What do you think of Frankie Boyle ?

Comments

• dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iiHEARTy0u wrote: »
    Like him but hated the Katie Price remarks. I really thought that was too much as it was aimed at someone specific. A disabled child.

Me too. I like much of his humour but think that some of his more controversial stuff has wasted him, the KP/Harvey comments being at the extreme of this. I genuinely couldn't see what was funny about it, either. I watch him on past episodes of MTW and he does make me laugh. Thing is, he got a bit precious about being called out on some of his remarks and threw his toys out the pram. Shame, really. He expects other people to suck it up, so he should live by example.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like him and quite enjoy the outrage he causes.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    He seems to be trying to reinvent himself a bit with that cookery show spoof advertised for BBC iPlayer.
    That was more down to Bob Mortimer though. He's the one who wrote it.

Apparently he has got a show planned for the BBC in the future
    http://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001446/frankie_boyle_stars_in_wildlife_sitcom_pilot/
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Me too. I like much of his humour but think that some of his more controversial stuff has wasted him, the KP/Harvey comments being at the extreme of this. I genuinely couldn't see what was funny about it, either. I watch him on past episodes of MTW and he does make me laugh. Thing is, he got a bit precious about being called out on some of his remarks and threw his toys out the pram. Shame, really. He expects other people to suck it up, so he should live by example.
    Being called out and being censored are two very different things. The BBC didn't like certain jokes/topics he touched on, it's not surprising he opted to just go rather than compromise on his material every week.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He makes me laugh out loud so he must be funny
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I like him and quite enjoy the outrage he causes.

Me too. I doubled up at his Rebecca Adlington gag, and I also loved "Does anybody else think that Camilla is what Diana would look like if she had survived the crash?" <wince> :D
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,982
    Forum Member
    I find him really funny. He does cross the line and I didn't like the Katie Price's son stuff, but yeah he makes me laugh. Mock The Week has gone down in quality so much since he left too.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find him completely outrageous and despicable and he shocks me to the core. I have often had a fellow member of the PC Brigade on speed dial when have gone out of my way to watch him.

Seriously, haven't seen him live, but generally...has his moments but is too "I'm edgy me...what do you mean, easy target??" for my personal taste. From what I've seen, anyway. So don't rate him. He'll be gutted, I'm sure. :p

Edit: Guess I don't warm to comedians who "punch down"...
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Relies too much on shock tactics to get a laugh.

His 'comedy' isn't clever.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find him hilarous - he was one of the main reasons why I watched Mock the Week - but he can go too far at times (i.e. the Katie Price remarks).
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    I like him. His show Tramadol Nights was terrible but I liked him on Mock the Week and I find his stand up quite funny. His Twitter feed can be very funny too.

His tweet about Phil Neville during the England game saying that he could make Zippity Doo Dah sound like a cancer diagnosis really made me chuckle.

People who get offended by him really need to lighten up (and change the channel or don't follow him on Twitter).

I enjoyed Tramadol Nights - particularly the controversial one.

His book was really funny. But I felt dirty afterwards.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's a repugnant, unfunny, egotistical shit. :D
  • Wolfie_SmithWolfie_Smith Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    He's about as funny as a fire in an orphanage.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's no more controversial or offensive than Jimmy Carr. But Jimmy gets away with it because he's suited and booted with a posh accent.
  • maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Detest him, utterly offensive arrogant ****
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't find him funny, not my humour.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    He can be very good and he was undoubtedly the star of Mock The Week, but sometimes he seems more interested in trying to be offensive than funny.

I don't mind offensive jokes if they're actually funny, but the Katie Price and Jade Goody stuff was unnecessary and the "jokes" were lame.
  • charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's a vile piece of excrement, who gets off on making disgusting 'jokes' about disabled people, etc.
    But as long as people pay to see this trash, it won't stop any time soon.
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like his jokes about trashy zelebs who deserve it most of the time
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Complete tosspot who gets off on making nasty comments.

Plus one, couldn't agree more.
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he is a total nob, who is so cowardly he only targets female celebrities....as long as they are white.

Such a jerk!!

Such famous white female celebrities as Barrack Obama, Michael Jackson, The Pope, Richard Hammond etc etc? Did you forget about his jokes about them or do you just base your outrage on what you read in the papers?
    Jefferson wrote: »
    I enjoyed Tramadol Nights - particularly the controversial one.

His book was really funny. But I felt dirty afterwards.

The stand up bits in Tramadol Nights were OK but I thought the sketches were a bit crap and quite a few of them dragged on for a bit too long. I'd probably re-watch it but that's how I remember it anyway.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked his cameo in one of the Viz one-frame jokes ("Doctor, I've got a nasty Boyle")
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a Poundshop Gobshite Sadowitz. And Gobshite Sadowitz is a Poundshop Bill Hicks. And Bill Hicks was a Poundshop Lenny Bruce. And Lenny Bruce was rubbish.
  • doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Around 2006 I saw him live and he was probably my favourite comedian at that time. However, within 5 years he had gone from being offensive and funny to just being offensive. He seems to think that saying something really offensive is funny by itself. It's not. There has to be a joke there as well.

The comments about Katie Price's son were horrendous as well and caused a lot of people to turn against him. If he had made such comments about the disabled child of a popular person then he would never have worked again but he seemed to get away with it to an extent because people don't like Katie Price. Most reasonable people saw that this wasn't a reason to insult her son though.

He was - along with Hugh Dennis - really funny during the quick fire final round on Mock The Week, however his input to the rest of the show ie topical stuff which he has had all week to write wasn't particularly strong.

Also, the problem with comedians like Frankie Boyle is that although they are usually intelligent enough to know where to draw the line and are allowed to say offensive things as comedy, they then influence 'fans' or 'ordinary people' to make similar offensive remarks in every day life, remarks which are in no way acceptable at all.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes me howl with laughter most of the time. Should do less 'controversy' and more political comedy though as the latter shows how genuinely clever and funny he can be.

Tramadol nights was dismal though.