Never mind MPs, should we be paying £92,000 p.a for a BBC newsreader?

ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    And I'm inclined to agree with you. Do they actually write any of the stuff themselves, or simply read it aloud? Still, all the women are well above average in the looks department, and that's so important when it comes to informing the public, isn't it?
  • tim1964tim1964 Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The point here is that the newsreader earns what she does because she applied for the job and that was what the contract pays.

What she doesn't do (I guess of course) is claim extra payments that, although legal, seem to be very near the line of what could be considered moral.

The old chestnut of a footballer's pay of £100,000 A WEEK! IMO is ridiculous seeing as they earn more than a surgeon but then there is nothing stopping the surgeon from practising his football skills and getting to play for a premier league team.

This MP may regret his actions as the press will turn on him and his ilk even more so now.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrap the BBC.

Match of the Day is their only decent programme.

The rest is rubbish.
  • The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    And I'm inclined to agree with you. Do they actually write any of the stuff themselves, or simply read it aloud? Still, all the women are well above average in the looks department, and that's so important when it comes to informing the public, isn't it?

They write the stuff themselves, do journalism work, and the particular journalist in question acts as a translater in several different languages.

Broadcast journalism is difficult, highly skilled work which requires a lot of experience and training to actually do, which is why the average commercial salary for a national presenter of this kind would be more than £92k.

Phazer
  • warmleatherettewarmleatherette Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Phazer wrote: »

Broadcast journalism is difficult, highly skilled work which requires a lot of experience and training to actually do, which is why the average commercial salary for a national presenter of this kind would be more than £92k.

Phazer

Makes you wonder why "running the country" is so badly paid?
  • Triple-PTriple-P Posts: 2,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you dont have to buy a tv license. its not a tax its optional.

and commenting on a person wage if its not payed by tax payers is disrespectful.
  • WillowFaeWillowFae Posts: 5,225
    Forum Member
    cosmo wrote: »
    Scrap the BBC.

Match of the Day is their only decent programme.

The rest is rubbish.

And oddly enough I think Match of the Day is one of the rubbish programmes on the BBC with plenty more good ones.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The guy she was interviewing was embroiled in the cash for questions/access scandal not long ago.

http://www.studentnewspaper.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=351:foulkes-in-cash-for-access-controversy&catid=34:news&Itemid=54
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim1964 wrote: »
    The point here is that the newsreader earns what she does because she applied for the job and that was what the contract pays.

What she doesn't do (I guess of course) is claim extra payments that, although legal, seem to be very near the line of what could be considered moral.

The old chestnut of a footballer's pay of £100,000 A WEEK! IMO is ridiculous seeing as they earn more than a surgeon but then there is nothing stopping the surgeon from practising his football skills and getting to play for a premier league team.

This MP may regret his actions as the press will turn on him and his ilk even more so now.

Exactly. It is two separate issues. One being are people paid a reasonable sum for the work they do? You can ask if £92k is a reasonable sum to pay a news broadcaster. But that is a totally different question to the second issue which is should people be able to claim for certain expenses on top of the wage they are getting?

So for example nurses do not get a reasonable sum for their work whereas some council bosses are paid way too much for what they do.

MPs expenses are not the same issue
  • The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    The Phazer wrote: »
    They write the stuff themselves, do journalism work, and the particular journalist in question acts as a translater in several different languages.

Phazer

Weird that no unattractive women seem to have any of these skills, isn't it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really see much wrong with it. I'm not sure about this particular newsreader, but in general, people who become newsreaders have been senior reporters and have worked their way up through the ranks, so to speak. If you start as a junior reporter on a lowish wage and gradually work your way through to becoming a senior newsreader, I can't see anything wrong with that.

I also imagine that there are quite a few newsreaders on more than her. I bet Fiona Bruce earns a fair old wedge for a start. What about Paxman? or Peter Sissons?

You've also got to take into account the market. If Sky or ITV are paying such and such, the Beeb have to pay similar to compete in the market. It's all about market rates.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weird that no unattractive women seem to have any of these skills, isn't it?

Don't you watch the BBC news channel:D:D

Anyway the maths are bit out 92k is not double what an MP earns.

She is getting paid what the BBC consider to be a reasonable salary.

MPs fiddling expenses are quite different. I know it's within the rules
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MP's start at ~£65k a year

a lot of them arnt really working away from home
    (hello all those within 100miles of london!)

no overseas postings

once elected, unless theres a snap general election, theyve got guaranteed earnings, plus pension payments, for 4+ years

they then go & sit on company boards, as all those firms feel the need to have an MP or ex-MP on their boards
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hhahahahha was I the only one that thought that interview was totally amazing :D

She is clearly SO hacked off and so is he :D
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £92,000 for reading an autocue and waffle on about bad news.

:eek:
    /|\

I'm in the wrong profession. ;)
    Forum Member

We pay peanuts and get monkeys.

One suspects it would be a lot better to pay MP's considerably more and bar them from any corporate work while sitting as an MP, registered or not.

Phazer
  • tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ustarion wrote: »
    I've got to agree with you. It takes a modicum of skill, but if you can speak RP English and are not embarrassed by speaking in public you could do the job. I'd say it's a fair certainty that the difficulty in finding competent replacements is roughly zero. I'm sure that suitable people would queue up for the job at a much lower salary.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

MPs do not "run the country" - civil servants do. MPs are an executive - a conduit between the state's stakeholders and the real workers within Government. Think of them as glorified PR agents.

"Yes, Minister" and "Yes, Prime Minister" were shockingly close to how Westminster runs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly don't know what the going rate for a newsreader is. Give me 50K, keep me tanked up like Reggie Bosenquet and i'll have a bash!

As long as I get my West Bank's and Kent Countryside's right I should be ok :D
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    tanstaafl wrote: »
    I've got to agree with you. It takes a modicum of skill, but if you can speak RP English and are not embarrassed by speaking in public you could do the job. I'd say it's a fair certainty that the difficulty in finding competent replacements is roughly zero. I'm sure that suitable people would queue up for the job at a much lower salary.

As others have said, news presenters are time-honoured journalists. They decide on the content and make editorial decisions on the fly as timing restrictions change. They need to be well versed in the topic (for interviews etc.) and they write some of the stuff that goes on the autocues.
  • warmleatherettewarmleatherette Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    MPs do not "run the country" - civil servants do. MPs are an executive - a conduit between the state's stakeholders and the real workers within Government. Think of them as glorified PR agents.

"Yes, Minister" and "Yes, Prime Minister" were shockingly close to how Westminster runs.

Regardless of how it runs when an "executive/ MP" is paid less than an average Tesco store manager you just know somethings not right with the system, is it any wonder they try to top up their crap salary with expenses?

These people are meant to be the face of British politics and get the money of a grocer.....
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This good work that MPs apparently do, which Lord Foulkes spoke about, anyone know what it is, other than feathering their own nests.
  • ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    As others have said, news presenters are time-honoured journalists. They decide on the content and make editorial decisions on the fly as timing restrictions change. They need to be well versed in the topic (for interviews etc.) and they write some of the stuff that goes on the autocues.

She does three days a week and is on-air for three hours. She probably is in work for about six hours. I'm not sure that is worth 92k a year.
    Forum Member
    tanstaafl wrote: »
    I've got to agree with you. It takes a modicum of skill, but if you can speak RP English and are not embarrassed by speaking in public you could do the job.

No you couldn't.

Being a broadcast journalist is hard work, and requires a plethora of skills and qualifications, considerable legal knowledge and experience in investigative journalism.

Phazer
  • ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Triple-P wrote: »
    you dont have to buy a tv license. its not a tax its optional.

and commenting on a person wage if its not payed by tax payers is disrespectful.

In that case car tax, shouldn't be called that because you don't have to drive a car. What you've just written is a load of rubbish.