A problem with my dog

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
Forum Member
My dog is 2 now had him since he was a puppy, we have trained him to do his business outside but 2 years later he still does it in his bed or in the kitchen, he sleeps in his crate and we let him out before we go to bed and we let him come in when he is ready but when I come down in the morning he has done it, it's really annoying me now is there anyone who has had this problem and could give me some advice, thankyou. :)

Comments

• StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What time do you feed him in the evening?

What time is his evening walk and how long & does he do business on his walk?

It sounds partially habit - often resolved with a change of routine and partially that he can't hold it over night.

There could be other reasons - I get the impression from your post he has pretty much always done this, but if it is a new behaviour it is worth a vet check up. Is he a particularly stressed dog? What breed?

There is possibly more you can do - wash the bedding every time with a biological washing powder/liquid and clean the floor in the kitchen with a pet deoderisor that breaks down the bacteria that leave the scent (more useful with urine/marking but can't hurt with solids) and go back to toilet training 101 (out after every meal, after sleeping, after play, every 30 mins/hour and praise like made when he poops outside) but I think a longer, later evening walk (walking stimulates their bowels) and an earlier evening meal will do the trick.

Good luck.
  • rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The earlier evening meal and later, longer evening walk were exactly what I was going to suggest too :)
  • mrsmetropolismrsmetropolis Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What time do you feed him in the evening?

What time is his evening walk and how long & does he do business on his walk?

It sounds partially habit - often resolved with a change of routine and partially that he can't hold it over night.

There could be other reasons - I get the impression from your post he has pretty much always done this, but if it is a new behaviour it is worth a vet check up. Is he a particularly stressed dog? What breed?

There is possibly more you can do - wash the bedding every time with a biological washing powder/liquid and clean the floor in the kitchen with a pet deoderisor that breaks down the bacteria that leave the scent (more useful with urine/marking but can't hurt with solids) and go back to toilet training 101 (out after every meal, after sleeping, after play, every 30 mins/hour and praise like made when he poops outside) but I think a longer, later evening walk (walking stimulates their bowels) and an earlier evening meal will do the trick.

As always, good advice StressMonkey! :)