Options

Dean(o) and his grandad

Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,630
Forum Member
✭✭
Stan mentioned Dean casually paid him a visit but how is it that Dean even knew who his grandad was never mind where to find him? Shirley said she hadn't seen her dad in 25 years and also she walked out on Dean when he was a baby (he didn't even recognise her when he met her in 2006). Carly and Dean were supposedly raised solely by Kevin yet Dean has somehow managed to pop in and have a chat with his estranged mothers estranged father :confused: The Carter's backstory is a mess.

Comments

• Options
    Paul_Palmer89Paul_Palmer89 Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe he tracked him down......
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stan mentioned Dean casually paid him a visit but how is it that Dean even knew who his grandad was never mind where to find him? Shirley said she hadn't seen her dad in 25 years and also she walked out on Dean when he was a baby (he didn't even recognise her when he met her in 2006). Carly and Dean were supposedly raised solely by Kevin yet Dean has somehow managed to pop in and have a chat with his estranged mothers estranged father :confused: The Carter's backstory is a mess.

dont let DTC hear you saying that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe he tracked him down......

But how? Dean would know nothing about him. He has had no contact with his mum's family his whole life apart from the brief 1 year period him and Shirley both lived on the Square but even then they were never close. It's obvious Shirley never gave him her dad's address either. The story we were given in 2006 was that Shirley had walked out on and abandon her kids and Kevin had raised them on his own with no help from anyone. Not only that but it would also seem that Shirley herself had no contact with her father at this time as well.
  • Options
    SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If were honest its just a way to bring him back into the show. Maybe he asked Carli. Also guess it not be hard to find him if he knew details of who he is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    dont let DTC hear you saying that!

:D

He's done great the Carter's really are a fantastic family i just wish the details about the back-story were more clear.
  • Options
    SMIDSYmk2SMIDSYmk2 Posts: 7,810
    Forum Member
    Theres still more.
    Shirley abandoned Kevin and co in 1989 same year as her and Stan stopped talking, id assume because of the abandonment, and Shirley burned down Micks old pub between 1997-1998 (Linda said Shirley burned it down 15 years ago just before Christmas), so 9 years from the abandonment and fire where did Shirley go?
    And why didn't Mick, Linda or Tina (who obviously knew about the fire and the cause) ever think to tell Kevin about Shirley location, he didn't have to care but it would be something he might want to have know, they would've obviously knew each other and of Shirley's abandonment, again i assume Deano wont turn up in Walford and ask "Who on earth is cousin Lee, Zsa Zsa, Nancy and Johnny or Aunt Tina and Linda or Uncle Mick.

Also 10 Minutes away? really? Tina wouldve told Stan that Shirley is living so close and is in contact with her children again, id think having not seen them in years he wouldve gone for a visit.
  • Options
    Seymour ButtsSeymour Butts Posts: 3,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It always happens when soaps invent new family. The backstory never really adds up
  • Options
    SMIDSYmk2SMIDSYmk2 Posts: 7,810
    Forum Member
    It always happens when soaps invent new family. The backstory never really adds up

True Mitchells and Ahmeds are prime examples of this in EE
  • Options
    summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    It's unlikely but by NO means impossible that he was able to track him down at some point in the past.
  • Options
    SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SMIDSYmk2 wrote: »
    Theres still more.
    Shirley abandoned Kevin and co in 1989 same year as her and Stan stopped talking, id assume because of the abandonment, and Shirley burned down Micks old pub between 1997-1998 (Linda said Shirley burned it down 15 years ago just before Christmas), so 9 years from the abandonment and fire where did Shirley go?
    And why didn't Mick, Linda or Tina (who obviously knew about the fire and the cause) ever think to tell Kevin about Shirley location, he didn't have to care but it would be something he might want to have know, they would've obviously knew each other and of Shirley's abandonment, again i assume Deano wont turn up in Walford and ask "Who on earth is cousin Lee, Zsa Zsa, Nancy and Johnny or Aunt Tina and Linda or Uncle Mick.

Also 10 Minutes away? really? Tina wouldve told Stan that Shirley is living so close and is in contact with her children again, id think having not seen them in years he wouldve gone for a visit.

I think he knew where she lived. I mean he'd have asked Dean "you heard from your mum" etc. Dean would have said yeah she lives in Walford etc.

Same way as Shirley knew where he lived she just did not want to face him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would have been more credible for Carly to have given Shirley Dean's number, considering that she and Carly are now in touch and have a relationship.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would have been more credible for Carly to have given Shirley Dean's number, considering that she and Carly are now in touch and have a relationship.

Unless Dean(o) explicitly told Carly that he didn't want Shirley to contact him. Carly was close to her brother and would most likely have respected his wishes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, they could've said Dean wanted to be in touch with Shirley, or even that he was going through a tough time and Carly wanted Shirley to rebuild a relationship with him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, they could've said Dean wanted to be in touch with Shirley, or even that he was going through a tough time and Carly wanted Shirley to rebuild a relationship with him.

They could have, but given that Carly's appearance was brief and the fact that Deano wanting to get in touch with Shirley would have been far too contrived, I don't think it would have had much of an impact.

With Stan, her father whose past with her and her siblings is as of yet unresolved, it's him lashing out at her and reminding her of her failures that has a bigger impact. Therefore, him saying "you're just like your mother, abandoning your kids...here's your son's nomber, get in touch with him for goodness' sake!" would bound to unsettle her, and perhaps push her to reach out to Dean.
  • Options
    mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe there'll be some explanation. Maybe Carly was in touch with Stan and she put them in touch. I can't imagine they'd run with Shirley having no contact with her Dad for 25 years and then undermine it with a basic inconsistency.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not so sure. Carly was obviously covering for Deano when she told Shirley that he was living in Australia. That's why Shirley thought he was abroad.

Deano most likely told Carly not to tell Shirley where he is. They weren't counting on Shirley and Stan talking, but now that they have, Shirley has found out that Deano is still in the country.
  • Options
    summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    There's plenty of possible explanations for it. Just because it wasn't spoon fed to us onscreen doesn't make it a plot hole.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeh I'm sure we'll find out more about what Dean's been up to and how he met Stan when he arrives :)
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,315
    Forum Member
    But how? Dean would know nothing about him. He has had no contact with his mum's family his whole life apart from the brief 1 year period him and Shirley both lived on the Square but even then they were never close. It's obvious Shirley never gave him her dad's address either. The story we were given in 2006 was that Shirley had walked out on and abandon her kids and Kevin had raised them on his own with no help from anyone. Not only that but it would also seem that Shirley herself had no contact with her father at this time as well.

We don't know for sure he had no contact with Shirley's family when a child, teenager. He had no contact with Shirley but then Shirley had no contact with Stan. Kevin might have known Stan, even liked him and kept in touch during those years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    We don't know for sure he had no contact with Shirley's family when a child, teenager. He had no contact with Shirley but then Shirley had no contact with Stan. Kevin might have known Stan, even liked him and kept in touch during those years.

Exactly this.
  • Options
    The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No fan of retconning, but I think it'd be a pretty simple affair for Dean to track down his still living grandfather in this day and age

Perhaps Kevin took the kids round to their grandad?
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No fan of retconning, but I think it'd be a pretty simple affair for Dean to track down his still living grandfather in this day and age

Perhaps Kevin took the kids round to their grandad?

I agree. It seems as though Kevin would have known about Stan (with the timings/dates we've heard of) so it's not beyond possibility.
  • Options
    writer_composerwriter_composer Posts: 1,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D

He's done great the Carter's really are a fantastic family i just wish the details about the back-story were more clear.

Dean has only been mentioned once! They would never explain a full backstory in that short space of time or without Dean even being onscreen yet, might take months.

And also, it's been years we haven't seen Dean, in normal life people do track down their family..www.ancestry.co.uk...regardless to whether we never saw Shirley say to Dean "my father's name is Stan Carter and he lives..." etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was implied that Stan was living in the family home (Mick's height on the doorframe) so presumably Dean would know where that was.
  • Options
    felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    It's hardly incomprehensible to think that Kevin maintained some kind of contact with the Carter family after Shirley's abandonment of the kids. It's also hardly incomprehensible to think that her family would have wanted to maintain contact with their young relatives. Just because Shirley walked out on them it doesn't mean they'd automatically cut all contact. If one of my sisters for some reason (touch wood) walked out on their kids and disappeared, my parents and the rest of the family would still be involved in their lives because they are exactly that - family. It's not at all unlikely that they carried on a relationship and I don't really see how anybody can find it difficult to fathom.