The Originals (Vampire Diaries Spinoff) Discussion Thread

Comments

• Chris2387Chris2387 Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Jayma wrote: »
    No, I was meaning Klaus as the main character. Joseph Morgan's name is first on the credits, yet new viewers will see a vicious, bratty protagonist who ended the first episode stabbing the character who had featured the most during the pilot. I was wondering what non-TVD viewers, who aren't familiar with Klaus thought about him.

I enjoyed the second episode. So far, I'm liking the Originals and TVD being separate programmes.

I think they're doing a very great job of introducing the world to non tvd viewers. Even though Klaus wasn't the main character in the retooled first episode they still spent the whole episode talking about him so I think people know he's the main guy here. One of my favorite things so far is watching how sociopathic he is so far and seeing that humanity coming out in glimpses. Like that scene with Rebekah and Haley
  • Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it, wasn't sure if I would like it as much as TVD but I do, pretty much hooked already
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up. I like it. Hope it continues to get better though, I think it was a mistake to get rid of Elijah so soon, hopefully he won't stay dead for long, he is needed.

Loved the marcel Rebekah arch, they have chemistry for sure. Forbidden love and all that, hoping they develope that more.

Love that marvel is effectively the son of klaus. I doubt klaus will ever kill him now, which is something that bugged me in the TVD pilot, 'why doesn't klaus just kill them a
    L?' Makes more sense now.
  • dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really dislike Vampire Diaries. But was forced to watch The Originals by friends at college. And I actually really liked it. Which feels strange.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know this was a Vampire Diaries spinoff.

Do you think I could get into it despite never seeing the other show?
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    I didn't know this was a Vampire Diaries spinoff.

Do you think I could get into it despite never seeing the other show?

No you don't need to of watched TVD
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen the preview to the next episode and it looks all action. I didn't realise it was originally only 13 episodes.Personally I think this is a better idea.TVD is far too long and hence it is difficult to make every episode exciting. It now has been increased to 16 and I hope they don't go beyond that unless they have a thought through storyline.TVD is well known for its plot holes and they make things up and they go along.
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Great episode again. I'm not surprised people prefer this to TVD - I love both but I prefer The Originals. Nice to see an increase in ratings to...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am really glad if the ratings are good. I do agree with one review I saw that they should drop the exposition of the mythology. You really only need the first episodes and non TVD fans will soon pick it up.

I really liked the introduction of the garden. I think this is where Klaus will obtain his army. If you had been left rotting for centuries you wouldn't feel too kindly towards Marcus.
  • PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really loving The Originals.

I always found Klaus to be a interesting character and the continuous attempts to put him down in the Vampire Diaries hurt both him & Diaries both. Now they've been separated from that arc and each other both are better for it.

You can see how clever and calculating he can be and the more adult setting has made him less bratty but has retained the dark humour of his character while dropping in moments of humanity.

Rebekah is also better now the cure is no longer on the table too. Once they get back Elijah, I think the show will be even better.

Is it really only 13 episodes? Is that all or will there be a 'back 9' pickup?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Palmerwho wrote: »
    I'm really loving The Originals.

I always found Klaus to be a interesting character and the continuous attempts to put him down in the Vampire Diaries hurt both him & Diaries both. Now they've been separated from that arc and each other both are better for it.

You can see how clever and calculating he can be and the more adult setting has made him less bratty but has retained the dark humour of his character while dropping in moments of humanity.

Rebekah is also better now the cure is no longer on the table too. Once they get back Elijah, I think the show will be even better.

Is it really only 13 episodes? Is that all or will there be a 'back 9' pickup?

The CW has ordered another 3 episodes. I don't want 20 odd episodes because it is harder to keep the quality. This is why the Sarah Connor chronicles failed I think. The first 13 episode 1st season was excellent but because of the type of show they just couldn't keep up the quality. I don't see how they can sustain the quality on this show with a very long season.: I just think they will run out of ideas.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am really glad if the ratings are good. I do agree with one review I saw that they should drop the exposition of the mythology. You really only need the first episodes and non TVD fans will soon pick it up.

I really liked the introduction of the garden. I think this is where Klaus will obtain his army. If you had been left rotting for centuries you wouldn't feel too kindly towards Marcus.

But would you really be better off following neurotic and tempermental Klaus' lead..?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well they wouldn't have a choice as he would compel them! I think Thierry will make a comeback as he knows all Marcel's secrets
    Forum Member
    There is a theory going around that Davina is Hayley and Klaus' child.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    JustArun wrote: »
    :confused:
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    :confused:

I'm guessing time-travel shenanigans would cover that theory. Hey, they did a similar thing in Angel and this whole vampire baby thing feels a lot like that.:o
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member

Cant see it happening as she has witch powers which she couldn't get from being a vampire / werewolf
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing time-travel shenanigans would cover that theory. Hey, they did a similar thing in Angel and this whole vampire baby thing feels a lot like that.
    Honestly, I can't see TVD or Originals going time travel. No!
    TWS wrote: »
    Cant see it happening as she has witch powers which she couldn't get from being a vampire / werewolf
    There is that, but then the first Hybrid Child. Maybe Witch powers are a side effect? :p

Then again, there's no reason why Devina can't be a descendant of the family... Maybe a descendant of Elijah? Would be an interesting twist.
    Forum Member
    If there is some truth in that theory and she is in fact the child of Klaus and Hayley, then the source of her powers must come from Esther - Klaus' Mother.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is this US pace thread?
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    If there is some truth in that theory and she is in fact the child of Klaus and Hayley, then the source of her powers must come from Esther - Klaus' Mother.

there is that I suppose but would hate to see them go down the time travel route would be a bit ridiculous, a previous child that Klaus or Elijah didn't know about I could accept
  • PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,427
    Forum Member
    Why are people posting spoilers/potential spoilers in this thread?
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyyleer wrote: »

If you're referring to the Davina discussion, as far as I'm aware that's all purely speculation rather than being a possible spoiler.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyyleer wrote: »

The episodes go on itunes UK the day after US broadcast, so they have all had an official release in the UK.
    Forum Member
    Episode #4 Watched. I love this show. Brilliant scenes between Klaus & Pam, and it's good to have a certain someone back. A few good revelations in this episode too, along with another savior (who could that be?)

In regards to her brother, my money is on Marcel.