Frank Skinner hosts new Room 101

alboyalboy Posts: 245
Forum Member
Apparently reports say the format is going to be the same as the originals, but on the Hat Trick site they say there is going to be 3 celebrities battling out their pet hates. I actually think Frank Skinner is a good choice against hosts Paul Merton or Nick Hancock to provide the fun and sarcasm.

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I've only seen reports that Skinner has been confirmed. I've seen it posted about being a panel show but no report or confirmation about it.

I thought Dara O Briain or even Sean Lock could be good choices. They've both hosted similar shows in the past. I guess Skinner is also a good choice though and the others may have other comitments.
  • alboyalboy Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I've only seen reports that Skinner has been confirmed. I've seen it posted about being a panel show but no report or confirmation about it.

http://www.hattrick.co.uk/ticketing/

I have even managed to get some tickets!
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Paul Merton, but I never really liked him on room 101. Not sure why, but always thought Hancock was better.

Anyway, good news its coming back, whatever the format!
    Forum Member
    alboy wrote: »
    http://www.hattrick.co.uk/ticketing/

I have even managed to get some tickets!
    Thanks. I was only looking up the reports/articles the other day as another posted posted about it being a panel show in another thread.

I think it's a shame that the original format has changed (it was only slightly tweaked between the Hancock and Merton versions) but am still looking forward to it.

Producers seem to want everything to be a panel show with two or more celebs adjudicating. Ask Rhod Gilbert, Genius, It's Only A Theory etc.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the format of this program is tired.
    Forum Member
    Possibly why they've changed the format into a panel competition rather than having the host invariably (in Merton's era) putting the guests choices into Room 101.

As above though, I think producers are getting lazy these days with panel shows and celeb guests.
  • CombatHamsterCombatHamster Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was initially very pleased with this news and I think Frank Skinner is a great choice of host, but the format change disappoints me. As other people have said it's a bit too panel show, which is the last thing TV needs right now.

I wouldn't say the old format got tired but the guests towards the end of the run mostly weren't very good and Paul perhaps was getting sick of the show.

The only other show I can think of off the top of my head that had a similar format was TV Heaven Telly Hell. I enjoyed that too.

I've been thinking for a while that Charlie Brooker and David Mitchell would be perfect guests on this show, I hope they get them on now it's been revived.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frank Skinner = me not watching
  • robertaloud30robertaloud30 Posts: 3,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does anyone know if this means "Opinionated" wont be made anymore?
  • Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    I'll give it a whizz, at the very least.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went tonight to the filming of episode 3 and it was Robert Webb, Fern Britton and Danny Baker - who nominated panel quiz shows, much to the shock of the others!

What is odd is that it's down as a 30 minute show, yet they filmed for 2.5 hours. If they edit that down, they'll lose everything! Yes, Danny Baker did talk quite a bit, but there was quite a lot of good stuff that shouldn't be cut to fit.

The format works though. A subject is picked, they each nominate something (Jeremy Kyle show, too much TV news, Robert Webb's bald patch, self-checkouts, science fiction, punk rock etc) and Frank Skinner ultimately chooses which goes into room 101.

As with any filming, loads of stuff not in the show is as funny, or funnier, as what goes out.

Frank Skinner is also incredibly polite, and was good to the audience and the guests (although he was a bit cheeky in places). All in all, I think it will make a good series.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Went tonight to the filming of episode 3 and it was Robert Webb, Fern Britton and Danny Baker - who nominated panel quiz shows, much to the shock of the others!

What is odd is that it's down as a 30 minute show, yet they filmed for 2.5 hours. If they edit that down, they'll lose everything! Yes, Danny Baker did talk quite a bit, but there was quite a lot of good stuff that shouldn't be cut to fit.

The format works though. A subject is picked, they each nominate something (Jeremy Kyle show, too much TV news, Robert Webb's bald patch, self-checkouts, science fiction, punk rock etc) and Frank Skinner ultimately chooses which goes into room 101.

As with any filming, loads of stuff not in the show is as funny, or funnier, as what goes out.

Frank Skinner is also incredibly polite, and was good to the audience and the guests (although he was a bit cheeky in places). All in all, I think it will make a good series.

thanks for that, what was the set like?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really good, as it was being recorded for HD (as you'd expect) - which means the sets have to look very good these days. The walls (golden colour) looked real, and there's a big screen that shows the categories, clips and the vault in the middle, along with two fake vaults at the sides.

HIGNFY (which I am going to in a couple of weeks!) has a pretty ropey set, but then you don't really see much of it.
  • J-JJ-J Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i always liked this show and i think Frank is perfect for it, chuffed to see him doing more on tv recently, i think in an interview he done he said that he has always had offers but wanted a break but after a fan said to him that they thought he was dead he decided it was time to get back on tv lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He joked yesterday about how he used to be a TV funnyman, then a funnyman and now a man!

I hope a lot of the arguments for putting panel shows into room 101 are kept, but suspect they'll be heavily cut. Not least because the show goes out at 8.30pm!!

(And it didn't go into room 101 either - that was Jeremy Kyle)
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Not least because the show goes out at 8.30pm!!

Friday nights? Or did they say?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I heard Wednesday, but that seems like an odd day. But I definitely got the 8.30 bit as they started with quite a lot of swearing, which would either be cut straight out or replaced by toned down versions.
  • Audio RebelAudio Rebel Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll bet a fiver that Sarah Millican will make a guest appearance during the first series. :p:rolleyes:
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,590
    Forum Member
    I think I heard Wednesday, but that seems like an odd day. But I definitely got the 8.30 bit as they started with quite a lot of swearing, which would either be cut straight out or replaced by toned down versions.

Odd day & time to air it, used to go out at 10pm when it was on BBC2, would have been perfect for 9:30pm on Fridays, after HIGNFY. Looking forward to see it. Imo sounds like it'll be a good idea for an extended late night repeat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I don't get is that they recorded about 2.5 hours and if it's to be just 30 minutes, they won't just cut out the waffle - but all the good stuff too.

Okay, all TV records a lot more than is aired - but within reason. I go to most HIGNFY recordings and that doesn't go on for that long, and they even began to air an extended version of that. I don't know if Room 101 will get that too.

While a 'directors cut' version is a good idea, it's a bit odd for HIGNFY as it's a topical show, and so why you would wait to watch the longer version instead of watching it on Friday? And if you watch on Friday, you'd have to be a hardcore fan to watch what's essentially the same show with some extra bits added in.

Room 101 isn't topical, so it could work - but it's hardly like a movie where the extended version comes out many months (even years) later.

Another funny thing I also remembered from yesterday was Danny Baker slagging off repeats on Dave, and when they do back-to-back nights on shows. Robert Webb's face was so funny as he almost cried 'but this will be on Dave' in his special style. I suspect that will get cut too.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was also at the recording last night! It was a good show, and I too am glad Frank Skinner is back on TV. Although his radio show and podcast is still the best thing he does.

In terms of scheduling – they did indeed say it was going out at 8:30pm. Also, it’ll be on BBC1, a first for Room 101.
    Its not scheduled to air until January so speculating a day is pure guess work at this stage, but I’d be surprised if it wasn’t on Friday nights. But as we are talking several months away I think even the 8:30pm time slot could change.

And to the poster who asked if Opinionated is coming back – it is, back on BBC2 in November.
  • UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll bet a fiver that Sarah Millican will make a guest appearance during the first series. :p:rolleyes:

"People who don't like cake. 'Cause I love it and people who don't, make me sad."
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,590
    Forum Member
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    I was also at the recording last night! It was a good show, and I too am glad Frank Skinner is back on TV. Although his radio show and podcast is still the best thing he does.

In terms of scheduling – they did indeed say it was going out at 8:30pm. Also, it’ll be on BBC1, a first for Room 101.
    Its not scheduled to air until January so speculating a day is pure guess work at this stage, but I’d be surprised if it wasn’t on Friday nights. But as we are talking several months away I think even the 8:30pm time slot could change.

And to the poster who asked if Opinionated is coming back – it is, back on BBC2 in November.

Thanks for clearing that up, i think Room 101 is perfect for a Friday night slot, especially as BBC see Fridays as the main comedy night, as it's not airing until the New Year then i'd put it at 9pm on Fridays, with maybe an extended edition over the Weekend.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for clearing that up, i think Room 101 is perfect for a Friday night slot, especially as BBC see Fridays as the main comedy night, as it's not airing until the New Year then i'd put it at 9pm on Fridays, with maybe an extended edition over the Weekend.

You may be right, I suspect the ‘8:30pm’ slot was given to Hat Trick as guidance so that it is kept family friendly‘ish’ and would then give the schedulers the freedom to slot it before or after the watershed.
  • samusek2samusek2 Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're 100% correct Audio Rebel! :D (although there are certain male comedians who are also on every show). Also, they are also going to be having Josh Groban and Alice Cooper as guests! Here's a list of 17 guests. I don't know how many episodes this series will be.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2011-10-10/frank-skinner-to-present-new-version-of-room-101

I'm curious to know who was on the episodes that people in this thread saw.