Anyone think Nikhil is being a bit selfish?

glen20glen20 Posts: 954
Forum Member
✭✭
Poor Brenda, she was devastated to lose Molly, her only link to Gennie. She's been going through chemotherapy and has just buried her only daughter and now Nikhil has done exactly what he's wanted and taken Molly away from her, even though he rejected his own daughter just a few days ago!

In addition, he threw the 25% share of the sweet factory in his family's face. Yes, he lost his wife but people have been nothing but supportive towards him even when he was behaving like an idiot, David included. He was lucky to have had such a good friend and now he has just gone and left them all behind - no thanks whatsoever! Now Moly will grow up never knowing her family and Archie will grow up never knowing his uncle.

Comments

• Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    I think he's being selfish but at the end of the day, it was hurting him.

He's Molly's dad, Molly is his last link to Gennie also...think about that.

Brenda has the Dingles.
  • tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah it was harsh and not what Jackson or Gennie would have wanted but he wanted out so what else was they to do with him.
  • FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    He has to do what makes him happy, and not live to make everyone else happy. Also, friends and family should help and support you when you're down, and not expect too many repayments for it.
  • glen20glen20 Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has to do what makes him happy, and not live to make everyone else happy. Also, friends and family should help and support you when you're down, and not expect too many repayments for it.

Can you imagine what the world would be like if everyone did that?! I don't think he's thought about anyone but himself. If he wanted a fresh start, it could easily have been somewhere closer than Toronto of all places!
  • FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    glen20 wrote: »
    Can you imagine what the world would be like if everyone did that?! I don't think he's thought about anyone but himself. If he wanted a fresh start, it could easily have been somewhere closer than Toronto of all places!

Shame on him for thinking about where he would have easiest to move on when the love of his life has just died. Nikhil was selfish his last times on the show, but he has been a good mate, brother etc previously, so I guess the favor was returned to him now. But if he thinks he can be happier in Toronto, then he needs to go there.
  • glen20glen20 Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame on him for thinking about where he would have easiest to move on when the love of his life has just died. Nikhil was selfish his last times on the show, but he has been a good mate, brother etc previously, so I guess the favor was returned to him now. But if he thinks he can be happier in Toronto, then he needs to go there.

He certainly spent ages and ages thinking it through very carefully about the pros and cons of every option!
  • dequeendequeen Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As hard as is it on Brenda, Nikhil main concern is his daughter.
    Yes we saw how withdrawn he became towards his daughter because of her mother's death.
    But Brenda, along with Nikhil's family and friends forced him into realising that he had to be a father to Molly after she already lost one parent.

Now Nikhil .has admitted to himself that he can't be in emmerdale anymore because of the memories of Gennie. And in order for him to try to get some peace of mind as best as he can and raise his daughter alone then he has to do it his way or the fear of being in emmerdale will possible have him losing himself in his grieve because of just being in the place where he met the love of his life.

So yes understandably upsetting that Brenda has to sacrifice not seeing her own grand daughter having just lost her daughter but EQUALLY understandable why Nikhil felt the need to get away from the negative and painful feelings of the joys of happier times with Gennie that are to be no more.

And in the end Brenda pushed Nikhil into facing his responsibilites towards Molly and as the father of Molly he has to try to find ways that will help him move on and not weight him down to the point where he just won't be a good father to his daughter.
  • Redhead69Redhead69 Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not real !! Lol. To be fair I thought the same. Poor Brenda . Lesley must be exhausted with all the crying !
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,639
    Forum Member
    I don't think he's being intentionally selfish. Gennie only died a couple of weeks back, everything is still raw for everyone and this seems more of a kneejerk reaction than a carefully thought through plan. Nikhil has always come across as the sort who prefers to avoid things rather than confront them head on and this is what this is, him trying to outrun his grief. It's not very pleasant for Brenda and I can understand her point of view too, Gennie was her daughter and Molly is the only link she has left to her and Nikhil has decided to take her away. :( Personally I think rather than Nikhil fleeing to Canada he should have decided he was moving closer to his mother so she could help with Molly. Not sure where she lives exactly, but it can't be that far away as she pops up quite a bit lol, so it would still be close enough for Brenda but away from a village full of memories of Gennie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nikhil will have the rest of the Magnificent Seven after him if he's not careful, the way he was tormenting Yul Brynner tonight.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,136
    Forum Member
    I don't think he has done it on purpose but yes, I do think he is being very selfish and also, that it is too soon after Gennie's death to make such a huge decision. In time, he might have come to find comfort in being where he had memories and Gennie's family around. Even if he couldn't, there would have been jobs closer than Toronto. Brenda might not have that long left and long haul flights aren't gteart for people in remission, even if she comes through this treatment okay. It is also denying his family Molly and perhaps most important, it is denying Molly an extended support network of family and friends that would have loved and helped her.

I can see that he would be no good to Molly if he fell apart so does need to put himself first to a certain extent, but I still think that he could have made a fresh start somewhere they wouldn't be living in their pockets with all the memories but perhaps a couple of hours in a car or train rather than about 10 in a plane!
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    I don't think he has done it on purpose but yes, I do think he is being very selfish and also, that it is too soon after Gennie's death to make such a huge decision. In time, he might have come to find comfort in being where he had memories and Gennie's family around. Even if he couldn't, there would have been jobs closer than Toronto. Brenda might not have that long left and long haul flights aren't gteart for people in remission, even if she comes through this treatment okay. It is also denying his family Molly and perhaps most important, it is denying Molly an extended support network of family and friends that would have loved and helped her.

I can see that he would be no good to Molly if he fell apart so does need to put himself first to a certain extent, but I still think that he could have made a fresh start somewhere they wouldn't be living in their pockets with all the memories but perhaps a couple of hours in a car or train rather than about 10 in a plane!
    Bib - but then how would the writers explain his absence when it comes to light that Cameron murdered Gennie or when it gets revealed that Archie is his nephew not his brother ;):D

Although the notion that he could just organise an emigration to Canada in the space of a week is a bit of a pis-take :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Well you always have that problem whenever anybody moves away in a Soap but I take your point. Explaining his non return in the wake of the Cameron reveal would be hard but they could always say that he just doesn't trust himself to be near Cameron or even Debbie (assuming they survive October of course) - ie, if he sees them, he'll try and kill them so needs to stay away for Molly's sake.
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Well you always have that problem whenever anybody moves away in a Soap but I take your point. Explaining his non return in the wake of the Cameron reveal would be hard but they could always say that he just doesn't trust himself to be near Cameron or even Debbie (assuming they survive October of course) - ie, if he sees them, he'll try and kill them so needs to stay away for Molly's sake.

You're having a laugh surely - Nikhil doesn't like the consistency of marshmallows - any notion that he would be able to kill someone is a bit laughable. :D
  • GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bib - but then how would the writers explain his absence when it comes to light that Cameron murdered Gennie or when it gets revealed that Archie is his nephew not his brother ;):D

Although the notion that he could just organise an emigration to Canada in the space of a week is a bit of a pis-take :rolleyes:

Oh yeah that's a good point. I had wondered why they didn't have him move somewhere relatively local, but far enough away to avoid daily reminders (whilst remaining close to family for support). He will have to be out of the way for the Cameron reveal, unless they could have brought Rik Makarem back for a few episodes.
    Forum Member
    Can't really see him as a killer no but also can't really see him moving so far away from his family at this difficult tine either. I was jus, off the cuff, floating an idea of who they could explain his non return at the reveal if he were still in the country.
  • BonymoroniBonymoroni Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Yes he's being selfish but I fully understand why. Does make me laugh that he can just upsticks to Canada without a thought as to getting a visa or anything. Like the US, you can't just rock up, live and work there.
  • HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 11,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    S/L wise the man has zero people skills ,he will make for the worst Hotel deputy ever .... as for the kid. palmed off to child care for 9 hours a day only for him to be too tired to care for her after he has got compulsively obsessed with the Hotel .

S/L wise I would of called the social services and questioned his fitness on a mental stability level post his loss as he really did bin off the kid and only think of himself and thats what he seems to be still doing.

I know the actor is leaving and they had to write him out, but I rekon they would of been better just replacing him rather than this torturing of family ..

It annoys me when an actor or actress cant see that they are a one trick pony on a great rise and have to leave to open their horizons to new things .. mainly work in macdonlds lets face it
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's being selfish but at the end of the day, it was hurting him.

Brenda has the Dingles.

Kick a woman while she's down :p Didn't Brenda say she is nearing the end of her chemo? Why couldn't he have waited just a little while longer? Infact, why couldn't he have moved somewhere closer? Jai was in Scotland on business recently. Could Nikhil not find work there?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tenchgirl wrote: »
    Yeah it was harsh and not what Jackson or Gennie would have wanted but he wanted out so what else was they to do with him.

Maybe I am missing something but what has Jackson got to do with it?
  • Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bellamina wrote: »

I was wondering that about Jackson. I think it's for the best that Nikhil moves away to Canada and has a fresh start. (Plus the actor is leaving).
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    bellamina wrote: »

Everything is "what Jackson would have wanted" in Emmerdale :p

I think Nikhil is being selfish but it's kind of understandable. My Nanny died of cancer last year and her and my Grampy made an agreement before she died that he wouldn't make any big decisions until at least 3 months after she passed away which worked out the best. After she died he wanted to sell the house they'd lived in most of their married life but now almost a year later he's still there and glad to be there. It's a tricky time and I get why he decided to make a huge life change like that.

Of course the writers were also backed into a corner as well :p
  • GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hoffmister wrote: »
    S/L wise the man has zero people skills ,he will make for the worst Hotel deputy ever .... as for the kid. palmed off to child care for 9 hours a day only for him to be too tired to care for her after he has got compulsively obsessed with the Hotel .

That's so true! He'll be terrible (just as he would have been in the B&b). The linen'll be clean though.
  • bob321bob321 Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    Redhead69 wrote: »
    It's not real !! Lol. QUOTE]

It's a soap forum, not a discuss real life events forum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Brenda? Who brought Gennie up from a baby? Surely she's a fairly strong link :eek: Chas - Gennie's sister?

Okay I'll prepare to get munched up for my negative Nikhilness, but I couldn't believe what I was seeing last night :eek: what the hell, why does Nikhil think it's okay to move away from all of his and Molly's family? I suppose the answer is that he is in the throes of grief, but that decision couldn't have been more wrong and was unbelievably selfish, not only because of Brenda - but Molly? He kept saying 'me and Molly need a fresh start' - well actually, Molly's a baby who has lost the most important figure in her little life and needs her family around her. It's the right decision for him, NOT for Molly. The thing is, as a parent you just don't get to do the thing that's right for you instead of what's right on balance for your child, it's not an option. I'd think many on here who are parents wouldn't dream of putting themselves first, even when going through the darkest of times.

Speaking as someone whose parents decided to effectively cut ties with family when I was small - it's not healthy for the child as they develop a total dependence on the single figure / figures as opposed to getting to rely on, love and know other members of the family. She needs the touch and the company of her grandparents and her uncles and aunties. Molly needs her family, and they need her to motivate them to carry on after the trauma of Gennie's death.

I know they needed to get rid of Nikhil, but did they have to do that? I was getting to like him but , despite sympathising with his grief, it's impossible to feel good about his exit from my P.O.V. because I think he did totally the wrong thing. FGS as if he'd really do that to Brenda - Gennie would be appalled:rolleyes: mind you again, not thinking straight etc. :(

On the plus side though there's every possibility he could come back with Molly, in fact it would be weird if they didn't at least eventually because it's where Molly's roots are, where her family are, where her mother was at her happiest etc.

I did laugh on reflection with Rishi saying 'you know where we are, if you don't like it there'. It was just like him saying to Rik : 'now, son, there's always Emmerdale if you don't like the big bad world of acting out there - we'll always be here, waiting for you:cry:' :D