Options

Xbox One: Advice for Newbies

deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
Forum Member
Ok - this is gonna seem like a real dumb question but here goes anyway!:blush:

I don't have an Xbox One yet, only a 360, but I am planning to get an X1 at the end of this month.

I have looked at all my old 360 games and I have finished all the games in my collection so I am not too fussed if I can't play these anymore on the 360 (its not a massive collection!!) - as I will be passing the 360 to my son.

However, the only 2 games which I am still playing and want to carry across to the X1 are GTA V (the online game) and also Minecraft,

I know the GTA V online version carries on over from the 360 the X1 and also that I can transfer the Minecraft saves from the 360 to the X1 (Minecraft added an option to transfer the saves across, a while ago) so that isn't an issue.

Now for the stupid question!!!!!!

Do I have to re-buy both GTA V and Minecraft for the X1 (I think the answer is gonna be yes!)?!

Also, I have heard people say that the hard drive on the X1 doesn't give you much space, as you have to install all the games.

Is an external hard drive a necessity for the X1 then and which ones would people recommend/would be compatible?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Yes you have to re buy both games. There is quite a large discount for Minecraft if you own the 360 version ( i think its about £4)

The xbox one hardrive is a good size (500gb) . For someone just starting out this is fine and will be enough to hold around 10-20 full AAA games depending on size.

I'm using this one i got from Argos http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2489935.htm. It works well. I had a £50 Argos voucher that needed using so i didn't shop around.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    deans6571 wrote: »
    Ok - this is gonna seem like a real dumb question but here goes anyway!:blush:

I don't have an Xbox One yet, only a 360, but I am planning to get an X1 at the end of this month.

I have looked at all my old 360 games and I have finished all the games in my collection so I am not too fussed if I can't play these anymore on the 360 (its not a massive collection!!) - as I will be passing the 360 to my son.

However, the only 2 games which I am still playing and want to carry across to the X1 are GTA V (the online game) and also Minecraft,

I know the GTA V online version carries on over from the 360 the X1 and also that I can transfer the Minecraft saves from the 360 to the X1 (Minecraft added an option to transfer the saves across, a while ago) so that isn't an issue.

Now for the stupid question!!!!!!

Do I have to re-buy both GTA V and Minecraft for the X1 (I think the answer is gonna be yes!)?!

Also, I have heard people say that the hard drive on the X1 doesn't give you much space, as you have to install all the games.

Is an external hard drive a necessity for the X1 then and which ones would people recommend/would be compatible?

Thanks!

The answer to that question is yes but with Minecraft I think was at a reduced rate but I don't know if this is only for the digital version.

As for the external HDD unless you plan on buying quite a few games straight away this should not bee required straight away. Below is a link for the one I use powered by the USB port.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-STDR1000202-Backup-portable-external/dp/B00FP50KFA/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1421145417&sr=8-9&keywords=external+hard+drive
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ..cheers for them answers guys - appreciated!!!

Ok - so no massive problem if I have to buy GTA V again I suppose!

As for Minecraft - is the £4 version (for owning the original, on the 360) - a digital copy or a box version? The Minecraft I have on my 360, is the digital version - if I buy the digital version again, on the X1, will it know that I have already bought and owned the 360 version so it will offer it at a reduced price?

EDIT - looks like this link answers my question!!!!

Minecraft for £3.59

:)
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    The Xbox One hard drive gives the user around 360 gig of available space to install your games on.

Say the average is 20 gig per game, you'll roughly 18 on it before its full.

Some games, like Halo (60 gig) and GTA (55 gig) obviously take up more room and of course some games are smaller than 20 gig in comparison.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rich_L wrote: »
    The Xbox One hard drive gives the user around 360 gig of available space to install your games on.

Say the average is 20 gig per game, you'll roughly 18 on it before its full.

Some games, like Halo (60 gig) and GTA (55 gig) obviously take up more room and of course some games are smaller than 20 gig in comparison.

...ok, that's good to know!

So, when you install games on the X1, when you come to play them, do you still need the physical disc in the disc drive as well , in order to play it, like you do with the 360?
  • Options
    deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...ok, that's good to know!

So, when you install games on the X1, when you come to play them, do you still need the physical disc in the disc drive as well , in order to play it, like you do with the 360?

Yes you do but everything works off of the hard disk.

Can be quite handy if you end up with EA Access and a physical game that you have goes into the vault, you then don't need to do anything as it just plays like a digital version and you can trade in the original disk if you want. That is what I did with Battlefield 4 and Plants V Zombies
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..cheers for them answers guys - appreciated!!!

Ok - so no massive problem if I have to buy GTA V again I suppose!

As for Minecraft - is the £4 version (for owning the original, on the 360) - a digital copy or a box version? The Minecraft I have on my 360, is the digital version - if I buy the digital version again, on the X1, will it know that I have already bought and owned the 360 version so it will offer it at a reduced price?

EDIT - looks like this link answers my question!!!!

Minecraft for £3.59

:)

I have the digital version of Minecraft on 360.
    When I got the Xbox One I just went to the store and searched for Minecraft.
    It came up on screen with the £19.99 prices crossed through and £3.59 next to it.
    It appears to have picked up that I'd owned the 360 version from my account details and automatically offered the reduced price.

Just in case you didn't know, if you transfer old saves to the One edition they don't increase the world size, they stay at their original size but you can still just carry on as normal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have the digital version of Minecraft on 360.
    When I got the Xbox One I just went to the store and searched for Minecraft.
    It came up on screen with the £19.99 prices crossed through and £3.59 next to it.
    It appears to have picked up that I'd owned the 360 version from my account details and automatically offered the reduced price.

Just in case you didn't know, if you transfer old saves to the One edition they don't increase the world size, they stay at their original size but you can still just carry on as normal.

...cheers for the above -very informative! I actually didn't know that about the Minecraft worlds so thanks for clarifying. I'm guessing the only difference then between the 360 and the X1 Minecraft game, is the world size then? NO graphical improvement?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...cheers for the above -very informative! I actually didn't know that about the Minecraft worlds so thanks for clarifying. I'm guessing the only difference then between the 360 and the X1 Minecraft game, is the world size then? NO graphical improvement?

It sounds weird considering Minecrafts graphics are very basic anyway but I think the One version does look better. It's a lot sharper and colours are brighter.

The draw distance is a lot longer too so you can see further into the distance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It sounds weird considering Minecrafts graphics are very basic anyway but I think the One version does look better. It's a lot sharper and colours are brighter.

The draw distance is a lot longer too so you can see further into the distance.

...perfect - cheers SaddlerSteve ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry :blush: - back again with some more noob questions!!!!

I was watching some reviews on IGN, of the Xbox One systems - one with Kinect and one without it. They were basically saying that Kinect is heavily integrated with the menus of the X1 and having the system without Kinect, is very clunky and not as smooth and fluid if you had the Kinect.

I'm not sure whether I will buying a package with or without Kinect yet (I have the Kinect for my 360 and if I am totally honest - I NEVER use it!!! The only time it is used is when the kids play on it!). What are your views? Do I need the Kinect - is it a necessity for the X1?

I am also not planning on routing my cable box (a Virgin Media TiVo) through the X1 as again, if I am totally honest, I don't see the point in having to turn on 3 devices (TV, X1 & TiVo) to just watch TV, when the Tv and TiVo, can do the same job, equally fine! I know that with the cable box routed through it, you can watch tv whilst playing games - but again, thats not something that I am actually gonna do + the fact that having to shout "Xbox ON" or "Xbox watch TV" isn't really something I wanna be doing all the time!!

Thoughts?
  • Options
    Tictac2Tictac2 Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    I've got kinect, I only use it for voice commands and the occasional skype. The menu's aren't clunky without it - I usually navigate round the screens using the controller. If you've no interest in Kinect games, get it without it. But if you think it'll get some use, get it with it as it's cheaper than buying it separately at a later date.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely not a necessity.
    As a Day One adopter I do have the Kinect bundle. It has never seen the light of day and still sits in the box, which resides in the loft. I don't feel that I'm missing out on anything by not having it connected. The snap feature (double tap of the XBOX button) has made it more functional without Kinect.
    Once you get used to the new UI you can fly around the menus with little effort.
  • Options
    deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tictac2 wrote: »
    I've got kinect, I only use it for voice commands and the occasional skype. The menu's aren't clunky without it - I usually navigate round the screens using the controller. If you've no interest in Kinect games, get it without it. But if you think it'll get some use, get it with it as it's cheaper than buying it separately at a later date.

I use it exactly the same way and don't find problems with the screens.
    I would imagine the reviews are from the original dashboard which was a little non user friendly but it is a lot better now with the monthly updates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...cheers for them views. For the record, the IGN reviews on YouTube were posted in November last year so not sure how far behind the dash was in the reviews.

I guess I'll probably look around at the prices for the various bundles (I am hoping I can still get an Assassins Creed bundle from somewhere - hopefully Amazon) and see what the differences in price are with and without the Kinect.
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    My kinect is now a very expensive door stop...

...well it isn't its back in the box, but you get the idea.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I rarely, ever use Kinect.

The main thing I would use it for is "Xbox, record that", but even that's not necessary now thanks to the updated Snap Centre (the Guide-like thing).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    .......sounds like most of you don't rate the Kinect at all then!!! I rarely used mine for the 360!!

I guess, without the Kinect, you also do not have your cable boxes routed through the X1 neither?! Is that yet another, wasted feature?!
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good piece of kit. It does what it's designed for. The problem is that there are no must haves for it if you don't have dance games or prefer the gym to Xbox fitness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good piece of kit. It does what it's designed for. The problem is that there are no must haves for it if you don't have dance games or prefer the gym to Xbox fitness.

This is pretty much it.
    You can navigate the UI with it but it's not that hard with the controller either.
    I find it handy for walking into a room and saying Xbox on if I'm going to be using Smartglass instead of the controller.

I also use the Xbox Fitness so I need the Kinect.
    I actually have both the Xbox 360 and Xbox One setup and the Kinect 1 and Kinect 2 on the top of the TV.
  • Options
    martytartymartytarty Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Also just because your xbone is new don't write off getting external HDD, yes 500gb is fine to start with but think about how much you may own in the next 12-24 months, I purchased a 2tb external HDD, 500gb might sound a lot but it's seriously not that big when you look at the size of some of these next gen games, it'll soon fill up.

Link to my external HDD....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passport-Ultra-Portable-Drive-Backup/dp/B00CSH1B4M
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is pretty much it.
    You can navigate the UI with it but it's not that hard with the controller either.
    I find it handy for walking into a room and saying Xbox on if I'm going to be using Smartglass instead of the controller.

I also use the Xbox Fitness so I need the Kinect.
    I actually have both the Xbox 360 and Xbox One setup and the Kinect 1 and Kinect 2 on the top of the TV.

I think the biggest inconvenience to not having Kinect is that to record a game clip you have to disrupt the gameplay for a few moments to record the clip by double pressing the xbox button and hitting x when you can just say "xbox record that" and hope the console will listen to you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    martytarty wrote: »
    Also just because your xbone is new don't write off getting external HDD, yes 500gb is fine to start with but think about how much you may own in the next 12-24 months, I purchased a 2tb external HDD, 500gb might sound a lot but it's seriously not that big when you look at the size of some of these next gen games, it'll soon fill up.

Link to my external HDD....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passport-Ultra-Portable-Drive-Backup/dp/B00CSH1B4M

Were not discarding getting an external HDD and I know if you choose the right one games will even load quicker but it's just that this probably not yet required for the OP and the money you would use to get one would let you buy another couple of games.

Edit; And when the OP does get to the point they require a HDD they will hopefully be even cheaper/bigger.
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry :blush: - back again with some more noob questions!!!!

I was watching some reviews on IGN, of the Xbox One systems - one with Kinect and one without it. They were basically saying that Kinect is heavily integrated with the menus of the X1 and having the system without Kinect, is very clunky and not as smooth and fluid if you had the Kinect.

I'm not sure whether I will buying a package with or without Kinect yet (I have the Kinect for my 360 and if I am totally honest - I NEVER use it!!! The only time it is used is when the kids play on it!). What are your views? Do I need the Kinect - is it a necessity for the X1?

I am also not planning on routing my cable box (a Virgin Media TiVo) through the X1 as again, if I am totally honest, I don't see the point in having to turn on 3 devices (TV, X1 & TiVo) to just watch TV, when the Tv and TiVo, can do the same job, equally fine! I know that with the cable box routed through it, you can watch tv whilst playing games - but again, thats not something that I am actually gonna do + the fact that having to shout "Xbox ON" or "Xbox watch TV" isn't really something I wanna be doing all the time!!

Thoughts?

Yeah,i used to have my Tivo routed through,but i soon took it out,as you say whats the point of having 3 things on just to watch TV also the electricity bill went up by a small but still significant sum(especially over 12 months)
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the subject of Hard drives,i ended up needing an external in under 12 month what with Games for Gold,Digital Installs and EA Access