti and Domingo (who always really was a baritone and now is). Perhaps I liked him because we are the same height. ;)

I have several of Carreras' operas on CD. He is good in the sweet stuff. And the poor fellow hasn't really recovered his voice since his Leukemia.

I liked Placcydo when the "Three Tenors" hit the big time but was not impressed with Hozay until I heard an earlier piece by him,pre-illness and it made my spine tingle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what you missed ... :p:p:cool:

http://youtu.be/huPCTEZBZbM?t=31s

2:50++ shows why she should be on the SCD Sunday show. I'll pay whatever it takes. (including my body and soul and half the usual house). I bet she could straighten Bruno and Craig.

I saw a clip of her on the toob doing that number at,I think,"Last Night of the Proms".I reckon she had every male there eating out of her hand.:):):)
  • Options
    SliverOfDiamondSliverOfDiamond Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, they can't have been that good, because I've just watched the results show, and don't remember anything past the first few chords. I totally tuned out.

Madness on the other hand had me rivetted from the first note right until the end. Brilliant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, they can't have been that good, because I've just watched the results show, and don't remember anything past the first few chords. I totally tuned out.

I do that everytime because I'm always distracted by the pro dancers.......which suggests none of these musical guests make much impression on me.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the time the best bit about the guest performance is the pro dance. Tonight was definitely one of those nights. In fact, I don't think I've ever liked a performance by Il Divo. I wish G4 or Blake had been more successful than Il Divo.

I did enjoy Madness though. :)
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Il Divo" are typical Simon Cowell processed rubbish. And considering that there are four blokes in this group, I would have expected them to be called "I Divi", the plural. Perhaps only one of them is supposed to be any good. But I can't guess which one.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blokes pretending to be proper singers on a show where people pretend to be proper dancers ......... yep, about right.
  • Options
    the albionthe albion Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing special to me - like so many of the guests.
  • Options
    arddunolarddunol Posts: 12,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Il Divo were / are rubbish.

Listen to a good version of Tonight with Rolando Villazón - much better than the original José Carreras who has got a sweet lyrical voice but really can't project and I can't see him pulling a hot blooded Maria ...

http://youtu.be/XBuarCc8Cyk

And here is the original stage version

http://youtu.be/5_QffCZs-bg

Hat's off to Il Divo's agent for taking them so far.

The second clip is the film version and certainly Natalie Wood did not sing it, all her singing was dubbed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    arddunol wrote: »
    The second clip is the film version and certainly Natalie Wood did not sing it, all her singing was dubbed.

Yes indeed that was the film version. Marni Nixon sang for Natalie Wood and also bits for Rita Moreno.

http://youtu.be/aKHvhRidkvg
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Butlin's version of the Three Tenors.
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aljaz and Kristina were pretty amazing though ;):):cool:
  • Options
    Bouzouki BoyBouzouki Boy Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They sounded like an old Ford trying to start on a bloody cold morning.
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do that everytime because I'm always distracted by the pro dancers.......which suggests none of these musical guests make much impression on me.

I think the audience are the same. They only seem to wake up when the pro dancers come on. The only musical guests I've enjoyed so far this series have been Madness because the pro dancers and Madness interacted. Most of the time, I think the audience and viewers would just prefer to watch a pro dance.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never understood the hype about Il Divo, I think they're dreadful and not one of them has anything special about their voices, certainly not for opera or for a musical anthem like Tonight.
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    I've never understood the hype about Il Divo, I think they're dreadful and not one of them has anything special about their voices, certainly not for opera or for a musical anthem like Tonight.

Simon Cowell backed. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    FoxyRoxiFoxyRoxi Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed a change in the group, one has left and now sings in a similar group called The Tenors, they were on strictly last week or the week before, I thought I recognised one of them. The smarmy Italian looking one has gained a bit of weight too, I preferred G4 and was sad when they split.
  • Options
    confuddledconfuddled Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Spratt wrote: »
    I was really wincing on the last chord as it was definitely out of tune.

.....and when did they become superstars as introduced by Tess?
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pet Monkey wrote: »
    Individually their voices aren't good. Together they manage a sort of richness but I'm splitting hairs to avoid having to agree outright with 'rubbish'. :o

I'd rather have had Madness back again a million times. :cool:

Or Villazón. :D
    Villazón. is a true opera singer who can sustain an operatic role for nigh on two hours.

Il Divo are a crossover group who appeal to those who love popular classical arias without necessarily wanting to dip a toe in the operatic world.

There's room for both in the musical world - but which is champagne and which is cava?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »

There's room for both in the musical world - but which is champagne and which is cava?

There are some Cavas that are better than most Champagnes.

This "Il Divo" lot are more like Lambrini with a similar Italianate pretension.
  • Options
    Becky_BBecky_B Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    It's fair, i thought, they were really terrible on tonights show,
  • Options
    StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were dire. I turned the volume right off.
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was really disappointed. The first singer was just plain weak and only one had any sense of drama.

You are right there yorky!.. i felt like i could hardly hear him when he started and was much more aware of the violins in front of them!, i was thinking 'Surely they should be in front of the musicians?..' they seemed to drown him out!.. but a deeper voice did come in when, i think it was the second bloke started singing!...

"Il Divo" are typical Simon Cowell processed rubbish. And considering that there are four blokes in this group, I would have expected them to be called "I Divi", the plural. Perhaps only one of them is supposed to be any good. But I can't guess which one.

Well it certainly won't be the bloke that sang first eh?.. Henry!...:D
  • Options
    Kmc1978Kmc1978 Posts: 7,144
    Forum Member
    Great musical though. Think WSS may be my all time fave.
    Mine too :). I hated that version last night.
    dekaf wrote: »
    I wish they would put it on tv. I would love to see it again.

I've got it on Bluray. If you shop around you can get it pretty cheap on dvd too.
  • Options
    Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why, oh why, did they have fellate their microphones?

A very eek performance from them.