Options

New stars arising from the Games

MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
Forum Member
Well Ross Murdoch's shock Jamieson beating swim in the 200m breaststroke has to be the first. Any others yet?

Comments

• Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Scottish Renick judo sisters have made some fans, I reckon.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    There's a couple of Scottish Shooting sisters in the games. The eldest is already a superstar of her sport and has many medals.

There was a report on them the other day and the youngest could be as good or even better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    There's a couple of Scottish Shooting sisters in the games. The eldest is already a superstar of her sport and has many medals.

There was a report on them the other day and the youngest could be as good or even better.
    That guy who won that shooting gold in London is still getting plenty of TV work so yes possible for others to get a bit of mainstream fame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Scottish Renick judo sisters have made some fans, I reckon.
    Always helps having novelty value to add to your talent.
  • Options
    earlofbedlamearlofbedlam Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    Most of these "stars" from the Commonwealth Games probably wouldn't be in the top ten in any Olympics.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of these "stars" from the Commonwealth Games probably wouldn't be in the top ten in any Olympics.

That's true - just think how often our triathletes and cyclists get thrashed by the Bolivians, Czechs, Koreans and so on when it comes to the full Olympics.
  • Options
    blacksuit42blacksuit42 Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    Well Ross Murdoch's shock Jamieson beating swim in the 200m breaststroke has to be the first. Any others yet?
    I wouldn't say he's a new star.. he's been on the international scene for a while, but he's more a 100m breaststroker rather than 200m
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't say he's a new star.. he's been on the international scene for a while, but he's more a 100m breaststroker rather than 200m
    By star, I mean coming to the attention of a mainstream audience. A lot of people who didn't know him yesterday will recall his name easily today. It was like Becky Adlington before Beijing.
  • Options
    earlofbedlamearlofbedlam Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    That's true - just think how often our triathletes and cyclists get thrashed by the Bolivians, Czechs, Koreans and so on when it comes to the full Olympics.

You've handpicked a little there don't you think ?
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what? The question was about break-out stars of these games. Not who would win if it were the Olympics?:p
    By star, I mean coming to the attention of a mainstream audience. A lot of people who didn't know him yesterday will recall his name easily today. It was like Becky Adlington before Beijing.

Very true. It's nice to see some new names and minority sports getting attention.
  • Options
    alexjonesalexjones Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wrong thread sorry.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That may be right in some sports but not all.
    What I love about these games is the sheer number of competitors that can compete for UK but under their own home counties flag.
    It gives a chance for ones to experience a meet like this, as if competing for UK they would not get picked as usually it is then top two only.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dan Wallace now. In fact every Scottish swimming and athletics gold medallist is likely to get mega hype during and after the games.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think Adam Peaty has now become one of Britain's big name swimmers.
  • Options
    alexjonesalexjones Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zoe smith might have made a name for herself here.
  • Options
    dazcdazc Posts: 4,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how about proud the swimmer could do well in rio
  • Options
    Hairy_CaramelHairy_Caramel Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    dazc wrote: »
    how about proud the swimmer could do well in rio

Could do, but I really don't think the Commonwealth Games are a good judge of ability consider most of the big sporting nations are absent, as well as a lot of the job talent in the nations that are.

A Commonwealth Games medal is probably the best a lot of these can hope for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alexjones wrote: »
    Zoe smith might have made a name for herself here.
    I think she's already quite well known as "that pretty little weightlifter!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Could do, but I really don't think the Commonwealth Games are a good judge of ability consider most of the big sporting nations are absent, as well as a lot of the job talent in the nations that are.

A Commonwealth Games medal is probably the best a lot of these can hope for.
    Depends doesn't it. If say the Australians are known to be strong globally in an event and you beat them all in the CWG then you can safely say you're one of the best in the world. There might be a time barrier for world class in an event and if you go under it then again you're one of the best.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's how it usually is. Even at the Olympics, it was the athletes who already had a profile who were turned into big stars when they won.

At these Games, it's a good way for the middling well known stars from the Commonwealth Games to consolidate and enhance their profile.

The biggest British stars from the Olympics like Jess Ennis, Mo Farah, Andy Murray, Chris Hoy and Bradley Wiggins, were already very well known to the general public.

Break-out stars like Nicola Adams and Greg Rutherford are a couple of rungs below in terms of star power, but can give themselves a boost if they repeat their wins.

The Brownlee brothers came to the attention of the general public in London 2012, and have enjoyed a decent profile, but expectation of their continued success made the triathlon one of the highlights, and they and the other winning triathletes will come out of these Games as much bigger stars.
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She's incredible isn't she. I wonder what the body must do to make it physically possible for such a little lassie to lift weights about 4 - 5 times her own weight?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    An athlete who has been on panel shows and other interview is going to be fairly well known.
    She was because she broke into the limelight at 16 and then became more well known in 2012.

There are some swimmers and Judo people who might become more well known off the back of the games.

The young female shooter might have got a bit of a profile but she didn't manage a medal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Caleb Ndiku, the next great Kenyan 1500/5000m runner. Not your typical humble Kenyan distance runner and seems to have a personality in the Bolt mode. A lot of people missed him because they were watching the cycling but this guy might well have beaten a fully fit Mo Farah.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Caleb Ndiku, the next great Kenyan 1500/5000m runner. Not your typical humble Kenyan distance runner and seems to have a personality in the Bolt mode. A lot of people missed him because they were watching the cycling but this guy might well have beaten a fully fit Mo Farah.
    Just caught that.
    Was lucky to really as I thought the athletics started tomorrow :blush: