British Sandwich Week 8 - 14 May 2016

maddie_brundretmaddie_brundret Posts: 349
Forum Member
My all time favourite sandwich is cheddar cheese and onion on white bread with sweet piccalli instead of butter with lots of salt.
I also enjoy cheddar cheese,little gem lettuce and beetroot on seeded brown bread

Not very adventureous all at.:D

Just a few interesting bits about sandwiches:

11.5 billion sandwiches are eaten in the UK each year, if placed end to end they would go round the world approx 44 times.
More than half of these are made and eaten at home.
Over 3,500,000,000 sandwiches are purchased from UK retail and catering outlets each year.
We paid over £7,850,000,000 that is as much as 36,500 brand new Ferraris(sp)
Average price per sandwich £2.07p each

There is more information on
www.britishsandwichweek.com

Comments

• dellzinchtdellzincht Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crisp or Banana sandwiches for me.

Occasionally a combination of the two :D
  • maddie_brundretmaddie_brundret Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    I love a salt and vinegar crisp sandwich.
    This is what I do.
    Place some S&V crisps on a plate and put in the Microwave for a few seconds until they are warm, take out of microwave and sprinkle with malt vinegar and then make your sandwich.
    Lovely.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    If it were British, it would be 9th–15th May.
    Forum Member
    If it were British, it would be 9th–15th May.

I do see where you are coming from but on the web site it states 8 -14 May 2016 and that is why I stated those dates.:)
  • flashfictionflashfiction Posts: 10,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love a salt and vinegar crisp sandwich.
    This is what I do.
    Place some S&V crisps on a plate and put in the Microwave for a few seconds until they are warm, take out of microwave and sprinkle with malt vinegar and then make your sandwich.
    Lovely.

I have never tried hot crisps! I like the cold version so I am going to try this when I have got some slice white & some Walkers.
    How did you invent this? As early humans learnt to use fire?:D

As it's supposedly hotter than Barcelona we need to be on the cucumber sandwich as that's what they prescribed for hot weather.
  • BeecosyBeecosy Posts: 2,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never tried hot crisps!

Wow we had hot crisps all the time at school for lunch. They would just stick them in the oven. Not sure why as they ended up more burnt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you remember the sugar sandwich though?

I remember some kids eating that although unfortunately we were never allowed that kind of thing.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    I know it's not British, but a Reuben takes some beating for me.

We invented sandwiches as a concept so I'm having it.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourites are ham, ham salad, bacon and sausage and, as mentioned above, a good crisp sandwich, although I've never tried them hot.

I also like a chip sandwich (or chip buttie as I usually call it) which my wife thinks is a crazy combination.
    Forum Member
    I have never tried hot crisps! I like the cold version so I am going to try this when I have got some slice white & some Walkers.
    How did you invent this? As early humans learnt to use fire?:D

As it's supposedly hotter than Barcelona we need to be on the cucumber sandwich as that's what they prescribed for hot weather.

I had it passed onto me by someone, can't remember who now.:(
    You are a cheeky monkey, but I like you as said by Dick Emery with a push in the shoulder.:D

I don't like cucumber sandwiches a bit to soggy for my taste.
    Forum Member

I remember some kids eating that although unfortunately we were never allowed that kind of thing.

My husband was born in the Potteries and as a child he had sliced orange and sugar on a sandwich.:o
    Also sauce on a sandwich..

Not my cup of tea.
    Forum Member
    I know it's not British, but a Reuben takes some beating for me.

We invented sandwiches as a concept so I'm having it.

I had never heard of a Reuben sounds Welsh, so I looked it up.
    Now a do like a toasty but not with corned beef :o I am the more cheese and baked bean type.:)
    Forum Member
    My favourites are ham, ham salad, bacon and sausage and, as mentioned above, a good crisp sandwich, although I've never tried them hot.

I also like a chip sandwich (or chip buttie as I usually call it) which my wife thinks is a crazy combination.

Love a chip butty with HP sauce,doesn't sound right being called a chip sandwich.:)
    Forum Member
    I had never heard of a Reuben sounds Welsh, so I looked it up.
    Now a do like a toasty but not with corned beef :o I am the more cheese and baked bean type.:)

The corned beef used is very different to what most of us would think of as corned beef.
    Forum Member
    The corned beef used is very different to what most of us would think of as corned beef.

Do tell please very interested.:)

Nosey question:D are you from over the pond.:)
  • MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're crap at sandwiches, look at those limp pathetic things supermarkets sell in cardboard containers.

Now Americans, they can do sandwiches.
    Forum Member
    Do tell please very interested.:)

It's hard to explain. In the U.S. it is brisket that is brined and then slow cooked, it's really different. This explains it a bit:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corned_beef#North_America
    Forum Member
    It's hard to explain. In the U.S. it is brisket that is brined and then slow cooked, it's really different. This explains it a bit:-

Cheers for that, much different from our corned beef.:D
  • MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sounds nicer to me.

Have read that this is the proper Irish corned beef but have also read that their corned beef is the same as ours, can an Irish poster enlighten me?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Moleskin wrote: »
    Sounds nicer to me.

Have read that this is the proper Irish corned beef but have also read that their corned beef is the same as ours, can an Irish poster enlighten me?

It the traditional Irish method.
    Pickled/cured brisket (or other beef joint). Can be poached and/or roasted.
    If smoked it's usually classed as pastrami.

If you catch Floyd on Britain and Ireland he makes it in an episode.

I have no idea how it went from that to what we get in tins/packets these days.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

Never understood the appeal of crisp or sugar or ketchup sandwiches.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »
    Sounds nicer to me.

You're right, Ireland has those two kinds of corned beef.

No one ever mistakes the two, as they are used for different things. :D

That said, if you are out with a non-Irish person in Ireland and they see corned beef and cabbage on a pub menu, they look at you as if the chef is a raving lunatic.
    Unless they are an Irish American person - they know the score
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband was born in the Potteries and as a child he had sliced orange and sugar on a sandwich.:o
    Also sauce on a sandwich..

Not my cup of tea.

Again another new one on me - you can't say any of these are cliches, well I find them interesting anyway .
    Sauce - I reckon that will be probably be HP

PS Re your other post - Yes! Pls bring back Dick Emery, where he is dressed as the lady with the bouffant with the handbag - "You are awful"- we were reminiscing about him recently.

My OH makes decent sandwiches with interesting fillings.
    I'm more chip buttie, chicken, ham & mustard, crisps yes, just tomatoes - so a bit dull.

I agree the US are probably better at sandwiches, and what about the Danes with their open sandwiches- think they know how to do it

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/smorrebrod-introduction-danish-sandwich.html
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oops, question already answered.

Anyway your classic British sandwich is

Bread
    HP Sauce
    Bacon
    Bread

Nothing more, nothing less.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree the US are probably better at sandwiches, and what about the Danes with their open sandwiches- think they know how to do it

Pick up a herring smørrebrød with your hands and the toppings are likely to slide off, dousing your shirt in a mess of dill and sliced red onion. Instead, gently attack it with a fork and knife—as Danes are trained to do from a young age.

Bah! If you have to eat it with a knife and fork it's not exactly a sandwich, is it? You wouldn't call a poached egg on toast a sandwich.