Frank Skinner hosts new Room 101

Comments

• jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dumbed down TV I guess... combining the short attention span of many viewers, with boredom setting in if there's not some variety.

When you go Have I Got News For You, they've got it pretty well set up and don't film that much extra (relatively speaking). They don't even do many retakes, but this is one show where they do/did show some extra bits on the following night.
  • LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love this show. Skinner is great- he was one of my fave guests when Nick Hancock did it. Angus Deayton and Richard's E Grant and Wilson were good value. I never took to Paul Merton on it either and i love him on HIGNFY

This could be interesting.
  • GuardianistaGuardianista Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Towards the end of the previous series it did seem to get lamer and lamer with guests talking about their dislike of morris dancing and bovril rather than something a little more interesting.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    One thing I was disappointed in with the latter series of Merton's reign was that it became more of a light hearted chat show and the items were more than often put into Room 101 with out any major argument.

I do wonder how they are going to do this with a panel. Does each panelist just talk about their item for a couple of minutes then it is allowed in or will the panelists have to vie against each other to get their item in?

I fear that these days the won't put the effort in and just let anything go in.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Frank Skinner = me not watching

Frank Skinner = Me watching. Very funny
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    One thing I was disappointed in with the latter series of Merton's reign was that it became more of a light hearted chat show and the items were more than often put into Room 101 with out any major argument.

I do wonder how they are going to do this with a panel. Does each panelist just talk about their item for a couple of minutes then it is allowed in or will the panelists have to vie against each other to get their item in?

I fear that these days the won't put the effort in and just let anything go in.

From the recording I went to, each show has a number of topics, such as ‘school days’. Then for each topic each guest nominates something to be put into Room 101, such as ‘homework’. All three guests, and Frank, discuss the pros and cons of each nomination before Frank has final say over which one item goes in to Room 101. They then move on to another topic…
    Forum Member
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    From the recording I went to, each show has a number of topics, such as ‘school days’. Then for each topic each guest nominates something to be put into Room 101, such as ‘homework’. All three guests, and Frank, discuss the pros and cons of each nomination before Frank has final say over which one item goes in to Room 101. They then move on to another topic…
    How did you think it compared to previous incarnations of the show?
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first thing I would put in Room 101 would be Frank Skinner
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to quite like Skinner, but he has become rather tedious and crap in his latest offerings.

He was quite witty in Baddiel and Skinner Unplanned but it just doesn't come across on his chat shows and variants there off.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from the Friday night episode,the programme will have an extended edition of the Friday night episode (extra 10mins) called "Room 101-Extra Storage".It's on Sunday 22nd Jan BBC1 at 11.55pm.BBC1 Scotland viewers can catch it Monday 23rd of Jan at 00.40am
  • CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful timeslot
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get the 'extended edition' idea. It's too soon to be watched by anyone who watched the 'normal' show a day or two before!

And if you're a fan, would you skip the first showing and wait for the extended one?

If you buy a DVD/Bluray with an extended version, chances are it's some time after watching the original film (or you didn't see it first time around), or you can perhaps watch the extras separately - on their own.

Either take the plunge and make the show 40 minutes in the first place, or just forget it. Does anyone agree? I certainly found it hard to watch the longer HIGNFY (bar the ones where I'd been to the recording) and couldn't skip the first showing as its a topical show!
    Forum Member
    I don't watch the regular versions of QI, HIGNFY or 8Oo10C. I always watch the extended edition, provided it is on. The thing is that you have to check that it is on.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus christ, Sarah Millican is on next Friday's show
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member

I'll be watching- i love Frank
    but i hope that the guests arent the same people all the time like Frank's show.
    ie. Sarah Millican :rolleyes:
  • Golem XofGolem Xof Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    From what I've heard about the new version it seems like they're maintaining the strange "when something goes into Room 101 it disappears from the world forever" conceit. I'm sure they didn't used to say that in the Nick Hancock era (when the show was good) or did they?

It seems like such a stupid idea because they end up saying things like "I can't put France in because then there'll be a big hole in Europe" which is ridiculous. It seems to misunderstand the original point of Room 101 and also the point of the show Room 101. The original was a place where a person is subjected to their worst fear - the show version is surely just a place where things are put in order to acknowledge that they are objects of fear or loathing, like a library or museum of awfulness - not a Pandora's Box that literally contains all bad things in order to keep them from the world.
  • robertaloud30robertaloud30 Posts: 3,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Golem Xof wrote: »
    From what I've heard about the new version it seems like they're maintaining the strange "when something goes into Room 101 it disappears from the world forever" conceit. I'm sure they didn't used to say that in the Nick Hancock era (when the show was good) or did they?
    I actually think they did on occasion with the Nick series..but it is all tongue in cheek anyway so would only say those things for a laugh..but the Nick Hancock era is my favourite too
    I do actually like Frank Skinner so will give it a go..I will also probably just watch the extended version..but only 10 minutes almost doesn't seem worth it in some respects
  • mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    i dont think hes ever quite recovred from his dreadful itv sitcom shane i only saw 1 episode it was downright creepy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Frank just chooses, and has to make up a reason/excuse not to put the others in. In the end, he can totally go against the wishes of the audience - but it's merely an entertainment show.

I think he was fine as a host/presenter, and he was great before filming began and during the breaks. He seems like a nice guy who has had ups and downs, like most people.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrblank wrote: »
    i dont think hes ever quite recovred from his dreadful itv sitcom shane i only saw 1 episode it was downright creepy

Series 2 of Shane has still never been shown afaik. It was shot but ITV dumped it when Frank refused to sign a new deal with them. I didn't mind series 1 but maybe this was a blessing...
  • mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    Series 2 of Shane has still never been shown afaik. It was shot but ITV dumped it when Frank refused to sign a new deal with them. I didn't mind series 1 but maybe this was a blessing...

hes average bloke 2 point 4 kids etc anyway in the only 1 saw a teen yank exchange student who stayed with his family had a crush on him and wanted him to spend a night of passion with him on her last night in the uk at a hotel. he doesnt but did think about it.that was enough never saw it again
  • Rab CRab C Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    I think most panel quiz shows record 2 to 3 hours then cut it down, QI and Would I lie To You Do. They do similar with some radio shows - 'I've Never Seen Star Wars lasted about 2.5hours and it was a shame they had to cut it down as well.
    I went to see a recording of 'They think it is all over' and a lot of the material was un-broadcastable due to guest Jonathan Ross's comments about disabled people.

You had to be there...
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member

quel surprise
  • Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love listening to the podcasts from his Absolute radio show. He is x100 funnier adlibbing than following a script on a tv show.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I went to a recording of Shane series 2, so I must be one of a very few who actually saw an episode.

Actually, it think Paramount Comedy did broadcast series 2, but I may be wrong. It was definitely never on ITV.