Options

no picture on v+box

goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,178
Forum Member
✭✭✭
i had my v+box installed today and was enjoying the prgramming but after putting it on standby there is now no picture or sound whatsoever. I know it is something to do with the fact i didnt have a hdmi to dvi converter for my hd tv (i have one now - just bought it) and it could be that the box is set to hdmi when i know it shouldnt be but i have no way of finding that out. On the V+ manual it says you will get no picture if it is wrongly set to hd, but now that this seems to be the case, what can i do? I have tried resetting it about a million times already with no effect.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    i had my v+box installed today and was enjoying the prgramming but after putting it on standby there is now no picture or sound whatsoever. I know it is something to do with the fact i didnt have a hdmi to dvi converter for my hd tv (i have one now - just bought it) and it could be that the box is set to hdmi when i know it shouldnt be but i have no way of finding that out. On the V+ manual it says you will get no picture if it is wrongly set to hd, but now that this seems to be the case, what can i do? I have tried resetting it about a million times already with no effect.

Erm, try the hd lead. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no thats not the problem ive put the hd lead in now after buying the hdmi to dvi converter but it still wont work
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    If you have selected the hdmi output without a lead there's a good chance you have put the box in hdmi lock out.Have you lost the pics on the scart as well then??
    CS should be able to talk you through the unlocking of the box back to standard definition(if you get a clever rep) then connect and try again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok thanks very much i will try cs
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    When you convert to HDMI, you have to switch to the HDMI input on your telly, then press "text" on the virgin remote to confirm - or the V+ box will go back to default SCART.

If you did this despite not seeing and HDMI picture, then you need to phone CS to get the box reset.

If the box is showing flickering 8888 on the display, then it is broken and needs to be replaced (my first box did this).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    no thats not the problem ive put the hd lead in now after buying the hdmi to dvi converter but it still wont work

I have had three HD boxes so far an thay all do this. All you can do is keep rebooting and after 3-6 times you will get your picture back! You can usually tell if you are in with a chance if you get the boot screen on your HD telly. I am afraid Tlewests/Virgins testing of HDMI compatibility is very poor, and don't mation there engineers!

Cheers
    Warby
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    If u didnt have the HDMI to DVI converter, the box will have been in scart mode

If you've switched to HD without your leads inserted and pressed TEXT to confirm, your box will stay in HD Mode.

l think there is a front panel way to get back to SD mode.

The HDMI signal is lost on certain tvs, as the time period for hand-shaking, isnt quite right
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    The same has happened to me last night!!!!

I put on my V+ box and went to TVdrive to watch some pre-recorded program, within 2 mins of it playing the picture went off and i could hear the sound, so i rebooted the box and now have no picture or sound.

I can see the EPG, and when i switch it off and on the picture appears for a couple of seconds then goes again with no sound!

tried rebooting several times and nothing, unplugged it from the power and still nothing.

now i am getting an engineer out on Saturday, but i am not holding out alot of hope.

if anyone can offer me some help it would be appreciated.

Many Thanks!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    you can reset the settings by pressing reset.then press and hold the play pause and stop button until you get hdmi or std being scart on the front panel.use the fast forward or rewind button to scroll through choose strd press ok should reboot after a short while and come on as scart.hope this helps
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    leeiom wrote:
    The same has happened to me last night!!!!

I put on my V+ box and went to TVdrive to watch some pre-recorded program, within 2 mins of it playing the picture went off and i could hear the sound, so i rebooted the box and now have no picture or sound.

I can see the EPG, and when i switch it off and on the picture appears for a couple of seconds then goes again with no sound!

tried rebooting several times and nothing, unplugged it from the power and still nothing.

now i am getting an engineer out on Saturday, but i am not holding out alot of hope.

if anyone can offer me some help it would be appreciated.

Many Thanks!

Mine went blank, then on, then blank repeatedly this morning, even when playing a recorded programme.
    A reset fixed it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    @leeiom

try resetting it back to sd (scart) by front panel detailed by harrymunk

this will give u pics back through the scart, then switch over to HDMI, if necessary

PS - what tv are u using?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    problem is sorted for me i had my tv on the wrong extension. When i changed the mode to hdmi i was still going on to the extension for the scart lead. Upon switching the tv to hd it is now fine. Thanks for everyones help!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    i was watching channel 4 news tonight and the HDMI output just died. I reset and checked leads, unplugged and everything. Nothing. I rang customer services (got through to their India call centre) and they didn't suggest the pause+stop button solution. they told me that there was a problem with the line and it needed a technician. I insisted that infact it was clearly just that the HDMI had died, and if there was a key sequence i could press upon reboot that would reset the settings or let me change the output setting that would do the trick. But no. They arranged a technician for monday. Today is Thursday! I log into this forum, and in 2 mins I've found the solution. How come they dont have this on their solution database?