Options

Does Your Cat Watch Telly?

Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was just watching Nature's Great Events on BBC1 and was wondering if any of your cats do the same as mine...normally he has absolutely zero interest into whatever is on tv, apart from

- tennis (he'll watch it for 5 minutes, then lose interest and walk off or start washing his fur)

- nature documentaries (a source of endless fascination; he'll be glued to the screen and sometimes he'll even check the back of the screen to see where a particular bird/lion/meerkat has gone :D)

Do your cats watch telly, and if so, what kind of programme?

Comments

• Options
    sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    We had a little stray come in one Saturday afternoon, watched the horse racing then buggered off. We reckoned she had a bet on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes he watches Eastenders and Hollyoaks...and when he was a kitten he would go up to the telly and chase anything that moved :D
  • Options
    Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes he watches Eastenders and Hollyoaks...and when he was a kitten he would go up to the telly and chase anything that moved :D

:eek:

Dearie me...have a word with him, will you :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat was watching a bit of telly when an advert came on for cat food. She got up and went to her dish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine follows the players on the football and tries to catch them with her paw
  • Options
    B3atenB3aten Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derek watches nature programmes and Top Gear :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my little girl rather likes the rings on gems tv she often tries to swipe them off the presenters hand:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cats all like watching the tv but they seem to each have particular preferences.
    One of them loves nature programmes. I once left him watching Life Of Insects on one of the nature channels and returned two hours later to find him still watching!
    Another loves watching tennis and tries to catch the ball.
    My other one likes watching football
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another footy lover here!!

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u235/NewJackCity_01/Picture765.jpg

She also enjoys the Attenborough Programme too!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Macey quite likes snooker, but only if she looks at the screen when a ball is actually being potted. That seems to catch her eye then she sits with her head to one side, looking like she is trying to work out the rules.

If no one pots a ball for a while she loses interest. Its as if she wonders where tha balls go once they're potted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    Simba watches CSI Miami with me. I now call him Simba Horatio. He's ginger too LOL.
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sadoldbird wrote: »
    We had a little stray come in one Saturday afternoon, watched the horse racing then buggered off. We reckoned she had a bet on.

lol thats funny.

My jack has never really paid much attention to the telly, though I might start trying to get him into it now though :)

He occasionally sits in front of my monitor and chases my mouse pointer about, but thats just cuz he knows that'll make me pay attention to him :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sillyhead watching Autumnwatch and chattering

And this is brilliant - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxncjQPaAck&NR=1
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Yep, I put the National Geographic channel on for them and they like the Lion Man aswell. One cat seems to be able to see the tv better than the other and he watches intently. He also likes Meerkat Manor and anything with monkeys. I also sometimes put on a dvd of them as kittens which they both watch intently. Quite funny really as when their brother or sister is on they look from the tv to the other as if to figure out how they are in two places at once. Oh, and one loves the painting programmes on 167 and often takes a swipe at the brush.

My old cat had a thing for shirley bassey (no lie) and whenever she was on singing, he would sit right in front of the tv. Weird....as it happened without fail. And he never bothered with anything else on tv.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Mine follows the players on the football and tries to catch them with her paw

yes my cat does this too...its really funny watching him, but scary at the same time because my LCD tv has a plastic screen and I don't want it scratching......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    B3aten wrote: »
    Sillyhead watching Autumnwatch and chattering

And this is brilliant - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxncjQPaAck&NR=1

weird, my cat does this too...usually if he's watching the birds through the window, before I let him out..and he's the same with flies and moths
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    I got rather worried when one of my cats watched all of Liza Minelli performing New York, New York. He seems to be a tad theatrical!
  • Options
    Granny WeatherwaxGranny Weatherwax Posts: 52,923
    Forum Member
    When I was younger we used to have a cat that loved to watch the snooker, and try to bat the balls as they were rolling. Used to drive my Dad nuts, all you hear from the lounge was him yelling at the cat to get out the way as he couldn't see the tv. :D
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither cat has ever shown any interest in anything on TV, including other animals.

We thought that maybe cats were too intelligent or that for some reason the screen wasn't displaying light in their vision range!

Because my grandads dog barks whenever he sees an animal on TV :rolleyes:
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    My Penny does sometimes, especially if there's a wildlife programme on with lions, she seems to be very interested in them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Neither cat has ever shown any interest in anything on TV, including other animals.

We thought that maybe cats were too intelligent or that for some reason the screen wasn't displaying light in their vision range!

Because my grandads dog barks whenever he sees an animal on TV :rolleyes:

Cats are our masters and play with your mind. They do exactly the opposite that you expect of them. Its part of their grand plan to rule the planet by idleness and slobbery :)
  • Options
    HelbrownHelbrown Posts: 3,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was younger we used to have a cat that loved to watch the snooker, and try to bat the balls as they were rolling. Used to drive my Dad nuts, all you hear from the lounge was him yelling at the cat to get out the way as he couldn't see the tv. :D

Mine used to do that too. He used to lie on top of our old TV and try to get the balls. Also enjoyed football too.
  • Options
    philrocks08philrocks08 Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no he cant work the romote
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son's cat likes that Purina ad where they talk about outside cats and the cat walks thro the grass. My son has a HUGE screen and he was mesmerised (the cat, not our son:D)

Of course, if any animal noises come on the TV or songs that sound like cats get the cats attention. 'Take Me to the Stars above' has a yowl in the background and Straight Ahead by Kool and the Gang made my cat's ears prick up:D
  • Options
    QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me and my partner used to own a cat many years ago, and one day we were watching a wild-life programme about tigers and the cat was watching. The tiger disappeared off the screen and my cat went totally bonkers looking for it around the TV searching for this tiger. Total madness. My dog watches You've Been Framed though. She likes funny things.