Now that we have GaGa and Cheryl, do we still need Kylie and Madonna?

ManDingo1967ManDingo1967 Posts: 332
Forum Member
Has Cheryl Cole replaced Kylie for those who like that sort of music (i.e. fluffy but catchy pop)? Note that Cheryl's recent singles have gone straight to no. 1 whilst Kylie's have struggled to make the top 10. Will gay men take Cheryl to their hearts in the way that they have Kylie?

Similarly, now that we have an edgy female star like Lady GaGa what place does Madonna have on today's music scene?

Have Kylie and Madonna had their day?

Comments

• muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl will be short lived in music and lady gaga christ knows what she is about except her odd dress sense

Never rated kylie sounds like she overdose on helium

Madonna one would ask what has she done to her face its scary
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A plank of wood with a balloon on the end could replace Kylie. Mind you, Wildenstein's surgeon would go bankrupt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Gaga is vile. Masquerading as the second coming of Madonna crossed with Marilyn Manson yet with the song depth of s-club seven only with less sexual magnetism.

Cheryl is council estate trash that made good out of her looks, not to mention good connections in the music industry. People soon tire of artists that just get by on their looks alone.

Madonna, a living icon, a fashion icon, a business woman, a person who changed the music and dance scene and did it all with bigger balls then any man to have graced the music scene before or since.

Kylie might be fluff but she's had huge hits and serves some kind of purpose. I'd say she was in a genre of her own though as she doesn't compare to the likes of Madonna or big singers like Christina.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think you can put Cheryl Tweedy in the same breath as Kylie, Madonna and Gaga. To me she's had one huge hit and album, now the hype is wearing out a bit and her X Factor crown is slipping, people will move on to the next person soon enough. She'll always have some popularity but she will never have the amasssed sales and longetivity as Madonna, Kylie etc...
  • crystal_methcrystal_meth Posts: 8,379
    Forum Member
    I don't think the music industry or singer's popularity works on the basis of 'a newcomer has come, move along now'. There's room enough in the world for all of them to co-exist although obviously everyone is going to have differing opinions on their talent or lack of. I'm not a great fan of any of the people mentioned.

Like her or not, Madonna's achieved legend in her lifetime status now so even if she butchers her face or drops down dead or never sells another tune again, she's already done it and so has Kylie probably.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    Gaga is vile. Masquerading as the second coming of Madonna crossed with Marilyn Manson yet with the song depth of s-club seven only with less sexual magnetism.

Cheryl is council estate trash that made good out of her looks, not to mention good connections in the music industry. People soon tire of artists that just get by on their looks alone.

Madonna, a living icon, a fashion icon, a business woman, a person who changed the music and dance scene and did it all with bigger balls then any man to have graced the music scene before or since.

Kylie might be fluff but she's had huge hits and serves some kind of purpose. I'd say she was in a genre of her own though as she doesn't compare to the likes of Madonna or big singers like Christina.

Interesting.

I would say that Kylie is rubbish compared to the others mentioned. A crap singer with no real personality.

You might say that Gaga is vile, but I find her fascinating and very talented. Her music is fab and she pushes boundaries with her image. Kylie just flashes her arse in a lot of saccharine pop videos *shrugs*
  • PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    Gaga is amazing. She co-writes her own songs, she plays the piano, she sings really well, she makes amazing songs, she's exceedingly talented, she's beautiful and she's an idol to many.

Cheryl Cole is just a pretty face with sub-standard music.
  • pipkinpipkin Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without Kylie and Madonna we wouldnt have Gaga or Cheryl.

Madonna is truly an icon and a living legend, and Kylie is a national treasure whatever you may think of her, she had managed to sustain a career with almost as much longevity as Madonna and that is some achievement.

I am in my late 30s and when I look at Gaga I have seen it all before, I dont think there is anything new or ground breaking about anything she says or does. That said Bad Romance is a brilliant track and is a perfect pop song. I think she can have a long career, but nothing like Madonna.

I am not a fan of Cheryl Cole, to me she is style over substance, I dont buy the nations sweetheart tag, she has done nothing to earn it, I find her music insipid and boring, and I think she will soon be forgotten once Simon Cowell tells us who we must like next
    Forum Member
    Was this thread started for no other reason than to facilitate some Cole bashing? She doesn't warrant inclusion on the list IMO so I can't help suspecting that was the entire point.
  • ManDingo1967ManDingo1967 Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Was this thread started for no other reason than to facilitate some Cole bashing? She doesn't warrant inclusion on the list IMO so I can't help suspecting that was the entire point.

Not at all. I'm not setting out to bash any of the women in the list (although I have a long-standing deep dislike for Madonna but that stems from her hypocrisy about fur).

Regardless of her singing ability, Cheryl is proving herself as a successful solo music artist (although it remains to be seen whether she will have the longevity of Kylie). Her two albums have sold well and she's had a couple of no. 1 singles and a handful of top 10 hits. Her genre is, like Kylie's, fluffy pop and she has a similar performance style (dancers, flamboyant outfits, etc). She is being pushed as the new pop princess, i.e. a successor to Kylie, who at 43 is getting a bit long in the tooth to compete.
    Forum Member
    Not at all. I'm not setting out to bash any of the women in the list (although I have a long-standing deep dislike for Madonna but that stems from her hypocrisy about fur).

Regardless of her singing ability, Cheryl is proving herself as a successful solo music artist (although it remains to be seen whether she will have the longevity of Kylie). Her two albums have sold well and she's had a couple of no. 1 singles and a handful of top 10 hits. Her genre is, like Kylie's, fluffy pop and she has a similar performance style (dancers, flamboyant outfits, etc). She is being pushed as the new pop princess, i.e. a successor to Kylie, who at 43 is getting a bit long in the tooth to compete.

Fair enough.

I'm always horrified at so many famous singers, actors, models etc being seduced into wearing skins, furs, leathers - seemingly because pretty much all of the most avante garde designers use animal products. And before anyone says Stella McCartney she isn't exactly up there with the real weird and wonderful creatives of our times that singers like to use.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Kylie has more than proved herself over the past 22 years. She might not have the album and singles sales of some of the more recent female soloists around, but her tour ticket sales sure speak for themselves. And 'All The Lovers' is her best selling single since 'Love at First Sight' :D Cheryl can only dream of having a career like mainly because Kylie can at least hold a note.

Also, after having million selling singles and huge hits of her own i'm sure she'll survive having a few singles miss top 10. She has genuinely great pop songs like Devil, Step Back in Time, Confide in Me, Spinning Around and Love at First Sight to fall back on. :D

No way will Madonna ever have her day! Aside from her massive album and single sales, she is also a HUGE touring artist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh Gawd help us. Will Chezza have a massive rogue eyebrow by the age of 40? Lol.
    Forum Member
    Oh Gawd help us. Will Chezza have a massive rogue eyebrow by the age of 40? Lol.

WETS MYSELF.
  • Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Kylie? Maybe a bit past it. But she won't be overtaken by Cheryl.

Madonna? No. All her albums sell at least 3m worldwide, and she is the most successful solo touring act in the world.
    Forum Member
    Kylie? Maybe a bit past it. But she won't be overtaken by Cheryl.

Madonna? No. All her albums sell at least 3m worldwide, and she is the most successful solo touring act in the world.

Cheryl Cole is nothing special. She's the UK's Katy Perry.

But less famous.
  • Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl will burn out in 2 years maximum, then she'll reunite Girls Aloud for the $. After that she'll sit on her arse in a mansion doing endorsements and modelling for the rest of her life.
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    Cheryl is council estate trash

Nice!

Tell the Queen one wishes her well when you next see her :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Fair enough.

I'm always horrified at so many famous singers, actors, models etc being seduced into wearing skins, furs, leathers - seemingly because pretty much all of the most avante garde designers use animal products. And before anyone says Stella McCartney she isn't exactly up there with the real weird and wonderful creatives of our times that singers like to use.

It's a very sad trend of the last few years. I don't know how anyone can justify wearing real fur.

I used to have a lot of time for Lily Allen until last winter when she was photographed more than once wearing a huge white fox fur hat. After that she just became another vain, empty-headed and ridiculous piece of nothingness in my eyes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry, have you been outside lately? It's chillier than Madonna's cold dead eyes. And you expect people to go out without something dead (and fabulous) on their backs? It's not vanity, it's necessity. I'm not gonna freeze my nuts off to appease some frumpy vegans.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No point to this thread. They are all different.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    I don't think any female will have the chance to get to Madonna's level these days, everyone is so disposable. Regardless of how successful Gaga is now, I just can't imagine her in 20 years time still having No1 hits.
    Forum Member
    barneyboy wrote: »
    No point to this thread. They are all different.

I disagree. I think Cheryl and GaGa are natural successors to Kylie and Madonna in terms of their respective musical styles and markets.
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry, have you been outside lately? It's chillier than Madonna's cold dead eyes. And you expect people to go out without something dead (and fabulous) on their backs? It's not vanity, it's necessity. I'm not gonna freeze my nuts off to appease some frumpy vegans.

Hoping this post is tongue-in-cheek, otherwise I despair of your shallowness. I agree, fur is beautiful .... on its original owner, not on some air-headed vacuous bint.

Re staying warm in this bollock-freezing weather: ever heard of layering-up?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I have a layer of beaver, then a layer of fox, then finally some mink. I'm like some sort of dead animal trifle.
    Thankfully it's getting a little warmer now, so the baby seal gilet isn't essential.