In your opinion who are the best vocalists the show has ever had technically speaking

Comments

• Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a void post. Leon Jackson won so you're suggesting that he's vocally one of the best The X Factor has seen because he was the winner? Hahahaha.

I only came on here to leave an opinion, which is what I was asked for.. Not an argument with the chairman of the Alexandra Burke fan club.

That's obviously not what I was implying as it's the public that vote for the winner. But if Niki was as good as you say she is technically, then surely she should have gone much further. The truth is, her performances were run of the mill and she doesn't have much range or use the range she does have very well. I had to YouTube a performance because nothing she did made much of an impact.

By all means support her if you like her, but one of "the best vocalists the show has ever had, technically speaking" she is not. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with everyone that's saying Joe. I'm still completely confused to why Syco gave up on him so quickly. He has one of the best voices the show has ever had as a few people have already mentioned. He's also got great personality and looks and for someone his age. Someone like that should be selling millions around the world. I hope his fifth album does really well.
  • SoeplepelSoeplepel Posts: 24,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh wow, I see pressed members. I completely agree with zach. This isn't about opinions when we're talking about facts
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soeplepel wrote: »
    Oh wow, I see pressed members. I completely agree with zach. This isn't about opinions when we're talking about facts

Exactly. That's all I was trying to say. I can't see how quoting fake media stories has anything to do with someone's technical ability.
  • jackel1234jackel1234 Posts: 5,218
    Forum Member
    Technically the best are probably Leona Lewis, Alexandra Burke, Misha B, Joe McElderry, Matt Cardle, Laura White and James Arthur. I would say Jahmene in terms of vocal gymnastics but in terms of technical ability and being able to control it I wouldn't have him there.
  • Rob200696Rob200696 Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexandra Burke
    Leona Lewis
    Laura White
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Facts proven by who though? Where are the facts that say Alexandra is vocally the best? Record sales? Because her last record sales weren't all that and a bag of chips either. It purely is down to opinion.

There aren't any facts that suggest that Alexandra Burke is technically and vocally the best - because, imo she really isn't and I still stand by my statement that Niki Evans was technically and vocally better, it was the young and single Zachary that started making it a competition on who is better.

If I was too chose who is the best vocally to walk away from
    X Factor, I would say Leona Lewis - which I did originally say.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Facts proven by who though? Where are the facts that say Alexandra is vocally the best? Record sales? Because her last record sales weren't all that and a bag of chips either. It purely is down to opinion.

There aren't any facts that suggest that Alexandra Burke is technically and vocally the best - because, imo she really isn't and I still stand by my statement that Niki Evans was technically and vocally better, it was the young and single Zachary that started making it a competition on who is better.

If I was too chose who is the best vocally to walk away from
    X Factor, I would say Leona Lewis - which I did originally say.

Yeah because who was the first British female ever to sell a million copies of a single....oh wait....it was Alexandra :o

I don't know why you keep making these personal comments towards me, it's obviously because your argument has failed as honestly, I can't see any other reason. Either way it's embarrassing for you.

Alexandra has a larger vocal range, vastly superior technique and has delivered memorable X Factor performances. The fact is, nobody remembers Niki Evans' performances because they were technically unremarkable. People only remember performances by Leona, Alexandra etc because they are stand-out contestants for most people vocally.

And another btw, there's no "h" in my name. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know girl, that one was purely just to wind Zach bby up and prove that just because you've won the show, doesn't mean you're vocally the best.

Still, I think Niki is better than Alexandra.

Lmao, if anything, you just gave me a little laugh. You can't "wind me up" when you're touting "Niki Evans" as the best the show has ever had technically speaking. :o
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    I think it is down to opinion. You put Alexandra as one of the strongest....I think she is very plain, and nowhere near one of the strongest vocalists on the show.

In my eyes, you're not wrong, because it's your opinion.

"I guess theres a reason why she didn't end up winning the show" ...So you're implying the best vocalists win's these shows are you? Pahahah. No.

Laura White, Danyl, Misha B, Nikki Evans, Ella - All strongest vocalists than the winners, and none of them won.

NO! No No No!

You and RyanYall are being slightly annoying. Yes it's an opinion to talk about PERSONAL FAVORITES. However, we are talking about technical ability and that's a factual thing. It's got nothing to do with opinion whether somebody hits a high note or doesn't...it's got nothing to do with opinion whether somebody is in tune or not. It's fact that they hit the correct notes.

Hate these opinion vs fact arguments when it's not opinion whether somebody hits a note or not...they either do or don't!

Alex is in fact one of my least preferred singers on this show but technically she's spot on...much better than Leona's weaker lower register, Ella/Matt's sharp tuning problems.

Niki was far better than Leon yes but that's not saying much is it? Rhydian was the best technically that year. Niki could not hit the high notes in I will Always Love You like LeonA could.

Misha B was amazing but she had her fair share of tuning problems. And yes she was far more gifted than Little Mix and Amelia. But Amelia had far less tuning problems.

I'm not disputing Danyl being the best vocally because he was along with Stacey.

Laura White however was not better than Alex vocally. There was a reason why Alex went from middle of the pack to favorite in that 10 week period and Laura went from favorite to early exit. Laura had no range in her songs, and the power wasn't there in her lower register like Alex's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bold part proves again you don't know the difference between opinions and facts.

I have had classical vocal lessons for years now so I can quite see which singer has a better singing technique than others and who are using their voice in the right way.

No not really, you felt attacked when he stated AB is technically better.

Hmm seriously though? Pressed much.

Co-sign Soe. I work with vocals as a hobby, I know when a singer is singing with good technique and when they aren't, which is why I pulled people up on confusing that with personal taste.

As I've constantly said, people can like whatever singer they want, but there's a difference between liking them personally and acknowledging technical ability.
  • LancashireLass2LancashireLass2 Posts: 852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe McElderry. :)
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,143
    Forum Member
    Problem with Danyl, is that while he was a good singer and had quite a strong voice, it sounded as though he sang through his nose as you couldn't understand what exactly he was singing/saying half the time. Take his performance of Feeling Good, at the end it genuinely sounds like he goes "It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life, she farted on me, and I'm feeliiiiiiing... Good". :D - Listen to it and you'll sort of get what I mean.

Lloyd Daniels had a nice tone to his voice - it could have worked well. He was stronger than Eoghan, but shaky at the most part, and going flat a bit too many times.
  • billiesmithbilliesmith Posts: 11,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NO! No No No!

You and RyanYall are being slightly annoying. Yes it's an opinion to talk about PERSONAL FAVORITES. However, we are talking about technical ability and that's a factual thing. It's got nothing to do with opinion whether somebody hits a high note or doesn't...it's got nothing to do with opinion whether somebody is in tune or not. It's fact that they hit the correct notes.

Hate these opinion vs fact arguments when it's not opinion whether somebody hits a note or not...they either do or don't!

Alex is in fact one of my least preferred singers on this show but technically she's spot on...much better than Leona's weaker lower register, Ella/Matt's sharp tuning problems.

Niki was far better than Leon yes but that's not saying much is it? Rhydian was the best technically that year. Niki could not hit the high notes in I will Always Love You like LeonA could.

Misha B was amazing but she had her fair share of tuning problems. And yes she was far more gifted than Little Mix and Amelia. But Amelia had far less tuning problems.

I'm not disputing Danyl being the best vocally because he was along with Stacey.

Laura White however was not better than Alex vocally. There was a reason why Alex went from middle of the pack to favorite in that 10 week period and Laura went from favorite to early exit. Laura had no range in her songs, and the power wasn't there in her lower register like Alex's.

But neither of them were technically better vocally than Joe.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    I would say Leona and Joe are technically the best. Also as a side note, Mariah was technically better than Whitney, but most would say Whitney was a better singer.

Most singers on XF are NOT good technically, they're average folk who like to sing. We get exceptions like Leona, Alex, Joe, Ruth, Danyl and Rhydian, but they are few and far between.

Technicality cannot be argued with. IT CAN'T. Leona is the best technically as she was trained to SING NOTE BY NOTE. End of. Lord ha' Mercy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Yeah because who was the first British female ever to sell a million copies of a single....oh wait....it was Alexandra :o

I don't know why you keep making these personal comments towards me, it's obviously because your argument has failed as honestly, I can't see any other reason. Either way it's embarrassing for you.

Alexandra has a larger vocal range, vastly superior technique and has delivered memorable X Factor performances. The fact is, nobody remembers Niki Evans' performances because they were technically unremarkable. People only remember performances by Leona, Alexandra etc because they are stand-out contestants for most people vocally.

And another btw, there's no "h" in my name. :)

Er... Who remembers anything performed by Alexandra Burke that didn't involve Beyoncè?

It's not embarrassing for me at all. It's embarrassing that Alexandra Burke is your life and the reason you bother to get up in the morning. Do you gas yourself with sure deodorant when dancing to All Night Long? You know far too much about her, do you search through her garbage for chicken bones and used facial wipes?

Regardless of what you say, or any of these others getting involved thinking they're music professionals because they've had a singing lesson with there 'I've had a singing lesson therefore my opinion is greater than yours' attitude - I still find Niki's vocal ability much greater.

As for you with the 'Leona's high notes in I Will Always Love You were better' - turn it in, this isn't comparing the same songs sang. Leona had the backing-track and full production, audience. Niki walked in a room, without a backing track, infront of 4 people and had a minute to perform. They can't be compared.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't believe I forgot Jaymi of Union J. Vocally, he was probably the best of that series.
  • SupportSupport Posts: 70,750
    Administrator
    A number of posts have been removed from this thread. Cut out the arguing, please.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally feel that Chico had the edge.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucy Spraggan

she's the only one who was, technically, speaking
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucy Spraggan

she's the only one who was, technically, speaking

I only just got that. LOL
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who thinks there is an "absolute" measure of technical ability, and that of course their own opinion defines that absolute measure, is simply being arrogant (or stupid).

Vocal ability is not like a 100m race, where everyone can see who won with no ambiguity by using a slowmotion camera. It still comes down to opinion.

For example, I find that whilst Leona had a pure voice to my ears, Alexandra Burke was always gravelly and quite unpleasent to listen to as a result. Her tone was really quite repulsive. She was technically awful. In my opinion.

Which has the same validity as anyone elses.

Quit the arrogance. Opinions will still vary.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    ^You mean her voice was unpleasant. That's not the same as technical ability. That's what we're discussing. You can measure technical ability, by the vocal range, how it is used, and other factors. However, I wouldn't say tone is part of technicality.
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    tim38x wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks there is an "absolute" measure of technical ability, and that of course their own opinion defines that absolute measure, is simply being arrogant (or stupid).

Vocal ability is not like a 100m race, where everyone can see who won with no ambiguity by using a slowmotion camera. It still comes down to opinion.

For example, I find that whilst Leona had a pure voice to my ears, Alexandra Burke was always gravelly and quite unpleasent to listen to as a result. Her tone was really quite repulsive. She was technically awful. In my opinion.

Stop the tosh.

Opinions will vary but whether you're in tune or not does not vary. If you've sung a note at middle C, you've either sung it or you've hit C sharp, D, B...or whatever.

Tuning is not an opinion, it's fact. That's a technical skill. Range is the same. It's not opinion whether a person can hit a note, it's fact.

Now what you've stated is about tone - now that is opinion!

While I agree Alex's tone can be unpleasant, that's simply opinion. Factually, she was pitch perfect in most of her performances and there was range. That is fact.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim38x wrote: »

Preferring someone's tone isn't about technical ability though, that is just a preference. Alexandra is still a great technical singer, even if you don't like her voice.