Options

Ex-Boyfriend back in touch

EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi DSers,

You may remember me from such threads circa 2010 as "My ex-boyfriend won't leave me alone".

My ex didn't take our breakup well and left letters for me at my office, on my car and at my house for months after we split up. He also turned up in person at these places to "speak" to me. I had so many instances of standing there re-iterating that we were over that I lost count. We originally tried to be friends, but by "friends", he meant "crack onto me the second he could, then cry and guilt me to take him back". Eventually, he left me alone.

Now he's back. I got a box of chocolates in the post and a letter, from him.

The letter was full of minute details from our last ever row, apologising for obscure things that were said (and that I had to wrack my brain for, three years done the line). He finished by asking to be friends again.

I am despairing. I thought he was out of the picture and now he's back. I told him firmly but kindly a hundred times that I didn't want to get back together, and getting him to accept that the first time was exhausting and very depressing after a while.

I feel I've tried everything, from being firm but fair to saying "look, this is going too far - I will go to the police if you don't stop". I'm now at a loss.

My immediate instinct is to ignore this latest missive and hope it goes away, but I think I know that it won't.

Help?

Comments

• Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go with your instincts and ignore him. Write 'not known at this address' on the letter envelope and stick it in the postbox and bin the chocolates.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignore it. If it happens again tell him firmly that you will call the police. If it does happen again, ring the none emergency (unless you are genuinely scared and he won't bugger off, then do right 999) number and get their advice.

Or, do you have some burly bloke friends that could go give him a friendly warning?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnitaS wrote: »
    Go with your instincts and ignore him. Write 'not known at this address' on the letter envelope and stick it in the postbox and bin the chocolates.

Unfortunately, the sneaky bugger sent it recorded delivery, and my dad signed for it (currently back living with my parents)
  • Options
    RuinedGirlRuinedGirl Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd strongly advise you to ignore it (for now, anyway.) By contacting you again, he has a clear intention: he wants to open the lines of communication and is hoping for a response. By replying to him in any way (even if it's just to say you want no further contact) you're giving him what he wants and he will use it as further reason to continue getting in touch with you.

I personally think you should disregard it, but make sure you keep any evidence of him contacting you (letters/times and dates of calls etc.) Also, perhaps mention to family members and friends what is going on so they can support your and make sure you're safe.

Hopefully, if you ignore it then he will stop. If not, then I would wait until he has contacted you a few more times, then politely send him a message along the lines of ''I wish you well, but I've moved on with my life and wish to have no further contact with you. Please respect that.'' If he still bothers you after that, then you need to get the police involved (which is where evidence of him contacting you comes in.)

Obviously, I don't know the situation or his character. But I think you need to make sure you're safe. And the first time he shows up in person trying to talk to you, I think you need to call the police before the situation gets worse and potentially dangerous.
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmersonne wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the sneaky bugger sent it recorded delivery, and my dad signed for it (currently back living with my parents)

Woah, that's creepy, I very vaguely remember the original thread you had but not the detail. Did you have any involvement with the police at the time? This might be one of those occasions where you phone them and tell them you don't want any action taking but you want it logged that this unwanted contact has happened. Then shred the letter, scoff the chocolates and don't respond to him.

This has the hallmarks of stalking going on, and no matter what you do to make him see wrong or right he'll be obsessing about the whole thing as soon as you make any return contact so I really wouldn't open the lines back with him. Instead hopefully you won't hear back from him again (or at least not for a while) if you don't reply, but if you do and it becomes a problem you can pick the phone up to the police and remind them the original incident was logged.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing, he is so bloody sneaky - all his letters come over so subservient and "Oh, I hope you have a nice new boyfriend, I just want to be friends with you... " etc.

This is right in character, he used to pull the ploy of suddenly getting defensive and acting as though he hadn't been being aggressive (when he had) and acting as though the other person was being unreasonable by insinuating that he was.

And CitySlicker, unfortunately no, I don't think I ever registered anything with the police. I sent him a "cease and desist" letter which I kept for a while, but have since thrown away (very foolishly)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've found the thread here when you mentioned it back in 2010 - Stumblebum in post 19 gave some excellent advice which still applies now http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1371557

I notice from that thread you sent him a harassment and distress letter by recorded post so he knows his actions were causing you distress. From what stumblebum advised back then it appears there may be a case to charge him with harassment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've found the thread here when you mentioned it back in 2010 - Stumblebum in post 19 gave some excellent advice which still applies now http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1371557

I notice from that thread you sent him a harassment and distress letter by recorded post so he knows his actions were causing you distress. From what stumblebum advised back then it appears there may be a case to charge him with harassment.

I am absolutely fuming with myself for throwing away the "evidence", including the proof of receipt for my cease and desist letter. Ironically I did it within the last few weeks whilst I was having a clear out.
  • Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I genuinely don't like the sound of that....why send it recorded?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am absolutely fuming with myself for throwing away the "evidence", including the proof of receipt for my cease and desist letter. Ironically I did it within the last few weeks whilst I was having a clear out.

I wouldn't worry about that too much, what I would do is call the police and tell them what's happened up to now, tell them you have sent recorded delivery proof to cease his actions, tell them although you haven't the proof any more you can link them to this forum and what you wrote in 2010. Ask if they can do anything with this - that might be enough for them to pay him a visit. It's possible a police visit could be enough to stop him in his tracks.
  • Options
    laurieloulaurielou Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me neither, I'd be very concerned. Creepy. Especially as we're now talking three YEARS after the breakup and I'm assuming this is randomly out of nowhere?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taglet wrote: »
    I genuinely don't like the sound of that....why send it recorded?

My immediate guess is that I employed a tactic of ignoring him, previously.

His way around this was to turn up in person or hand deliver things. Once he sent concert tickets to me with a note about what time he would pick me up that evening. ON THE ACTUAL DAY so I couldn't post them back.

I went and posted them back through his door in person, knowing he was at work, with a note saying I wasn't going, and that I would report him for harassment if he came to my house.

After sending me back a "wounded" sounding letter about how unreasonable I was and how crazy I was to think he was "harassing" me, he quietened down for a bit.

Eventually he went quiet altogether when I sent him a cease and desist letter, said I'd kept a copy for evidence and NOT to contact me again, or I would report him.

He waited nearly 3 years to get in touch again, by which time I'd relaxed and got rid of all of the old stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My immediate guess is that I employed a tactic of ignoring him, previously.

His way around this was to turn up in person or hand deliver things. Once he sent concert tickets to me with a note about what time he would pick me up that evening. ON THE ACTUAL DAY so I couldn't post them back.

I went and posted them back through his door in person, knowing he was at work, with a note saying I wasn't going, and that I would report him for harassment if he came to my house.

After sending me back a "wounded" sounding letter about how unreasonable I was and how crazy I was to think he was "harassing" me, he quietened down for a bit.

Eventually he went quiet altogether when I sent him a cease and desist letter, said I'd kept a copy for evidence and NOT to contact me again, or I would report him.

He waited nearly 3 years to get in touch again, by which time I'd relaxed and got rid of all of the old stuff.

Controlling, stalking behaviour. Definitely log this with the police.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laurielou wrote: »

I think I'll call them tomorrow, first of all for official advice and then so that this is on the system.

My worry is, he's so good at playing innocent and acting like other people are unreasonable and making crazy accusations.

Still, I should have logged it before, so I will this time.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, ignore him, dont Engage in any way, don't speak to him or contact him and go to the police!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me neither, I'd be very concerned. Creepy. Especially as we're now talking three YEARS after the breakup and I'm assuming this is randomly out of nowhere?

Yes, no trigger that I can tell.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My guess is that something has triggered this, maybe a breakup with another girlfriend, so he has reverted his attention back to you.
  • Options
    JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'll call them tomorrow, first of all for official advice and then so that this is on the system.

My worry is, he's so good at playing innocent and acting like other people are unreasonable and making crazy accusations.

Still, I should have logged it before, so I will this time.

It is not reasonable of him to continue to be doing things that make you feel uncomfortable, and he knows makes you feel uncomfortable. Always remember that. Sending a box of chocolates and letter recorded delivery after everything that has happened in the past is - weird. Why would someone do that? If you log it and nothing else happens, great. If you log it and something else does, then you have a record with the police already about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is not reasonable of him to continue to be doing things that make you feel uncomfortable, and he knows makes you feel uncomfortable. Always remember that. Sending a box of chocolates and letter recorded delivery after everything that has happened in the past is - weird. Why would someone do that? If you log it and nothing else happens, great. If you log it and something else does, then you have a record with the police already about it.

This is what I am going to do, I think. And try to log the earlier incidents too.
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This all sounds disturbing, I hadn't realised this was an ex of 3 years ago! You must contact the police and maybe think about an official restraining order. Forget his hurt, innocent act, he knows full well what he is doing by the sounds of it.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell him you are a Lesbian or have got a current BF or tell him you have got married ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell him you are a Lesbian or have got a current BF or tell him you have got married ?

Is it possible to become a lesbian through aversion to men? I'll be on my way after this. ;)
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would get a solicitor to write to him requesting that he does not contact you, or send gifts etc. he needs to get the message loud and clear.
  • Options
    mellybumpsmellybumps Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't have any direct contact with him whatsoever. Don't reply to the letter, don't text or call him. It's nigh on impossible tor him to continue harassing you if he gets absolutely zero from you. If he comes to the door and your parents answer ask them to politely tell him you do not wish to see him and close the door and do the same if you answer. I would definitely speak to the Police, even if they can't take any further action they could hopefully have a word with him which may scare him off. I know it must be tempting to just tell him to f*** off but to not have anything to do with him directly is probably the safest and most effective way. He sounds like a nightmare.