Prey - ITV drama starring John Simm 28 April

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a bit laughable when she threw the disk into the fat fryer.
    Firstly, why wasn't the fryer covered, secondly, there was no a soul around leaving the fryer unattended.

Very fast paced and I too think it's just a of style of the fugitive

the oil was clean and probably just cleaned, no need to be covered !!
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So glad I watched episode 2 after almost giving up after episode 1. Yes you have to suspend reality but nevertheless it's good and certainly a lot less laughable than the De Vinci code.

I am even enjoying the bumbling DCI who at first I thought was a crap actress but now I get it :D I think she will solve this and be on his side but won't be too happy with being knocked out!
  • Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a rivetting episode that was, thoroughly enjoyed it and didn't want it to end. I'm sure in the past dramas have had a three consecutive days format, instead of having to wait another week.

I never twigged at all that big mac disk frier was involved.

:D

I also wonder where Reinhardts bunny boiler side is going to end. A very annoying character all in all.
  • iamianiamian Posts: 1,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More nonsense. If he did manage to stop the train using the emergency alarm then the doors would not release normally with the illuminated green button. You'd need to use the emergency door release too. I'm not saying he couldn't have escaped from the train, just not in the way it was portrayed.

But the rest of the plot is pretty thin too. If you've got the one piece of evidence to clear your name surely you don't give it up to someone else, especially when you saw the other being trashed by another cop you once trusted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Jequila wrote: »
    :D:D:D

At first glance I thought he was an emaciated Martin Freeman.

So Martin Freeman looks like a fat-faced John Simm?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Just watching this now (missed the first few episodes) and I agree - there is a strong resemblance - they could be brothers.

Rat-faced implies beady eyes and a point nose. Hardy describes John Simm.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's watchable provide you suspend belief and accept that it hasn't even the slightest connection with reality. The "escapes" are almost laughable, the guy is indestructible. But fair play to Susan, despite being badly out of shape, and constantly stuffing her face with junk food, she has no problem keeping up with our super hero. Bad move at the end though, best not to say "sorry Marcus, I can't let you walk away" when you're lying on your back in the mud.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm finding it absolutely gripping, but I'm finding it difficult to come to terms with the fact that I'm actually watching a programme on ITV.
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Batman- wrote: »
    More laughable was he ran on to a electric train at Manchester Picc which left the station but when she caught up with him it was a diesel express train he jumped out of.

Also the bridge he jumped from is about 4 miles from piccadily station.. fast runner then :cool:
  • Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I'm finding it absolutely gripping, but I'm finding it difficult to come to terms with the fact that I'm actually watching a programme on ITV.

Oh it's gripping alright, and for all the wrong reasons! There was a clip for Ep 2 last week in which they made John Simm look like Bruce Willis, all bloodied and hunted and tormented and stuff...I mean, hang on, Bruce Willis?

And yes, that is exactly what he turns out to be so far, a super-hero showing off his torso, being chased by a hapless, clueless, overweight CID cop. (Rosie Cavaliero is doing an excellent job there by the way.)

I was never expecting any kind of high brow Shakespearean drama from ITV and never will, but hell this is damn good fun nonetheless :D
  • HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 11,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The cameraman has the shakes and ad libbing does my nut in..

But Im gripped by the story
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To enjoy this show you have to accept that it is a TV thriller in the genre of 39 Steps/Fugitive/Bourne etc. Once you accept that premise you are going to expect the hero to make impossible escapes and cover big distances in no time at all. I wonder if the writer was thinking of Hitchcock's Steps when he put the hero on a train, and shortly after had him escape from a bridge and then soon be in what looked like remote countryside.

Criticising it for not being realistic is really missing the point.
  • catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cg_Evans wrote: »

I also wonder where Reinhardts bunny boiler side is going to end. A very annoying character all in all.

I have a feeling, and know I am probably alone in this, that Reinhardt is going to come out of it all quite well, as far as the crime side is involved. I hope so anyway because I think she has guts and I have always liked Rosie Cavaliero.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone else have trouble with the dialogue in the police station between Cavaliero's character and Benedict Wong's? I couldn't make heads or tails of most of that. It was right before he went into her office and saw that she had her ex's facebook page on-screen on a laptop.
  • karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the ex was a policeman in "Life on Mars".
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the ex was a policeman in "Life on Mars".
    He was:
    Ray Emmet Brown was DC Glen Fletcher in LOM and Sam's mentor in 'real time'.
    He's been in loads of things, including Prime Suspect and even Corrie.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    twingle wrote: »
    So glad I watched episode 2 after almost giving up after episode 1. Yes you have to suspend reality but nevertheless it's good and certainly a lot less laughable than the De Vinci code.

I am even enjoying the bumbling DCI who at first I thought was a crap actress but now I get it :D I think she will solve this and be on his side but won't be too happy with being knocked out!

Me too :) The criticism of her acting seems to wildly miss the point of the character she is portraying. In a state of jealousy she is stalking her ex whilst investigating someone who supposedly killed his ex in a fit of jealousy :o
    Killary45 wrote: »
    To enjoy this show you have to accept that it is a TV thriller in the genre of 39 Steps/Fugitive/Bourne etc. Once you accept that premise you are going to expect the hero to make impossible escapes and cover big distances in no time at all. I wonder if the writer was thinking of Hitchcock's Steps when he put the hero on a train, and shortly after had him escape from a bridge and then soon be in what looked like remote countryside.

Criticising it for not being realistic is really missing the point.

Finally someone who gets it :cool: My favourite completely unrealistic bit was when Reinhart chased Farrow for miles across fields and lakes and caught him :o and then topped brilliantly when he thumped her :D Excellent stuff. I also liked the wee bit of realism when they were out of breath as you never get that on Bourne ;-)
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm particularly enjoying how the implausibility of the timetables has ruined this for the trainspotters :D
  • sickparrotsickparrot Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone else have trouble with the dialogue in the police station between Cavaliero's character and Benedict Wong's? I couldn't make heads or tails of most of that. It was right before he went into her office and saw that she had her ex's facebook page on-screen on a laptop.

There were a few bits where I just couldn't hear what they were saying, the whispering on the phone for example and I had to turn the Tv volume right up. Risky when little-un has just gone to bed.

Another one for Mumblewatch methinks.
  • SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    sickparrot wrote: »
    There were a few bits where I just couldn't hear what they were saying, the whispering on the phone for example and I had to turn the Tv volume right up. Risky when little-un has just gone to bed.

Another one for Mumblewatch methinks.

A confession here :blush: -

I hardly ever watch any drama now without having subtitles on. This has saved me many an exasperating moment of "what did they say? What did they say?"!

And by the way, I'm really enjoying this programme!
  • Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just raised the volume one time and I could hear it all.
  • Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too :) The criticism of her acting seems to wildly miss the point of the character she is portraying. In a state of jealousy she is stalking her ex whilst investigating someone who supposedly killed his ex in a fit of jealousy :o

Finally someone who gets it :cool: My favourite completely unrealistic bit was when Reinhart chased Farrow for miles across fields and lakes and caught him :o and then topped brilliantly when he thumped her :D Excellent stuff. I also liked the wee bit of realism when they were out of breath as you never get that on Bourne ;-)

I have to admit I was a bit confused at first...Ep 1 was deadly serious, and then suddenly Ep 2 introduces a few hilarious bits that I wasn't quite expecting.

There's the chase into the fields of course, but also the disk in the fryer (wtf, how random is that!? :D), and the scene where Benedict Wong completely ruins Cavaliero's sheer joy of "I'm doing what I love best okay - stuffing my face whilst stalking my ex".
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    rhumble wrote: »
    Is that 'Dot' Cotton from Line of Duty

Yes, and why does he always play baddies. He was also in, I think it was called Whitechapel as twins - he played both - based on the Krays. Mind he's got the looks to be a baddie. Bet he's dead nice in real life according to the law that people who play baddes are nice and people who plays heroes and goodies are bastards in real life.
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what the music used in the trailer is?
  • wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,763
    Forum Member
    Why did Rosie Cavelero's character just make such a big deal about having told him his son was dead?:confused: