Benefits Street: C4 6th Jan 9pm

Comments

• jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    But the people in this show were lied to to gain their participation. That should be a crime.

Maybe they were, maybe they weren't. We don't know - and clearly when the participants saw the end result, some could easily lie and say they never knew. I mean, some of them aren't exactly big on accepting responsibility for anything.

The fact is, they were filmed over a long period of time. They gave permission to be filmed, and surely would have been fully aware that everything they said or did could be captured. I mean, they would have read the contract, no*?

And, despite signing a contract with the production company, I am sure that if they'd really wanted any particular incident removed from the programme there would have been some sort of process to do so.

So, I can't see how it could ever be a crime.

What I will say though is this; Why do so many people gladly volunteer to be filmed in such circumstances? I always wonder that when I see the people on Jeremy Kyle-style shows. Why would you volunteer to take part?

* One could ask if the production company offered to read or explain the contract to any participants that couldn't read. I don't know the answer to that.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I'll go for that one. Channel 4 probably want a Conservative government in 2015.

God forbid
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God forbid

I can't see why they'd care. They'd be seeking to work with whoever was in power, and I doubt these types of programmes would suddenly cease.

They're made because people will watch them. It doesn't matter who is in power at any given time does it? We, the people, watch this stuff and the only way to stop these programmes is incredibly obvious - but still near impossible.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

If I am reading that correctly, 50% are working and the other 50% are not working, but only 15-20% of them are unemployed?

If that is the case, then a fair balanced show would have equally show the same number of working people or more on the show?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I am reading that correctly, 50% are working and the other 50% are not working, but only 15-20% of them are unemployed?

If that is the case, then a fair balanced show would have equally show the same number of working people or more on the show?

It shows the people who agreed to be shown. That's all.

I guess most people told the production company to sod off as they could imagine how things might look when broadcast.

As I said before, why do some people agree to make themselves look so bad? Is it the desire to be famous, at any cost?
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you base it on households where at least one person is in work, it's over 60% for the two areas James Turner Street straddles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »

It is shows how many people as a percentage of the whole street are employed or unemployed. It does not show the number of people who agreed to be shown.

I should have read further but it was not on screen.

The press were saying that 90% of the street was unemployed, but the stats show it was less than 50%.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you base it on households where at least one person is in work, it's over 60% for the two areas James Turner Street straddles.

Thank you, so it shows how biased the press were by saying over 90% did not work.

How they got that figure is a mystery.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was how many people were on benefits, not those out of work?

There is a difference - as has been explained on here. Many people are in receipt of some type of benefit but might be in work.

We receive child benefit, for example, but both of us work.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I guess most people told the production company to sod off as they could imagine how things might look when broadcast.

As I said before, why do some people agree to make themselves look so bad? Is it the desire to be famous, at any cost?

The ones that are shown probably wanted people coming up to them and asking them if they were the ones in Benefits Street. If they think they're going to be famous, they're very deluded.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was how many people were on benefits, not those out of work?

That might be what the media means by 90% are on benefits. But that would be disingenuous if so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    The ones that are shown probably wanted people coming up to them and asking them if they were the ones in Benefits Street. If they think they're going to be famous, they're very deluded.

Infamous more like. I get the impression White Dee believes she does no wrong, and is the Godmother of the street.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really is turkeys voting for xmas with this whole "welfare is bad" thing.

Much of the general public don't understand what this government call "benefits".

Meanwhile the state underwrites getting onto the housing ladder... (so welfare for the better off, deny it from those who need it the most)

Surely this government is a elaborate practical joke?
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    It really is turkeys voting for xmas with this whole "welfare is bad" thing.

Much of the general public don't understand what this government call "benefits".

Meanwhile the state underwrites getting onto the housing ladder... (so welfare for the better off, deny it from those who need it the most)

Surely this government is a elaborate practical joke?

The Government is just a joke
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    It's a shame people are attempting to knock any chance of the residents from gaining a media profile/paid job. Who cares how tacky it will appear to be.
    Forum Member
    It's a shame people are attempting to knock any chance of the residents from gaining a media profile/paid job. Who cares how tacky it will appear to be.

true, if they can get a job, some good would have come from this program
    Forum Member

Have no sympathy for drug dealers
  • NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samora Roberts is 'Black Dee' right?

The truly worrying thing to me is that she & her friends had these class A drugs in their houses where there are small children & she & one of her friends were in possession of ammunition, which probably means there are guns not too far away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Samora Roberts is 'Black Dee' right?

Yes she is 'Black Dee'.

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/crime/2014/01/25/black-dee-among-seven-charged-in-benefits-street-police-raids/

They could lose their council homes if found guilty.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny how the Police raid a ton of houses while the series is on and just a day after Iain Duncan Smith tells the Telegraph that some on tax credits spend their extra money on drink and drugs while neglecting their children.

I suspect there might be something to this raid - the plan to link welfare to criminality. Not the first time it's happened.
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Funny how the Police raid a ton of houses while the series is on and just a day after Iain Duncan Smith tells the Telegraph that some on tax credits spend their extra money on drink and drugs while neglecting their children.

I suspect there might be something to this raid - the plan to link welfare to criminality. Not the first time it's happened.

The initial raids were carried out in June according to this article that I read earlier on today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't let facts get in the way of an anti Tory rant!
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes she is 'Black Dee'.

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/crime/2014/01/25/black-dee-among-seven-charged-in-benefits-street-police-raids/

They could lose their council homes if found guilty.

Well my neighbours been convicted twice for drug dealing and served jail terms and he hasn't lost his council house