Options

Virgin told to block pirate bay

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    CBers wrote: »
    Make sure you're using the correct DNS servers for OPENDNS and not any of VirginMedia's.
    Yep, checked, and its still shows up blocked,
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I already have saved 3 mirror links for the site. All working perfectly. (Virgin Media customer btw)
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    planthead wrote: »
    Yep, checked, and its still shows up blocked,

I don't believe its a DNS block so changing DNS won't help.

You need to use one of the dozen or so mirrors.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    I don't believe its a DNS block so changing DNS won't help.

You need to use one of the dozen or so mirrors.

No problem all working fine, with the links posted by frightlever and proxy site. does anyone know how virgin are blocking it,,
    and i wonder what the court remit is, as the directions given by judges can be ambiguous.
  • Options
    ugglauggla Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found this handy:

http://blog.tdobson.net/2012/05/howto-access-the-pirate-bay-if-youre-on-virgin-media/

Not that I use TPB much. In anticipation I've been using kat.ph for finding my linux iso torrents.

The main thing I would have used TPB for was checking comments for quality and legitimacy. I will miss that if I have to jump through hoops to get there, and right now the proxies are hammered because everyone is checking just to confirm they can still see the site if they need to.

Thanks for that:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    I don't advocate illegal downloading of copyright material, however it's possible to bypass pretty much any blocked website using the free, open source Tor Browser.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    planthead wrote: »
    No problem all working fine, with the links posted by frightlever and proxy site. does anyone know how virgin are blocking it,,
    and i wonder what the court remit is, as the directions given by judges can be ambiguous.

By guess the URL + IP address. That is why proxies and mirrors all work.

Same crap with newzbin2, it easy enough to get to if you put in a bit of effort.

I am sure they said they just want to make it more difficult for the casual user (traffic dropped by 70% in other countries) and they recognise that they are not going to be able to stop somebody who is determined.
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gadget wrote: »
    I don't advocate illegal downloading of copyright material, however it's possible to bypass pretty much any blocked website using the free, open source Tor Browser.

I don't advocate illegal downloading of copyright material either....but I also don't advocate the government going down the slippery slope of internet censorship. It's complete nonsense to block a site like TPB anyway, there's so many others out there and so many other ways and means of getting the material if you want it. It's like using a pin head to try to block a metre wide hole in a water pipe....waters still gonna get through.
  • Options
    Toby53Toby53 Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't advocate illegal downloading of copyright material either....but I also don't advocate the government going down the slippery slope of internet censorship. It's complete nonsense to block a site like TPB anyway, there's so many others out there and so many other ways and means of getting the material if you want it. It's like using a pin head to try to block a metre wide hole in a water pipe....waters still gonna get through.

Suspect that PB is the first to go, others will follow very quickly
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toby53 wrote: »

Not if they have to go through the court system they won't :D
  • Options
    giorgoxxigiorgoxxi Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Apparently after they dropped all the .torrent file links and only kept the Magnet links, the whole TPB site is around 100MB. That means it is quite easy to mirror/replicate and host, this added to the number of reverse proxies that will surface, means it will be extremely difficult for courts to block every URL. It also depends how quickly can the courts execute a decision regarding a particular or set of URLs.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    martymart wrote: »
    The uk pirate party have their own opinion on this. https://tpb.pirateparty.org.uk/

Not unlike what I would have done ;):D

Thanks for the link but as a fan of anime I use other sites :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toby53 wrote: »

They won't though, because as quickly as one is blocked, another pops up....it's a never ending cycle. Also, what about mirrors? Are they all going to be blocked too? You can't censor the internet like this, it will be proven over time. I suggest you take a look at the thread about this in the PC forum.
  • Options
    dadioflexdadioflex Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the saying, something like: the internet treats censorship like damage and routes around it.

It's akin to banning cassette recorders because your LPs are getting copied but they actually got away with it this time.
  • Options
    TiexenTiexen Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TPB gets censored in the UK

The Western countries of the world all complaints about the censorship in Iran, China, Saudi Arabia and so on. But they are really the worst culprits themselves, having double morals in doing an even worse thing themselves.

Today news was out that the UK high court has decided that TPB is "massively infringing on copyright". The facts that no copyright is being infringed upon here at the site was not a welcome fact, so that was ignored apparantly.

Noone from TPB was invited to the court case, which would be normal to do in a democracy. This is not the first time this happens, it's been the same in most countries we're censored in. We have no right to speak since we're not rich.
  • Options
    Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    It wont work. There are numerous work arounds.

All this has done is get TPB some free promotion :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Technix wrote: »
    An example, go to http://proxite.me and then type in the address now blocked and you'll have access to it as you did before.

I logged on ok via proxite, but when i try the magnet link nothing happens? how can I download ? :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    None of the mobile broadband services have been ordered to block Pirate Bay, so you simply start the download via your prefered client and then switch to your regular isp to continue the bulk of the download.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    tf7 wrote: »
    I logged on ok via proxite, but when i try the magnet link nothing happens? how can I download ? :(
    It works via this >>> http://www.hidemyass.com/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    It works via this >>> http://www.hidemyass.com/

The Pirate Bay is not really that good but hidemyass gets onto it in a click of the mouse. What will they do next, block proxy sites.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    too many proxy sites to block and its not the only route to get to a destination on the internet.
  • Options
    IntrakotaIntrakota Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    In some Muslim countries access to certain adult websites is blocked especially over public WiFi networks however a quick e.mail to support gave me the back door address for such minor irritations.
    Thankfully the techno race is several steps ahead of us all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Intrakota wrote: »
    In some Muslim countries access to certain adult websites is blocked especially over public WiFi networks however a quick e.mail to support gave me the back door address for such minor irritations.
    Thankfully the techno race is several steps ahead of us all.

Are we really gonna let that one go?! :D
  • Options
    dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we really gonna let that one go?! :D

Not with a username like yours ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Technix wrote: »
    An example, go to http://proxite.me and then type in the address now blocked and you'll have access to it as you did before.

Thanks for above advice. How do you clear the search history in that browser. All typed in url's show up when mouse begins to clear the pre loaded google addy?

Thanks