Irish Lottery

My colleagues and I are thinking about donig the Irish Lottery at the weekend as a change from the usual one.

Has anybody played it before?

Did you win well?

Is it easy to put a line on etc?

Comments

• snoopy33snoopy33 Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I`ve played it, is it the one you have to put on in the bookies? thats the one i did.I`d no idea what to do but was shown, never won anything though, 3 numbers pay out a few hundred quid .
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

I much prefer the Irish Lottery but be aware of a few things:

Firstly, there are three draws. Let's stick to the main one. The numbers are 1-45 rather than 1-49 which makes the odds of winning a prize considerably lower.

The prizes for having 3, 4 and possibly 5 numbers are considerably better than the British lottery. Three numbers wins you £13 rather than £10.

HOWEVER, the catch is that if you DO get all six numbers, you win a fixed jackpot of £1 million. It won't go any higher than that, unlike here, where you share the jackpot with however many other people got the six numbers.

Personally, I much prefer the Irish Lottery- I think it's fairer.
  • AppleseedAppleseed Posts: 3,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    Hi,

I much prefer the Irish Lottery but be aware of a few things:

Firstly, there are three draws. Let's stick to the main one. The numbers are 1-45 rather than 1-49 which makes the odds of winning a prize considerably lower.

The prizes for having 3, 4 and possibly 5 numbers are considerably better than the British lottery. Three numbers wins you £13 rather than £10.

HOWEVER, the catch is that if you DO get all six numbers, you win a fixed jackpot of £1 million. It won't go any higher than that, unlike here, where you share the jackpot with however many other people got the six numbers.

Personally, I much prefer the Irish Lottery- I think it's fairer.

3 numbers pays you out just over £600. I know this because that's what I didn't win last week when I forgot to put mine on!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    My colleagues and I are thinking about donig the Irish Lottery at the weekend as a change from the usual one.

Has anybody played it before?

Did you win well?

Is it easy to put a line on etc?

Yes 4 of us started doing it at work in Feb this year and have won £606 twice since we started.
    We did British one for 3 years and won £80.00.

Go to bookies and they will show you.
    Very easy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    I used to play a few years ago i no getting 3 numbers pay around £500-£600 better than £10 in the uk lottery...but not sure you have to pick 3 and match those 3 numbers been a long time since ive played it :rolleyes:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your responses. I think I have the gist of it but have I got this right:

1. Saturday night (not doing tonights) has three draws.
    2. I can put a minimum stake of 50p on one ticket for each draw
    3. So if 12 of use put £1 in, I can have four tickets for all three draws for the next two Saturdays?

Thanks.
  • MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Dad won 5 numbers in the lotto back in the 80's. The excitement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm assuming this isn't the actual Irish Lotto that we do over here - if so you don't win anything near €5-600 for 3 numbers - is it some other one?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm assuming this isn't the actual Irish Lotto that we do over here - if so you don't win anything near €5-600 for 3 numbers - is it some other one?

That's what I was thinking when Dad got his 5 numbers (back in the 80's) he won enough for a new fridge :D. In saying that smaller population better chance of winning in comparison to the UK one?
  • FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are the prizes in Euros or pounds?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,160
    Forum Member
    Do it my uncle has just won £500 quid.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Franglais wrote: »

euros
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

I do it here in Ireland and its in Euros if its the same as the lottery we do in Ireland.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Murraymar wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking when Dad got his 5 numbers (back in the 80's) he won enough for a new fridge :D. In saying that smaller population better chance of winning in comparison to the UK one?

Lotteries don't work like that. Everyone has the same chance of winning, no matter is 10 people play of 3 million people play. It's the numbers which are drawn, not the amount of people who are playing. The only difference, in some cases, is the prize amount often depends on how many people play.
  • Katia PolletinKatia Polletin Posts: 4,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    Hi,

The numbers are 1-45 rather than 1-49 which makes the odds of winning a prize considerably lower.

Which means you have more chance of winning, just in case people read that the wrong way.
  • Katia PolletinKatia Polletin Posts: 4,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you play in Ireland at the official lottery outlets then it will be in Euros.

If you play in the UK at the Bookies then in will be in Pounds.

Or as I do online bookies, then it will be in whichever currency you select (or can select) be Euro, Pounds, etc.

Note with the bookies you are just betting on the results of the Irish Lotto and not playing the official game.

You can choose just 1 number, 2 numbers, 3 numbers, 4 numbers or 5 numbers from the six numbers drawn or even from the 7 numbers drawn (the bonus ball).

I play from 7 numbers, because the last thing you want is to miss out because your number was the bonus.

Ladbrokes were recently letting you play as per the rules of the Irish Lotto, where you pick 6 numbers and you win if you get 3, 4, 5, 6 or 5+bonus etc, just like normal. However the prizes for 3, 4, 5 etc are less (due to better chance of winning) than if you simply picked 3,4 or 4 numbers and you can't win on one or two numbers as you can the standard bookies take on it. Not sure if they are still doing it as I play online via Paddy Power as I can play the UK lottery through Paddy Power and just pick 2 numbers, 3 numbers, 4 numbers or 5 numbers etc and can bet from 10p a line.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you play in Ireland at the official lottery outlets then it will be in Euros.

If you play in the UK at the Bookies then in will be in Pounds.

Or as I do online bookies, then it will be in whichever currency you select (or can select) be Euro, Pounds, etc.

Note with the bookies you are just betting on the results of the Irish Lotto and not playing the official game.

You can choose just 1 number, 2 numbers, 3 numbers, 4 numbers or 5 numbers from the six numbers drawn or even from the 7 numbers drawn (the bonus ball).

I play from 7 numbers, because the last thing you want is to miss out because your number was the bonus.

Ladbrokes were recently letting you play as per the rules of the Irish Lotto, where you pick 6 numbers and you win if you get 3, 4, 5, 6 or 5+bonus etc, just like normal. However the prizes for 3, 4, 5 etc are less (due to better chance of winning) than if you simply picked 3,4 or 4 numbers and you can't win on one or two numbers as you can the standard bookies take on it. Not sure if they are still doing it as I play online via Paddy Power as I can play the UK lottery through Paddy Power and just pick 2 numbers, 3 numbers, 4 numbers or 5 numbers etc and can bet from 10p a line.

Yes, you are quite right, Coral allow that as well. If you play this way, the ticket looks much like a British Lottery ticket. That's why confusion over the amount you win has happened on this thread. That's how I play it.
  • chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    I do both the UK and IRISH and have had alot more luck on the Irish - mostly getting a win about once a month to 2 months. I only put on 50p each line (x3) and normally just £300.
    Has people have said, you need to go to your local Bookies, Betfred etc. You can put on 1, 2, 3 (601:1), 4 (6500:1) or 5 (100,000:1) number bet - with the odds here being £1.

For 3 number bet you need Treble, for 4 numbers you need Accumulator. Not sure about the others has I haven't used them, but I think 2 is Double.

Its simple to do and most of them have a Lucky Dip option for you so everything is filled in.

They have recently started doing another draw on a monday now called 'Monday Millions'.

You can do a 7 number draw if you wish so that you can also have the bonus # but the odds are half.

With different bookies, the odds may change. Like I said i've more a less winning once a month to 2 months - last time 2 months ago matched 2 lines £600.
    The other week I did a Lucky Dip on 4 # and had 3 and 1 next door - gutted but its the point of Gambling.

There are actually quiet alot of them around now, Spanish Lotto, Turkish Lotto etc which you can bet on - just nip in and have a look. My local is doing 700-1 for the Spanish. If you always have a spare 50p its worth putting a bet on and hope to get £300 back lol.
  • chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    Just to brag a bit I won again, was only £305.50 due to only putting on 50p a line but I'm currently out of work (and seeking) so comes in handy.
  • MacLovinMacLovin Posts: 2,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won £750 just a few weeks ago for only a 25p stake. I play the fourfold game where you choose 4 numbers from the 7 (that includes the bonus ball). There are 3 draws so to play all 3 only costs 75p.
  • TaomiTaomi Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It all sounds so confusing and I hate going into betting shops. I have done in the past and got frustrated as I didn't really understand how it works. I do not understand gamble talk. Ha. I ended up putting 3 numbers on from the slips she gave me but when I try to register online, it only gives option of choosing 6 numbers. This was a long time ago I looked into this so not sure it it explains it better but I know a few guys who put it on and they are always winning £300-900 for 3 numbers!!
  • scott789sscott789s Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We seem to be missing the issue of the "Good Causes" money.

UK organisations benefit from the UK lottery, I'm not sure I'd want to divert that funding into a foreign country.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scott789s wrote: »
    We seem to be missing the issue of the "Good Causes" money.

UK organisations benefit from the UK lottery, I'm not sure I'd want to divert that funding into a foreign country.

I'd say anyone who does any lottery because if its good causes would be far better off just giving their stake money directly to the charity of their choice. After all, whatever you win is taking money directly from those charities.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Play it all of the major high street bookies.

There are loads of different lottery slips. You'll probably want one that's marked as 'bet for a million' or something like that. You pick six numbers and the rules are the same as the normal lottery. Prizes for three numbers and upwards (out of six).

I find Ladbrokes pay the best fixed prizes of all of them. You get £18 for three numbers!

Ask the staff behind the counter. Tell them what you want to do and they'll help.