The Great Train Robbery - BBC1 - 18th December

Comments

• Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, totally wrong Land Rover, that's just a really bad basic mistake. Also, shock, horror, the time pips towards the end had a long pip at the end. This didn't start being broadcast until 1971.
    I'm sure that must be more than just three mistakes ?

Yes, I noticed that as well. I almost spilt my Southern Comfort!
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, totally wrong Land Rover, that's just a really bad basic mistake. Also, shock, horror, the time pips towards the end had a long pip at the end. This didn't start being broadcast until 1971.

There was a brief shot of the London Underground map near the end.

That was actually out of date for 1963 as it still showed the Met going to Aylesbury (could tell because the purple went too far for just Amersham- and it was a fairly short lived all straight lines version of the map)

Sad I admit to knowing that!
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Anyone think the BBC killed Ronnie Biggs?
  • MONIFIETHBOYMONIFIETHBOY Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Anyone think the BBC killed Ronnie Biggs?
    Yes my thoughts too, Mandela sadly passed away just as a full length feature film was released about him too. Its a conspiracy I tell you. :confused:
  • drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why did they beat up the solictor at the end?? did he cock up in some way?
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drillbit wrote: »
    why did they beat up the solictor at the end?? did he cock up in some way?

It was his job to hire people to clean up the farm and eliminate any evidence of them being there but it wasn't done. That's why they were going to go back themselves to do the job .... but the police got there first.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this was well done.

I suspect the "historical inaccuracies" weren't that apparent to most.

Trivia.

The nightclub singer was "Eliza Doolittle."

She's quite versatile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18y8I6Pm2NU
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    Yes my thoughts too, Mandela sadly passed away just as a full length feature film was released about him too. Its a conspiracy I tell you. :confused:

Thats why the Mandela family pulled the plug after so many months of being kept alive on life support....
  • maycontainnutsmaycontainnuts Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the first job was captioned 1962, but both the getaway Jags were A-plates introduced in 1963
    Leatherslade Farm had a modern aerial on the roof
    however it was a very good drama
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The plan was pretty sound but the trouble was they were petty criminals and not used to something that big.
    Their carelessness is what ultimately did for them.

Even though these guys were blaggers and nothing more it was ridiculously complex plan for any gang to pull off, so many things had to go just right and as we know they didn't.

I didn't spot any of the nerdy technical retro detail errors so i just watched the drama! The 60s vibe was laid on a bit thick early doors but otherwise not bad though I suspect its part two that will be better esp with such a cast of heavyweights. That said nice to see "Arby" as Phil Collins.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Even though these guys were blaggers and nothing more it was ridiculously complex plan for any gang to pull off, so many things had to go just right and as we know they didn't.

I didn't spot any of the nerdy technical retro detail errors so i just watched the drama! The 60s vibe was laid on a bit thick early doors but otherwise not bad though I suspect its part two that will be better esp with such a cast of heavyweights. That said nice to see "Arby" as Phil Collins.

They certainly captured the public's imagination though. The raid was absolutely audacious and they stole close to £50m in today's money.

Biggs escaping from prison and fleeing the country only added to the drama and the notoriety of the raid.
  • PaulB1973PaulB1973 Posts: 2,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anorak warning!! The robbery took place near Cheddington on the West Coast main line which has always been four tracked. They have shown a two tracked location while sussing the signaling. Shock horror!

The WCML was being electrified in the 1960-66 period and the overhead masts were up in the Bridego Bridge and Sears Crossing areas in August 1963 (as shown in many news films at the time). Not very easy to replicate in these drama programmes to be fair! - so a two-track non-electrified section of line had to suffice I guess.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PaulB1973 wrote: »
    The WCML was being electrified in the 1960-66 period and the overhead masts were up in the Bridego Bridge and Sears Crossing areas in August 1963 (as shown in many news films at the time). Not very easy to replicate I suppose in these drama programmes to be fair!

I imagine the budget for this show was decent enough but not gigantic in the manner of a big movie, so that probably explains why there were several mistakes.
  • PaulB1973PaulB1973 Posts: 2,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    I imagine the budget for this show was decent enough but not gigantic in the manner of a big movie, so that probably explains why there were several mistakes.

Yes, I modified my last message slightly to say what you say. I don't suppose they could use the actual locations; not sure Network Rail would have agreed to that! Think a preserved railway in Yorkshire was used instead. I did note a painted 'Mind the Gap' sign on the platform edge during one scene - I don't know if they existed on BR in 1963?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PaulB1973 wrote: »
    Yes, I modified my last message slightly to say what you say. I don't suppose they could use the actual locations; not sure Network Rail would have agreed to that! Think a preserved railway in Yorkshire was used instead. I did note a painted 'Mind the Gap' sign on the platform edge during one scene - I don't know if they existed on BR in 1963?

It was always going to be tricky portraying something like a train robbery from the 1960s. They have to try and replicate everything : the correct engines and carriages, signals, rail lines, stations, platforms, uniforms etc and many other things besides.....it can't have been easy.
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know what I found absolutely disguisting was when I saw the news that Biggs had died on the DS main Page there were plenty of idiots on the facebook part says really nasty comments probably which none of them were probably even alive when Biggs did the crime.

Yes what the brothers did was criminal but what people are saying is just as bad. Probably kids saying all the messages anyway cos kids have a tendency to mouth off all they want but if you challenge them they act all quiet in person.
    So saying nasty things is just as bad as robbing a train and smashing someone over the head with an iron bar is it ?. Right you are :confused:
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    They'll probably pull it. It could be seen as sympathetic to him. And even though he was a criminal his family aren't and it would be upsetting for them to watch.
    Really? I reckon they'll watch this with relish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So saying nasty things is just as bad as robbing a train and smashing someone over the head with an iron bar is it ?. Right you are :confused:

Ask the vicitims of youngsters who commit suicide over internet bullying then.
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't love this but found it watachable enough and will watch the concluding episode.
  • thomscnthomscn Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to be a party pooper, but I thought this was just total rubbish.....bored the pants off me.....I expected much more:(
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have recorded it and I am really looking to watching both parts and seeing the contrasting perspectives.
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomscn wrote: »
    Sorry to be a party pooper, but I thought this was just total rubbish.....bored the pants off me.....I expected much more:(

Did you want shootings and killings and people shouting "You slag" at each other?

Reality is dull. Actually I enjoyed it. Didn't notice historical inaccuracies on set although did notice hills by the robbery location which wasn't quite right( they were clearly filming on a deserted line elsewhere) and the clearly winter time of the location and steam from breathing despite it being in August.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know what I found absolutely disguisting was when I saw the news that Biggs had died on the DS main Page there were plenty of idiots on the facebook part says really nasty comments probably which none of them were probably even alive when Biggs did the crime.

Yes what the brothers did was criminal but what people are saying is just as bad. Probably kids saying all the messages anyway cos kids have a tendency to mouth off all they want but if you challenge them they act all quiet in person.

Iz ya upset coz u ain't down with da yoof in da hood.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it, but while I didn't notice any of the mistakes, such as wrong number plates and wrong model of Landrovers. It always makes me wonder if they can get such obvious things wrong, what else have they got wrong.