Options

Which films do you find the most scary, even though it's rediculous.

Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
Forum Member
✭✭
I know it sounds strange, but Carrie, the origonal, completely freaked me out. I thought that the mother was the creepiest woman ever. Especialy when she died.... And that horrible mad expression on her face.

Comments

• Options
    Chocolate MonkeChocolate Monke Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like many others, I've watched enough horror/slasher/thrillers to no longer be scared or surprised by the majority of them, as they are mostly predictable (yes, Drag Me To Hell, I'm talking to you :D), but I do have some that genuinely chill me:

An American Werewolf in London - now I must emphasise that, watching this again now, I find it entertaining, ridiculous but not scary, but it took a long time for me to be able to rewatch it, after a viewing of it when I was about 6 (horrible brother letting me watch it!) set me up with nightmares for a couple of years. So I still remember it as a scary film, even though it's not anymore.

But ones that I still find pretty chilling are:

The Others
    The Ring (US version) - Samara crawling out of the tv is one of the creepiest film scenes of recent years (although when I rewatched it with my ex, he ruined the atmosphere by laughing throughout it - it somehow didn't seem as scary with him doing that!)
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Not really sure it's that ridiculous to think Carrie is scary, I was expecting an answer like Teenage mutant ninga turtles or something :D

I always found the opening to Ghostbusters scary, ghost in the library :p
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    The Ring (US version) - Samara crawling out of the tv is one of the creepiest film scenes of recent years (although when I rewatched it with my ex, he ruined the atmosphere by laughing throughout it - it somehow didn't seem as scary with him doing that!)

At the start with the girl in cupboard is quite creepy as well I thought.
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    No films really scare me now, but I do get creeped out by Psychological Horror more than the other Horror sub-genres, or stuff like Ils/Them.
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    Not really sure it's that ridiculous to think Carrie is scary, I was expecting an answer like Teenage mutant ninga turtles or something :D

I always found the opening to Ghostbusters scary, ghost in the library :p

I don't think most of the film Carrie is scary, just the mother... There's something about her.

Plus Carrie :rolleyes: come on, who finds the film scary these days.. But no other character has ever come as close to freaking me out as that red headed nutter, Carrie's mother Mrs White.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horror films these days aren't scary. They focus more on buckets of blood rather than atmosphere. A few buckets of dry ice, some lightning and clouds drifting across a full moon add a lot more atmosphere and creepiness than a few gallons of fake blood.

Scariest recent movies for me were 'Signs' and 'Alien Abduction - The McPherson Tapes' Aliens creep me out.
  • Options
    trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    At the start with the girl in cupboard is quite creepy as well I thought.

thankyou, thankyou, thankyou - people say i am crazy for saying this film can be creepy, especially as it is a remake of the "superior" ringu.

my wife and i watched the US version at the cinema when it came out, and although we weren't "scared", it has a real atmosphere of uncomfortable, freaky dread that runs through it from start to finish. the imagery, the noises, the jerky movement of the girl in the well, the unfolding plot which has you glued to see just what "the ring" is. :eek:

i think it is great
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it sounds strange, but Carrie, the origonal, completely freaked me out. I thought that the mother was the creepiest woman ever. Especialy when she died.... And that horrible mad expression on her face.

Call me insane but I actually quite fancied the mother. Can't work out why tho. Maybe I have a thing for insane religious fanatics :D

I can watch any horror. They do not scare me at all, I enjoy them immensely but they don't frighten me, never have. The only film that really truly scared me and creeped me out was (and still is) The Elephant Man. It's nothing to do with his grotesque form, it's the whole Victorian freakshow vibe of the film, and the constant hum of machinery, the black & white oppressive cinematography, the hopelesness of his situation. It just chilled me to the bone and it's one of the few films I can't watch as it stays with me too long and seriously affects my mood.
  • Options
    Robert RomarinRobert Romarin Posts: 11,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although it's obviously not 'pure' horror, I think 'Predator' was the scariest film I've seen.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was younger, the first half an hour of the Evil Dead used to scare me silly, and the first half hour of American Werewolf in London (especially the bit where Jenny Agutter opens the curtains and where he has the nightmare about being in the woods).

As an adult, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me really makes me feel uneasy, I have no idea why :confused:
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Titanic. The thought of watching it freaks me out.
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    especially as it is a remake of the "superior" ringu.

The original is superior, and far more creepy. The CGI on the ghost in the remake was terrible compared. I do however adore the scene in the remake with the Horse, that was just horrible and disturbing, nice touch in the remake.
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although it's obviously not 'pure' horror, I think 'Predator' was the scariest film I've seen.
    Aneechik wrote: »
    When I was younger, the first half an hour of the Evil Dead used to scare me silly, and the first half hour of American Werewolf in London (especially the bit where Jenny Agutter opens the curtains and where he has the nightmare about being in the woods).

As an adult, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me really makes me feel uneasy, I have no idea why :confused:

How is finding Predator, Evil Dead or American Werewolf scary even faintly ridiculous?
  • Options
    IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    The only (supernatural) films that I still find unsettling after a fair number of viewing are The Changeling starring the late George C Scott:

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0080516/

also, The Woman in Black:

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0098672/

nothing else unsettles or frightens me. I recently watched The Evil Dead and that was so bad it was funny (which was part of the intention I guess).
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Rain426 wrote: »

Scariest recent movies for me were 'Signs' and 'Alien Abduction - The McPherson Tapes' Aliens creep me out.

Yep this does it for me too- was this the one with one of the family dies on the couch and they trap one of the aliens in a closet??
  • Options
    ugglauggla Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iggyman wrote: »

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0098672/

also, The Woman in Black:

I watched this when it was first broadcast during xmas in 1989 my mate nearly had a heart attack when the women was hovering over the bed.

i nearly knocked my can of cheap lager all over myself lol

damn that WAS scary

as a kid poltergeist(prob spelt wrong lol) i couldnt watch alone it really did scare me
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I.T and the Exorcism of Emily Rose.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    I'm more fascinated than scarred by Sci-Fi Horror flicks, I was is awe of the hybrid alien in Alien Resurrection, especially how he met his end. The screams were chilling :/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I just watched Cursed and Village Of The Dammed, and they are scary ,but ridiculous...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep this does it for me too- was this the one with one of the family dies on the couch and they trap one of the aliens in a closet??

Err yes pretty much. The woman falls unconscious early on in the movie, then later on they find she's not breathing, and can't save her. And they manage to lock one of the aliens in an upstairs bedroom.

It just creeped me out the way the camera just glitched just as something was about to happen. Was very cleverly done I thought.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Rain426 wrote: »
    Err yes pretty much. The woman falls unconscious early on in the movie, then later on they find she's not breathing, and can't save her. And they manage to lock one of the aliens in an upstairs bedroom.

It just creeped me out the way the camera just glitched just as something was about to happen. Was very cleverly done I thought.

The scene in the bedroom with the alien behind the door almost made me poop meself! :o
  • Options
    Freddy_LivesFreddy_Lives Posts: 1,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arachnophobia.

To anyone who doesn't mind spiders it's probably hilarious.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    I just watched Cursed and Village Of The Dammed, and they are scary ,but ridiculous...

Cursed was not scary at all , werewolves can be scary but not when they can speak and stick their middle fingers up at you! :D:p
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Long Time Dead (2001).
  • Options
    IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    Arachnophobia.

To anyone who doesn't mind spiders it's probably hilarious.

You should try watching Eight Legged Freaks, you'll LOVE it ........... ;)