Options

Is Sharon as popular as EE producers think?

SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
Forum Member
I have never liked her as a character. I find she lacks warmth and I don't think Letitia Dean is that good an actress.
Her storylines have usually bored me, especially her relationship with Dennis, whom I also found boring.

I haven't enjoyed her comeback storyline at all, and think her horribly named son Denny is a little brat in the making what with that floppy hair.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharon will always be one of those legendery characters just because she is an original. In truth I have never rated Letitia Dean either, she is the mistress of the naff facial expression and very method in her acting, but I see why she is popular with die hard EE fans. I imagine in 2 years time we will be talking about her exit storyline again!
  • Options
    sarahcadhillsarahcadhill Posts: 2,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny how when Sharon's return was first revealed, the majority of Digitalspy people were over the moon and so pleased but recently, it seems that a lot of people are not pleased that Sharon's back.
  • Options
    sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think soaps have a habit of killing off the wrong people so they can never come back, which is a shame. The best characters are mostly always killed off
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I have never really liked Sharon, all peroxide hair, heaving bosom and sultry lips even when she was a teenager. Sharon is a cliché. Letitia Dean also seems to play Sharon badly whether that's intentional or not I don't know but when she has been in other things she seems okay. She seems to over dramatise Sharon to the point she is almost cartoon like. I know others like her and I can understand why.

It was also rather contrived her comeback, just to mess with Shirley. Her comeback would have been better after the reveal and not straight to Phil Mitchell either, had she come back to help Ian that would have been a more believable reason than forgetting your child after you jilted your husband to be at the alter and running off to find Phil Mitchell before getting said child.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,005
    Forum Member
    I have read about comparisons that Sharon is supposed to be considered "soft" to Shirley's tough look but I do not see any softness in Sharon, she just looks hardfaced to me.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Nope.
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    I like her but obviously not many as her return didn't fare too well in the ratings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsmeow wrote: »
    I have read about comparisons that Sharon is supposed to be considered "soft" to Shirley's tough look but I do not see any softness in Sharon, she just looks hardfaced to me.

Ok, bearing in mind she's only been back two days and so far has jilted her husband at the altar, watched her son be kidnapped, chase after him and nearly see him get killed by a lorry - not really much of an opportunity there for happiness and smiles:)

I like Sharon and I'm glad she's back. I do really like her character and I do think viewers relate to her and feel for her, maybe it is because she's an original, maybe it's because she's a link to the good old days of Den, Angie, Pauline, Arthur, Kathy, Pete, Michelle, but im finding it interesting to see who she will become friends with now. The square has changed alot in 6 years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    am happy Sharon is back but the timing is terrible .
  • Options
    MarcoRossiMarcoRossi Posts: 1,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, bearing in mind she's only been back two days and so far has jilted her husband at the altar, watched her son be kidnapped, chase after him and nearly see him get killed by a lorry - not really much of an opportunity there for happiness and smiles:)

I like Sharon and I'm glad she's back. I do really like her character and I do think viewers relate to her and feel for her, maybe it is because she's an original, maybe it's because she's a link to the good old days of Den, Angie, Pauline, Arthur, Kathy, Pete, Michelle, but im finding it interesting to see who she will become friends with now. The square has changed alot in 6 years.

BIB1: I see what you mean but I also see what catsmeow means - Sharon has never been the dainty soft featured girl, but rather with prominent at times masculine feel to her face. Not syaing it as a bad thing though. What I did find a bit insulting is when Sharon said to Phil that Shirley doesn't seem to be his usual type, thereby implying that she is somewheat a better looker than Shirley - I so wished Phil said something to defend Shirley at that point.

BIB2: possibly many do. But I also know that many don't. I would find it impossible to relate or feel for a woman (or man) that has always relied on someone else to provide for her, to set her up with a nice cushy business where she can swan around on her moral highground, a woman that has done so badly that she hasn't got a penny to her name to provide for her son, a woman that is generally selfish and manipulative and only invests in things/people that may be of direct interest for her. And I also don't particularly see her as the link to the old cast, because IMO she was always the weakest link in terms of acting ability and watchability factor. So as far as I see it, it was a completely pointless move to bring her back, and the sooner she goes off again to make another pointless fitness DVD the better :D
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Sharon when she was it in previously and yes here comes the HUGE BUT..... but I fear this time round that they might ruin her character.

She's always been a strong successful woman and now it seems as though she is down and out
  • Options
    Forum Member

No, but from what I saw Sharon hardly looked like the poor defenceless victim when she first arrived at the venue with Phil. Phil was just standing around not doing anything and looking like part of the scenery and Sharon seemed perfectly capable of holding her own in the argument. Why was Phil there exactly again?
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a great Sharon fan - but I remember her fondly from the early days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, but from what I saw Sharon hardly looked like the poor defenceless victim when she first arrived at the venue with Phil. Phil was just standing around not doing anything and looking like part of the scenery and Sharon seemed perfectly capable of holding her own in the argument. Why was Phil there exactly again?

I thought it was because she had nowhere to go. When he asked where he could drop her it became obvious that he was stuck with her so he had to take her back with him.

She had no money of her own and no home so she expected Phil to take her in.
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She should be confined to the past and only brought back for a VALID reason not to up the ratings and try and repair terrible damage inflicted by crap Bosses. In 2009 she was living the high life in the states, in 2011/12 shes found by Marcus Tandy in the stag with her baps out.

Another Historical character about to be ruined past all ruination.
  • Options
    gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    I think Sharon is a great character.

But as there are so many strong female characters on the show nowadays it seems as though her character has weakened which is not true.

The writers need to use her properly and not pair her up with Jack for the long term.

She becomes manager at the RNR so that would be great to see her interacting with a lot of characters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    vald wrote: »
    I thought it was because she had nowhere to go. When he asked where he could drop her it became obvious that he was stuck with her so he had to take her back with him.

She had no money of her own and no home so she expected Phil to take her in.

I don't believe she has only been back for two weeks for a start. And even if she had, she only spent her whole life in London before that, how can she only know Phil?
  • Options
    FallingPianoFallingPiano Posts: 962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tenchgirl wrote: »

Another Historical character about to be ruined past all ruination.

And where's your evidence that she is definitely going to be ruined? From only three episodes this week? Lets give her a bit more time shall we, especially now that she's back under the control of someone who has worked on the show nearly 20 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't believe she has only been back for two weeks for a start. And even if she had, she only spent her whole life in London before that, how can she only know Phil?

She's been back for 4 years but was obviously living a sordid life before that guy took her in and didn't want to go back to it.
  • Options
    demented yoyodemented yoyo Posts: 4,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

bib - In all honesty, I think that might be why there are so many negative threads about her just now :o

A lot of people won't remember her, or her history with other characters, and instead of treating her like a new character as they would with anyone else who appears in Walford and apparently has a history with people we've already got to know (Michael, Jack & Max spring to mind) it's easier to decide they don't like her.
  • Options
    IzzieStarIzzieStar Posts: 21,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that something that I am starting to realise about Sharon's return is that it was her relationship with Dennis which made me like her so much; I loved the storyline (it is my favourite ever soap storyline) and assumed that I loved the characters too.

Since Sharon has been back though, I've been a little underwhelmed. I don't know if it's the writing, but I haven't particularly enjoyed her as a character.

I'm hoping that now the whole 'wedding/kidnap/crazy ex/crazy sister' drama is over, and she's back in the Square, helping Ian etc. that I will be proved wrong.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is definitely popular but she's coming back at a time of change which has hurt her return. It was silly to think her return would recoup all the viewers that have stopped watching over the past few years.
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And where's your evidence that she is definitely going to be ruined? From only three episodes this week? Lets give her a bit more time shall we, especially now that she's back under the control of someone who has worked on the show nearly 20 years.

And where's your evidence that she is definitely going to be ruined?

Dean has given interview saying sharon's been back 4 years, only one problem with that, 4 years ago she was in the states living the high life when Ian went out for her 40th burfday bash.
    Some of us who have been alive for more than 5 mins remember things like this.:rolleyes:

Lets give her a bit more time shall we, especially now that she's back under the control of someone who has worked on the show nearly 20 years.

You go ahead n fill your boots, When such a glaring mistake is made in the opening arrival hype, 20 years of experience was obviously not long enough.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    bib - In all honesty, I think that might be why there are so many negative threads about her just now :o

A lot of people won't remember her, or her history with other characters, and instead of treating her like a new character as they would with anyone else who appears in Walford and apparently has a history with people we've already got to know (Michael, Jack & Max spring to mind) it's easier to decide they don't like her.

Why do people make sweeping assumptions when people say they don't like a returning character. I have seen Sharon in all her stints from day one and to be honest she was not the best character not by a mile, she is just the one that returns when she feels like it. They have also only brought her back to try and boost ratings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    vald wrote: »
    She's been back for 4 years but was obviously living a sordid life before that guy took her in and didn't want to go back to it.

So then if she has been back for 4 years why not turn to Phil then, before being so desperate she had to turn to a sordid life?