Tomb Raider

Comments

• LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will have to wait for my new TV to come before I play then to appreciate the good graphics
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I finished it yesterday after I managed to get some times to play it. Loved it and feel myself itching to go back for more.

I really hope its success and the almost certain to happen film ensures that we got more TR in the future although I wish we didnt have to wait so long all the time. Even if the wait was worth it for the fab game we got.

For those that have finished:
    Is it silly that I got goose bumps the first time she used 2 guns to kill Mathius. :D
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Yep, it is a very nice looking game. Screenshots don't really do it justice - when you see it in motion it's more impressive.

Here's some I just took - everything maxed except tessellation turned off because it causes crashes on NVIDIA cards.

I didn't actually play the game with TressFX on because I didn't think it was that great and I took a huge FPS hit. Turned it on for the screenshots though.

http://postimage.org/image/e9grjiovd/full/
    http://postimage.org/image/h4hrm3u5v/full/
    http://postimage.org/image/7wtzqo2fn/full/
    http://postimage.org/image/ru01s3vdd/full/

That is seriously delicious. Surprisingly not all that far off the 360 game in still shots, with the exception to the odd higher resolution texture here and there but still very close. I'd like to see it running native 1080p/60fps though with the floppy hair. :)
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    I'm as stuck as a stuck thing. I've collected the salvage and managed to turn the wheel and the next stage has been accessed, I've been slapped about, had my arms tied behind my back and I've managed to hide behind walls to reach the sanctuary of a hidey hole. A Russian bloke has found me and strangles me. When he starts the strangling, I rotate the left stick and hit Y and then B, good so far as I get away but he gets me again the strangling continues, again I rotate the left stick and hit Y and then B but to no avail.

Please, can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here? I've heard that Russian's dialogue so often that I can repeat it verbatim. I seriously need help. :cry:
  • PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had trouble with the Y then B for a while

It seems to be all about timing, make sure it's well within the centre circle when the prompt to press the button appears
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Over 1m copies of Tomb Raider sold in less than 2 days. Looks like it's a huge success.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starsailor wrote: »
    Over 1m copies of Tomb Raider sold in less than 2 days. Looks like it's a huge success.

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest, the thirst for decent adventure games must be immense. Every game these days seems to be an open world GTA wannabe or FPS or a mix of both. Yes some of those are good games but we need more platforming, collecting and puzzle solving action games, I personally could play games like Tomb Raider all the time.

Roll on Tomb Raider 2 and Uncharted 4. GTA V meh, you can keep it.
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    Doesn't surprise me in the slightest, the thirst for decent adventure games must be immense. Every game these days seems to be an open world GTA wannabe or FPS or a mix of both. Yes some of those are good games but we need more platforming, collecting and puzzle solving action games, I personally could play games like Tomb Raider all the time.

Roll on Tomb Raider 2 and Uncharted 4. GTA V meh, you can keep it.

Also 360 owners who miss out on uncharted have this now instead

Tbh im loving this more than uncharted thought i was at the end of the game last night then it leads to another section i was amazed you probly all know which bit im on about im 70% done now am definatly gonna replay
  • designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    biggebruv wrote: »
    Also 360 owners who miss out on uncharted have this now instead

Tbh im loving this more than uncharted thought i was at the end of the game last night then it leads to another section i was amazed you probly all know which bit im on about im 70% done now am definatly gonna replay

I've always wanted to play Uncharted but I'd never had a PS3... Until I met my other half and he has them. When he lets me on his console I will have a play on it
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    paulsalter wrote: »
    I had trouble with the Y then B for a while

It seems to be all about timing, make sure it's well within the centre circle when the prompt to press the button appears

Thank you, I'm relieved that it's just not me, will keep my eye on the centre circle. Much obliged. ;)
    Forum Member
    The price was also good on this game being £30 in most shops, that makes it an easy buy. Overall the best game I've played in ages, if it's not got a New Game+ setting then I hope the hard mode offers a substantial challenge.
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Very impressed by this so far. It's more enjoyable than uncharted in my opinion and that was what I considered the one of best franchise this generation. So I really rate it up there best and I really can't wait to see a potential sequel in the coming years. It's must have for console owners and PC users.
    Forum Member
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    Very impressed by this so far. It's more enjoyable than uncharted in my opinion and that was what I considered the one of best franchise this generation. So I really rate it up there best and I really can't wait to see a potential sequel in the coming years. It's must have for console owners and PC users.

Whoa.. high praise coming from you. Have you played the console version?
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Whoa.. high praise coming from you. Have you played the console version?

Nope playing on on the PC. Saw it running on the 360, and apart from the odd frame rate issues It looks great, not seen the PS3 version though.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    I'm as stuck as a stuck thing. I've collected the salvage and managed to turn the wheel and the next stage has been accessed, I've been slapped about, had my arms tied behind my back and I've managed to hide behind walls to reach the sanctuary of a hidey hole. A Russian bloke has found me and strangles me. When he starts the strangling, I rotate the left stick and hit Y and then B, good so far as I get away but he gets me again the strangling continues, again I rotate the left stick and hit Y and then B but to no avail.

Please, can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here? I've heard that Russian's dialogue so often that I can repeat it verbatim. I seriously need help. :cry:

Good job I read this thread first as I did that bit on my 2nd go :)

Loving the game so far - probably got a lot to go, but it's quite brilliant. Best one of the series. Camilla Luddington's voice acting is top notch as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I'm seriously impressed by this game. It just feels so well designed, from the super smooth gameplay to the graphics and the story. The multiplayer isn't the best but then that wasn't what I bought the game for anyway.

I think I've out in about seven hours on the story so far and I was at 53% completed the last time I checked. Granted I'm taking my time exploring to find the collectibles but it must be a pretty big game.

In glad they've made Tomb Raider good again because after Underworld I feared it would die and never be seen again. Clearly a solid game plus equally strong marketing can do wonders for something as deserving as this if that 1m figure in two days is any indication of how good the game's performing at the moment.
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm also really enjoying this so far. It did have a pretty big miss step on the way up to the Radio Tower, I discovered that I don't really like the gun fights in this game. When you see a few guys that you can take out with stealth it's fantastic, but when you get thrown into big fire fights it borders on tedious for me. That's pretty much my only complaint so far. I love the extra flexibility with climbing with the axe and bow, the additional tombs are great. I just wish they hadn't felt the need to put on these gunfights in, the game is much more atmospheric without them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't actually play the game with TressFX on because I didn't think it was that great and I took a huge FPS hit. Turned it on for the screenshots though.
    http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/578982602200915284/E9BF1861E7B9B0A7DBF7F63227C0CA73E611B991/

Dat hair.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    Finally solved my missing textures in the Mountain Temple mission that was killing the game stone dead in its tracks. Tried every single graphic combination and switch, installed the very latest Nvidia drivers, deleted and reloaded the game - none of which worked. It turned out to be some miss-step between the scripting and the salvage collecting. I got an inkling that something of the sort was wrong when I noticed it was telling me that I needed to upgrade/harden the pry axe thing, when I knew I'd already done it. So part of the game thought I needed to upgrade the axe and part of it knew I didn't need to. The upshot was that it would let me use the axe to turn the winch that opened the big stone door into the temple when it wasn't ready and hadn't yet run the next set of textures in. So I'd open the door, follow the archaeologist chap inside and promptly step into an empty world (no nothing except the sky background) with nothing happening and nowhere to go.

Turned out all I needed to do was go back over old ground and find fifty more salvage points at which point the on-screen warning to harden my axe went away and when I went into the camp fire upgrade menu it still said that, yes, my axe was already hardened and couldn't be upgraded any more, but this time when I turned the wheel and went into the temple it was all filled in and there are it should be, along with the archaeologist chap rabbiting on - the game continues, Hurrah! I've been two days trying to get going again, dag nabbit. Ah well, onward and upward. At least I've got it going again.

Regards

Mark
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just found my first hidden tomb as well, which is groovy. I think i'm only about 10-12% into the game overall.
  • DarkestHourDarkestHour Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »

It looks good in stills, but it is erratic in its motion - the physics can be all over the place and it doesn't rest on her shoulders properly - there's an invisible barrier. It definitely needs tweaking, which Crystal Dynamics have said they're doing in future patches. It's also overly shiny!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks good in stills, but it is erratic in its motion - the physics can be all over the place and it doesn't rest on her shoulders properly - there's an invisible barrier. It definitely needs tweaking, which Crystal Dynamics have said they're doing in future patches. It's also overly shiny!
    I think it is a lot better than what we have without it!

It is something that truck me in the PS4 reveals. All that next-gen console goodness, particles flying around and yet everyone's hair was a glued on block, rigid and motionless.
  • RecurringRecurring Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    I've always been a big TR fan but I'm surprised how much I've enjoyed this so far (very near the end atm). I was dubious of the reboot but I've loved it, and like someone mentioned already the only thing that detracts from it for me is the drawn out, tedious fights where waves of solarii drop in which completely breaks immersion.
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    Just finished it brillent game everything thing about the game presented itself perfectly and it all blended together so well right till the end.

Still have a bit more exploring to do then im definatly replaying again its that good hope this continues to sell well for the next few weeks.

Is there no new game+ mode where i can start the game again with all my upgrades:(
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    Nope playing on on the PC. Saw it running on the 360, and apart from the odd frame rate issues It looks great, not seen the PS3 version though.

Uploaded a little clip of full max settings showing of the lighting and hair effects in a cave it looks amazing, for some reason 1080 is missing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xenDe6Yv4cA