Options

So what's this Windows Presentation Foundation?

fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Firefox has just told me that it's disabled the .NET Framework Assistant and the Windows Presentation Foundation plugin as potential security risks. Firefox now feels like it's had a 10,000 mile service - smoother and faster.

So what's this Windows Presentation Foundation and where did it come from? I didn't install it.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fenlander wrote: »
    Firefox has just told me that it's disabled the .NET Framework Assistant and the Windows Presentation Foundation plugin as potential security risks. Firefox now feels like it's had a 10,000 mile service - smoother and faster.

So what's this Windows Presentation Foundation and where did it come from? I didn't install it.
    Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) is a graphical interface and is part of the .NET Framework which comes with Visual Studio. I just got the same message and I'm fairly sure that my copy of this came from installing Visual Studio C++ and/or C# express edition on my system.
    You might also get this installed as part of the whole ".NET Framework" which you probably have installed, or have had installed by an application.

Apparently these plugins contained security issues and Microsoft asked Firefox to disable them as the easiest way to block the potential problems.
  • Options
    fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that. I'm certainly not seeing any disadvantages to having disabled them.
  • Options
    Dragons_HeartbeatDragons_Heartbeat Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just removed the plug-in from Firefox myself but had to override a load of Windows Permission settings to get control of the folder where they are stored.
  • Options
    GaryBGaryB Posts: 4,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭