Options

Question on application form

Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
Forum Member
✭✭
Down at the job center, they tell you never to give your National Insurance number on an application form.
I have got an application form to fill in and have a guess what one of the first question is ?
That's right :
"National Insurance Number"
So what do I do - ignore the question and risk having the application form rejected because I haven't answered all the questions ?

Comments

• Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting question.

I did an internet search and a lot of sites said not to give it including reed.co.uk (recruitment firm) and HMRC

It will be interesting to see what others say.

I guess you have two choices

1. Leave it off and see what they say
    2. Phone them up and express your concerns (with a few quotes saying not to do it) and see what they say
  • Options
    maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have put the first 2 letters to signify that I have one and then write 'to be advised later if required'
    I think they want to know if you can work in the uk without actually asking that question,
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maxsi wrote: »
    I have put the first 2 letters to signify that I have one and then write 'to be advised later if required'
    I think they want to know if you can work in the uk without actually asking that question,

Which is odd because they are allowed to ask that question, and would have every right to do so.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I'd leave it blank and in my covering letter, explain why, and say I'll provide it at interview.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Down at the job center, they tell you never to give your National Insurance number on an application form.
    I have got an application form to fill in and have a guess what one of the first question is ?
    That's right :
    "National Insurance Number"
    So what do I do - ignore the question and risk having the application form rejected because I haven't answered all the questions ?

Is it a major employer?
  • Options
    babinabababinaba Posts: 5,447
    Forum Member
    What is the reason why people haven't to put it on? I've added NI numbers before :-\
  • Options
    euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babinaba wrote: »
    What is the reason why people haven't to put it on? I've added NI numbers before :-\

I was wondering too - mine is on my CV as well

Is it an identity theft thing?
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did an internet search and a lot of sites said not to give it including reed.co.uk (recruitment firm) and HMRC

Can anyone cite sources saying you shouldn't do it? And explain why? Pretty sure I've had large reputable employers ask for it at application stage.
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never heard that either, I always put my NI number on applications.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    I have never been told this either, All they can do with it is pay your tax for you etc

It is not a form of ID, So what can they do?
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    I have never been told this either, All they can do with it is pay your tax for you etc

It is not a form of ID, So what can they do?

Well, I'm just going by what the job center has told me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Can anyone cite sources saying you shouldn't do it? And explain why? Pretty sure I've had large reputable employers ask for it at application stage.

Bit confused by this as you quoted my post which did give two sources namely reed.co.uk and HMRC :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit confused by this as you quoted my post which did give two sources namely reed.co.uk and HMRC :confused:

I was meaning something a bit more specific, rather than expecting us to trawl through their websites. I couldn't find anything from a quick Google. All I can see is some general advice about not responding to obvious phishing-type emails offering work.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Well, I'm just going by what the job center has told me.

Yea i understand that. Just strange thing for them to tell you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was meaning something a bit more specific, rather than expecting us to trawl through their websites. I couldn't find anything from a quick Google. All I can see is some general advice about not responding to obvious phishing-type emails offering work.

you should have said

http://www.reed.co.uk/yoursecurity

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/faqs/ynino.htm

The HMRC one is not the one I had the other day but it gives the idea
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you should have said

http://www.reed.co.uk/yoursecurity

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/faqs/ynino.htm

The HMRC one is not the one I had the other day but it gives the idea

Ok, that's more "don't advertise it unnecessarily", rather than "never put it on an application form, even to a bona fide employer", which seems to be the "advice" the OP has been given.

I figure that once employers have been told my phone number, current salary and sexual orientation, they may as well have my NI number as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, that's more "don't advertise it unnecessarily", rather than "never put it on an application form, even to a bona fide employer", which seems to be the "advice" the OP has been given.

I figure that once employers have been told my phone number, current salary and sexual orientation, they may as well have my NI number as well.

How did I know you just wanted the links to pick holes in them. Oh well ...............

(and I disagree with your analysis but so what everyone is entitled to their own opinion ;-) )
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They can tell your age bracket and if you are a migrant worker from your NI number, maybe that is why. I wouldn't leave it off though in case I looked like a potential difficult employee.
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    They can tell your age bracket and if you are a migrant worker from your NI number, maybe that is why. I wouldn't leave it off though in case I looked like a potential difficult employee.

Is that true? My siblings and I all have pretty similar numbers and there's an age range of 7 years between us whereas my partner is born in the same month and year as my sister and his number is entirely different. You could easily tell someone's age from checking their education or work history.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did I know you just wanted the links to pick holes in them.

No, I wanted the links because I was curious as to whether there actually was any "official" advice not to put NI numbers on application forms, as it's not something I've heard of before.

If it is possible to identify age brackets from NI numbers, as suggested above, that would actually be a sensible reason for not making them available to the selection panel (though age discrimination is difficult to avoid once you've put down your employment history etc).
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You shouldn't be giving out your NIN until you've received a firm offer of employment, and ideally you shouldn't be asked for it until you actually start the job.
  • Options
    euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You shouldn't be giving out your NIN until you've received a firm offer of employment, and ideally you shouldn't be asked for it until you actually start the job.

Why? I have done this for years, and I'm not sure why people are saying not to now?
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Identity theft. Anyway, there's no reason for prospective employers to have it unless and until they actually hire you.